Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this for my friend because his internet crapped out on him.

He changed his front brake lever with an ASV. Now, the lever needs to be pulled in about 80% for the front brake to grab. He has not tampered with the brake lines or the reservoir. The problem started after he changed his brake lever. Any help on how we can tackle this problem will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance :wave:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I like to hear the answer on this. I have a similiar problem.

my brake lever is firm if you pull it quick, but if you pull it slow to scrub a just hair of speed or to trail brake into a corner, it has a lot more travel. It really shakes my confidence in my brakes.

I have bled the mc and the calipers multiple times, and there is never any air in the lines.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I would try all the normal things... Seems like a little air might have worked it's way in while you were working on it.

Go get a NEW can of fluid, because it absorbs water over time, and bleed the lines. If it still exists, pull the lever in and use a zip tie (or similar) to hold it over night or 12 hours or so. This will cause the bubble to shrink because of the pressure and normally float to the reservoir.

If you haven't changed your brake fluid in a while, this should be on you list of general maintenance even if it's not discolored. Once a year for my street bike, twice for my race bike.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Just because no air comes out doesn't mean there isn't any stuck in the lines.
Also when was the last time the brake fluid was changed?

·
BOTM 07/09
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he has an 07 with roughly 1,100 miles on it. i'll have him take the replace brake fluid and bleed lines method. thanks!

·
Registered
159 Posts
easy way to tell if you got air is to pump it crazy and then bleed, that usually gets the air mixed around. downside is that instead a couple of big bubbles coming out you got too many small bubbles. just buy a vacuum pump, saved me a lot of time and less likely to get air back into system.

·
Registered
148 Posts
old post but did that method work for ur friend metallica? I put on a set of ASVs, did one track day, and now Im having the same issue. I have to pull in the brake lever way further to engage the brake.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
Depending on how hard you ride you may have simply boiled the fluid, bleed the system and see how you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts