Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What it says in the title.

My bike was operating outside of the expected temperature range, and the thermostat didn't appear to be working correctly; at idle, the fan would kick on, but the temperature continued increasing. I replaced both the radiator cap and thermostat, and the air filter (because it hadn't been replaced, and I was already there, so why not?), put everything back together, started it up... And immediately got a check engine light. Everything appears to be working, although the engine doesn't sound exactly right; maybe running a little rough? I'm not positive.

So, first: what diagnostic tool would I need to be able to figure out what the check engine light is trying to tell me? If it's going to be more than a hundred bucks or so, it's probably going to be more cost effective to take it in for service (...which is going to take about three weeks right now, because it's the middle of summer :馃槶:).

Second, does anyone have any idea where I could have gone wrong? I disconnected the battery before starting anything. I labeled all of the the injector plugs before I removed them (1-4) so I could get them back in order, labeled other non-obvious plugs to make sure they went back in the right place, took photos,and cleaned the very few oily parts with new shop towels. I used very tight zip ties on the crankcase breather and PAIR air hoses (easier to manipulate than the steel clips). I made sure the injector seals and injectors were clean and dirt/oil-free before re-assembly. It didn't appear that there were throttle body seals (17222-MFJ-D00 ) in place when I removed the lower air cleaner housing, but the housing itself appeared to be in good shape. (And it worked before I took it apart in the first place, so if it's missing seals ???) I definitely didn't have any parts left over, other than the metal clips for the crankcase breather and PAIR air hoses, and all electrical connections were plugged back together. I feeling like an idiot here.

BOTY 2014 Winner
you probably didn't hook the hose up to the MAP sensor. people do this all the time it's one of the more common threads on this board.

no MIL light when you key on, then it comes on when the bike is running. that's typical MAP.

lift the tank and make sure the hose is on the sensor. it's on the bottom of the airbox. done deal.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
The sensor is 100% plugged in, and screwed to the bottom of the lower air cleaner housing. Unless it got disconnected at the other end? I didn't think so... I don't have the parts diagram memorized, but there are two fatter hoses for the throttle body, and two thinner hoses, and I think--not sure--that the MAP sensor is connected to the thinner hoses. Gotta check my manual diagrams tho.

BOTY 2014 Winner
If the map sensor doesn't see vacuum after the engine starts it'll throw a code

My suggestion is you check it. Take it as you please

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry if I'm coming off like a **** or sound offended; I'm terrifically frustrated after pulling it apart and putting it back together three times now, and missing a perfect, sunny weekend. I usually ride every day, even through winter, and now I've been off my bike for over a week.

Perhaps one of the vacuum hoses got damaged or somehow disconnected?

Registered
That鈥檚 what he鈥檚 telling you, there鈥檚 a vacuum hose on the map sensor that gets forgotten all the time. Probably your issue. Maybe cracked, sometimes shoved off to the side, maybe disconnected at the other end, who knows, but that one throws a code and an engine light.

It鈥檚 like this: if it worked before you pulled it apart and now doesn鈥檛, you need to find what you missed and fix it. Not much we can do to troubleshoot your work with not being there, zero pictures and no other info.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Again, my apologies if my tone sounds off, and I do appreciate the input and ideas.

This is the only image I've got that shows everything; all my other photos were detail shots showing plugs.

I've tried to highlight the MAP sensor; it's attached to the vacuum hose here, but (obviously) not attached to the bottom of the lower air intake assembly.You can see that the fuel injectors are already taken out in this image as well (and I hadn't stuffed shop towels into the throttle body). Lighting is ****. I believe that the MAP sensor assembly (37830-MEL-003) is attached to a bulk vacuum hose (95005-35001-20M). Maybe I put a kink in something and impeded airflow? Maybe I punctured or partially disconnected a hose while the throttle body was off? I'd have to take it apart again to check.

Registered
Take Wibblys advice and check it.
As soon as i lifted the tank cover i could see he was right.
Map sensor hose. Dead easy to miss on reassembly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Update: one of the lines off of the MAP sensor was getting pinched and restricted, which was throwing the code. The lines were all connected properly; I incorrectly routed the MAP sensor vacuum line when I put the fuel injectors back on.

One i re-routed the MAP sensor (fourth goddamn time!), it worked properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts