Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody use soft body armor when riding for protection purposes? And I'm not referring to motorcycle specific armor I'm talking about "bullet proof" vests as some refer to them as.

I was thinking about mine today and how it's primary function is to dissipate energy. Isn't that what we are looking to do in the event of an off?

It won't prevent spinal injury like a back protector would but I think it might prove handy in a crash. Anything is better than nothing I guess.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
117 Posts
it would be pretty awesome to have if someone started shootin!!
but isnt bike armor created more for holding up while sliding? with a smaller component for the impact of a crash? i know my icon stryker field armor has the d3o smart armor in it which is for impact and ashfault technology for the sliding part. im sure your vest would work great tho, would you have the trauma plate in the chest of it?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
Does anybody use soft body armor when riding for protection purposes? And I'm not referring to motorcycle specific armor I'm talking about "bullet proof" vests as some refer to them as.

I was thinking about mine today and how it's primary function is to dissipate energy. Isn't that what we are looking to do in the event of an off?

It won't prevent spinal injury like a back protector would but I think it might prove handy in a crash. Anything is better than nothing I guess.

Thoughts?

if i recall, body armor is designed to stop a bullet for sure

but it SUCKS with abrasion and sharp pointy object penetration (like a knife)

Reactions: ninja rr

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bullet proof vests are designed to stop the impact of bullets. It is not meant to stop larger objects (curbs, a car's bumper, etc).

And besides, look at the price point. (below link is just an example)
http://www.bulletproofbodyarmorhq.com/

Easily $500+ for a bullet proof vest. Whereas a chest and back protector designed for motorcyclist in mind, is around $200. An extra $300+ a product that was never designed for motorcyclists...

And I'm not even referring to the military grade kevlar plates that are SUPER heavy...

·
Registered
182 Posts
kinda o.t.
a while back I heard about bullet proof carbon fiber that was pliable/moldable like the stuff doctors use for wrist braces.
do any of you carbon guys know anything about this?

·
Registered
991 Posts
your average BP vest would not do much for you in the event of a crash. Bullets are very very small objects traveling at incredible speeds, so the vest spreads the force of the bullet over a large area but it still hurts like hell to get shot. They dont do much good when a large object collides with them, for example a bumper or a telephone pole, and they definitely dont work very well for abrasion resistance because they will catch on the pavement and most likely ride up and leave your bare skin exposed. Spend your money on gear designed for a bike and save the vest for busting down doors.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was more curious I guess. The agency I work for uses ATV's in the more remote areas and by policy we had to wear our body armor for protection or a true motorcycle chest protector. None of the agents that worked with me on my crew opted for the chestprotector and I wondered about the body armors actual effectiveness in a crash, on or off-road.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Offroad it might be semi effective for abrasion because you will probably be sliding on dirt and the extra padding will cushion you a little bit. Still, I would go with the armor that is designed for your specific activity. If a BP vest was the most affective solution I guarantee there would be more private companies supplying it and more customers wearing it.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think cost keeps products where they are. Looking at my 1 piece and my Kevlar jeans they all have small amounts if Kevlar I side for protection too.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
I think cost keeps products where they are. Looking at my 1 piece and my Kevlar jeans they all have small amounts if Kevlar I side for protection too.
its a difference in how its applied

the kevlar in your instance is used to help keep the protection material together

the kevlar in a vest is just that,

kevlar does not do good with abrasion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.