Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Sold my Gixxer 1000, need affirmation!

2K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Monstrosity 
#1 ·
Ok, I've had an '08 CBR600 and also a GSX-R1000 both for a while, but I finally sold the Gixxer.

It was in new condition, nice pipe, PC3, blah blah. A 37-year old fireman bought it who had quite a bit of biking experience, so I feel fairly confident it went to the "right person" to handle it.

I struggled everyday on which bike to sell. I think I like the 600 more in every way except that 1k had just incredible nuclear-like power, man. I made myself stop riding it just so I would forget how much seamless push it had.

The bikes were earily similar to ride, except the Gixxer was heavier, and had more power. The seating position was very close, so it was easy to swap back and forth. The CBR tossed around like a toy though, and is fun as hell to rev, so I decided to keep it over the Gix.

Every time I would ride the CBR I would just marvel at the overall package, how awesome they are and FUN as hell to ride.

I think I made the right choice keeping my CBR, but a part of me misses the big Gix.

Will everyone do me a big favor and tell me I did the right thing. :wave: I need a little CBR affirmation.

Here's a few pics of the bikes together the day before I sold it...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wise choise, I really like that I have a little more room to play around with the throttle before I am too fast. A little breathing room with the throttle giving me more control makes me feel alot more comfortable on the 600 versus 1000.

I know people might burn me, but I really feel more in control with my 600RR versus the 1000RR etc. They get really fast really quick, which is good for drag racing, but on the street the 600 is fast enough. Just my $0.02.

Again, wise decision....

Cheers,

#5 ·
Wise choise, I really like that I have a little more room to play around with the throttle before I am too fast.
I think that sums it up. I have more fun with the 600 because I can use more of it. Someone in another thread said it's fun to ride a slower bike fast, then to ride a faster bike slow, and I agree!

boomer, why didnt you just get a 750? It would be a good medium between both bikes...

Also, I had no idea how small the cbr looks next to the gixxer lol....I say you should have kept both though. Coming from a 1000, do you feel the 600 lacks power?
I now wonder if I should have got a 750, but honestly I can't think of a time I wish the 600 had more power during my normal street riding, so it's mostly mental.

Yeah, I thought about keeping both but the insurance, money tied up, etc. just wasn't working with my wife and family situation. :)

No, I don't feel the 600 lacks power, it hauls! It just feels way different power wise. It has to rev and buzzes a little, but the 1000 just had this locomotive-like nuclear THRUST. Was just cool as hell, but the speed went up so fast it took some of the fun away. You never could just run her through the gears to hear and feel it, just way too fast for that.

The 600 isn't as small as it looks in that one pic behind the Gix, it's just perspective of the shot. The seat is actually like an inch higher on the 600 than the 1k, but it is a little shorter wheelbase and overall height. The 1k is pretty damn small itself, and smaller than most 600's prior to the new CBR's.

The 08 CBR600RR is a rocketship and has heaps of go for the streets (and track)... still it must suck having to sell the gixxer. they looked so nice together with there almost matching paints jobs.
Hey man, you're supposed to give me affirmation not tell me it sucks. ;) But seriously, my heart wanted to keep both, but my brain said to keep the 600. It's the best bike overall for me, just an awesome package. More than enough power for the street. If you think not you are a danger to society, lol.

I have a matching wakeboard boat too, I'll post a pic if I can dig one up.

Thanks for the comments...

#3 ·
boomer, why didnt you just get a 750? It would be a good medium between both bikes...

Also, I had no idea how small the cbr looks next to the gixxer lol....I say you should have kept both though. Coming from a 1000, do you feel the 600 lacks power? I feel as long as you keep the rpms in the midrange around 6-7 you have all the power you need at your disposal

#4 ·
The 08 CBR600RR is a rocketship and has heaps of go for the streets (and track)... still it must suck having to sell the gixxer. they looked so nice together with there almost matching paints jobs.

Atleast you kept the CBR though. you can now mod the **** out of it with some of the money from selling the 1k:toothy4:

#7 ·
I think you made the right choice. There is nothing that the 600 cant do on the street or track that the 1000 can expect go way to fast. I have owned quite a few bikes over the last 14 years and NEVER bought anything over a 600 and I will hang and usually pass people on the 1000s except in straight away turn of the throttle. Smaller, lighter and more controllable is just more fun.

#8 ·
Coming for a Honda lover you did the right thing man
the money saved after dumping the insurance on the 1K
can and will come handy come RR track time / upgrade time

#9 ·
Good choice!!! Honda is the way to go :icon_lol:

Plus everyone and their grandma drives a gsxr and it's annoying...

#13 ·
Lol, thanks guys. It's been a few days now, and I'm almost completely over any remorse I may have had.

All it takes is a spin on the CBR, and I know I did the right thing. I took her to lunch today, and schwing, love her. I even went to the same stoplight my battery died at, and am mostly over the bad feelings, haha.

As for the lose 50 lbs comment, I'm a pretty heavy guy, but I could be a skeletor and the 600RR wouldn't be as fast as my 1k was, lol.

Nevertheless, it's still a FAST SOB. There is always something faster than what you're on, so you have to pick a happy place, and the 600RR is WAY above the requirements for happiness power wise.

Thanks again guys for helping me out. I truly love my CBR, I think Honda just hit a home run with these things. I haven't loved a bike like this since my original '87 Hurricane!

I think I love it even more now that it's my only bike. Hard to explain, but I feel more attached to it.

#14 · (Edited)
Lol, thanks guys. It's been a few days now, and I'm almost completely over any remorse I may have had.

All it takes is a spin on the CBR, and I know I did the right thing. I took her to lunch today, and schwing, love her. I even went to the same stoplight my battery died at, and am mostly over the bad feelings, haha.

As for the lose 50 lbs comment, I'm a pretty heavy guy, but I could be a skeletor and the 600RR wouldn't be as fast as my 1k was, lol.
You definitely made the right choice!

Im sure this was covered, but if you looking to wake up the 600RR a bit, definitely look into doing a -1 +1 (or +2) 520 conversion. It pretty much eliminates all the midrange lag in the 4K-8K rpm range and will turn it into a beast. Its one of the best mods for our light and nimble 600's IMHO.

#15 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I did -1 on the front like the 2nd day I had it, and it's fine the way it is now.

I may move to a 520 when the oem chain wears out, but the stocker's fine for now.

I really am happy with the power, and I don't want to raise the cruise RPM's any higher. It's already screaming pretty good!

I think my next mod will be Motovation anti-vibration bar-ends. The motors in these things are decently smooth, but really the worst buzz it has is between 4500-7000 rpm, right in the sweet spot on the highway.

#17 ·
good choice the cbr is a much more beautiful bike in my oppinion but i liked your 1k it had a very nice paint job.

#21 ·
they are both fantastic bikes. I've ridden that same exact gix1k and it seems to ride almost like my 06cbr just with a buttload of power.

good choice with the honda. would've been nice to keep both; gixxer for the street and cbr for the track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.