Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound like a stupid question or just a technicality, but I'm wondering if I could ride on a PCH with a permit, since it's a "highway" and not a freeway.

·
Registered
276 Posts
PCH = Pacific Coast Highway

Yes you can ride on it with a permit. With a permit, you can ride anywhere but a freeway. No night riding or passengers either.

Feel free to ask this in the West Coast forum section if you require more localized information.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would consider Pacific Coast Highway just a busy large street, but some might consider a highway to be the same as a freeway. Thus.. my questions on technicalities.. maybe I should just call the police department.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well.. fyi.. highway patrol says it still counts as a freeway and you can't do it.. :( oh well, guess I gotta finish my MSF first.

·
Registered
276 Posts
********. What section are you asking about? PCH is a divided highway, and does not count as a freeway. Basically, if there are signs saying "freeeway entrance" and "no motor driven cycles or pedestrians allowed" its a freeway.

The only exception I can think of is when PCH joins up to the 5 through Camp Pendelton.

The person on the phone probably told you no because they didnt know and didnt want the responsibility of "Mr. SoAndSo said it was ok."

·
Registered
276 Posts
CVC Section 12509 subdivision (e)
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d06/vc12509.htm

also operate a motorcycle, motorized scooter, or a motorized bicycle, except that the person shall not operate a motorcycle, motorized scooter, or a motorized bicycle during hours of darkness, shall stay off any freeways that have full control of access and no crossings at grade, and shall not carry any passenger except an instructor licensed under Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 11100) of Division 5 of this code or a qualified instructor as defined in Section 18252.2 of the Education Code.

The key point being - shall stay off any freeways that have full control of access and no crossings at grade

Since PCH does not have full control of access (i.e. no on-ramps) and has crossings at grade (i.e. railroad tracks and signals) it does not qualify as a freeway for references to California Vehicle Code section 12509 as it relates to provisional licensing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. That clears things up. umm.. my MSF is done this weekend, so I won't get a chance to make use of it though. that's what I get for keeping busy with work instead of reading the 600rr forums.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cool, I was wondering what exactly a permit allowed someone to do on a bike. How long does a permit last for once you take and pass the written test at the DMV?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine expires in 1 year. Pretty sure you can just renew it though, if you don't get a lic. by then.

·
Registered
163 Posts
noisehr said:
Well.. fyi.. highway patrol says it still counts as a freeway and you can't do it.. :( oh well, guess I gotta finish my MSF first.
Dude... freeways don't have red lights, and they don't allow pedestrians and bicycle riders. All of the above are found on PCH. PCH is just a road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i thought you are allowed to ride on freeway with a permit & the restriction is no night time riding?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To reclarify, this is based on CA state laws. According to the DMV, permit means, no passenger, no freeways, no night time riding.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I read some where that 50% of the motorcyclists in the US do not have a motorcycle license. With a permit, you are better than 50% of them :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
TOMIMOTO said:
Wow you joined in Aug03 and you only have 89 posts.
I joined in may 04 and have only recently been more active.

As for PCH... I'd just ride it. If anything, just argue that you want to get experience on the freeway without being on an official freeway (it's a highway). And argue the scenery (though maybe you shouldn't cuz that would mean you aren't paying attention to the road).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts