Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

41 - 60 of 470 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great article. To bad most testosterone filled newbies with money wont listen to it. These bikes are not toys, they WILL kill you if you dont know what your doing. Its all about seat time, do yourself a favor, start on something small like the article says.

1st bike - 2006 Katana 600 -sold it for $300 more than i bought it for
2nd bike - 2007 GSXR 600 - sold it for $1200 more than i bought it for
3rd and current bike - 2005 CBR 600RR ....LOVE IT

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started on a Honda VTR250 I don't think you guys get them in the USA I'm in Australia, I agree with everything that was said in that picture, everyone should start on a smaller capacity bike regardless of who you are or what experience you have, riding on the road is nothing like motocross or track. the reason the smaller capacity bikes teach you how proper road craft and help to get braking points right before you start doing it at warp speed on a bigger bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Very valid points. I rode the family's rebel first for a while and I'm glad I did. But I didn't put as many miles as some would recommend. My 03 is my first bike technically speaking. It really is hard to wait. Riding's in my blood and I may have grown up around bikes and ridden them every now and then, but nothing will prepare you for real traffic situations. Its a completely different story getting on the road. I spent those first 500 miles developing traffic habits more so than learning how to ride. So unless your a pro don't ride a sport bike the first day you get your endorsement no matter how much experience you've had on private roads or in the dirt. Just take at least one ride on something else. I may have jumped the gun some, but I'm glad I did the miles I did on a cruiser.

****In the end, it all depends on the person riding the bike****

·
Registered
264 Posts
First bike is my 06 rr. Second, crf 50

What do you guys think about dirt bike/dessert experience?

Game changer IMO. And riding a bike as a kid a LOT

·
Registered
2 Posts
50cc minitrail

1st bike was a 50cc Honda minitrail, then came the 1987 Honda TLR200 trials bike. I was so short back then I had to start and stop from my Dad's front porch steps, couldn't keep me off it though! First sportbike ride came on a 600f2 and a couple weeks later I was the proud owner of 1999 CBR600F4. Without prior experience, I think most would be overwhelmed, however, some can just do it. With that said, can't wait to go back out on my 2011.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first bike was an '05 Aprilia RS125. Brilliant little thing, I am only the rider I am today through the lessons I learned on it, and my 2nd bike: 88 Honda Hawk GT 650 / Bros 650. Low power, but awesome handling and -very- forgiving of my mistakes. The countless times I made mistakes and it caught them, giving me a massive shot of adrenaline and a good few days of thinking over it afterwards... too many to count. Thanks to the extremely forgiving nature of both those bikes, I lived to ride another day.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great advice!

The first bike I actually bought was my 05 600RR (Used)

Rode dirt bikes from the age I could handle 2 wheels and cruised around my dads Red Yamaha Riva 125 for a while as well. LOL APPLEGUY!!!!

Surprised i didn't see a honda rebel 250 on that list but I guess the article is geared for people looking for the sport look.

I've only been with 1 person that bought a new bike. Talked him out of the 750 and tried to talk him out of the 600. 600 is really too big for a new rider. Sad to say, his second day, he layed it down and dropped it a few times before the month was over.

Taking the MSF course should be MANDATORY!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Good article.

CB250 & CBR250RR -> NSR250RR -> CBR600RR.

Definitely agree. Start on an easy naked then progress onwards.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My first bike...1980 XR 80...does that count?

Same argument could be had for someone looking into a dirtbike too (my first loves) starting on a 2stroke 250 is a huge no no. They are just about the same in not dealing with mistakes on the throttle. Damn things will lift the front wheel and send you flying faster than you can count to three, and yes that happened to me once or twice haha. I got a shattered elbow a few years ago to prove it....not as funny.

·
Registered
170 Posts
xr70 then to a 4 wheeled 04yfz450, now i own a 09 yz250f, and a 09 600rr..had some time on the dirt so i thought it would be a good ordeal to ride on the road..still a little new to the whole tuck and lean into the corner instead of throw the leg out andturn the bike down haha

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
My 600RR was my first street bike but I used to ride my dads KLX250 and DR650 dual purpose bikes a reasonable amount on the street. I've also had been riding dirtbikes for about 10 years or so.

I certainly remember learning how to ride in general. I can't imagine hopping on a supersport and still be learning the controls and getting used to how a motorcycle behaves.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My First bike Was dirt, and it was and XLR 70, had that for a few years as a younger child (i was 5 when i got it) then I had a 2 stroke KLX 65. then once i grew out of that i had a CRF 250 for a while, and also owned a couple quads; yamaha blaster and a Honda EX400.
Havnt road dirt in a couple years. I've road 600s before, and will be getting my first 600rr on Tuesday.

I believe a supersport as your first motorcyle EVER is definitely a bad idea.
but if You have prior background knowledge and experience with motorcycles, Take the damn course and get some track time in now and then, then you'll be fine.
I know a lot of people who started on 600RR's and GSXR-600s. and are now telling me to get a 1000 out the bat. But ill stick with a 600RR. plenty of power and speed for anyone in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I,m glad i saw this post this 19 year old kid at my work was talking about buying an R1 for his first bike hopefully after he reads this it might change his mind

·
Registered
561 Posts
I,m glad i saw this post this 19 year old kid at my work was talking about buying an R1 for his first bike hopefully after he reads this it might change his mind
Let him. If the bike doesn't get him first then the insurance will. Could you imagine paying insurance on an R1 at 19 years old, Can you say 2 grand a year?

41 - 60 of 470 Posts