Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, my wife and i just moved into a new house and my commute to work went from a 15 mile round trip through mostly residential areas to a 40 mile round trip with about 80% of it being on the freeway. i have been riding for a little over a year on my shadow 750, i ride everyday and have put about 13k miles on the bike so i feel i am slightly more experienced than a recreational rider or someone buying their first motorcycle. i was originally looking at a cbr250r for my commute but the length of time i will be spending on the freeway concerns me. the 250 is a fantastic little bike but it wont leave me much power if i ever need it on the freeway. i was thinking the 600 would have ample power and i'll still be able to get decent gas mileage. i know much of the 250 vs 600 discussion centers around the rider, i am in my late 20's and have a wife and son - i ride very cautiously and dont venture into squid land. anyone have similar experiences or comments/opinions on my transition to a 600? thanks guys.

·
BOTM winner 8/13
1,141 Posts
Of course the old bike versus's the new potential bike is two different tigers. Since you have experience I would prefer at least the 600. Decent gas mileage plus power if needed. Have you sat on both to see what feels better to you?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Dude, come on...... You're a grown man. You know you have more than enough experience for the bike. These bikes are not that crazy. Depending on your size and all the highway you do, go check the the 1000RR that might really be the best option for you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i've sat on both bikes, i am 5'6 so the 250 feels more stable at the stock height. i was told by the dealer that the 600 could be lowered slightly.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys, would lowering the bike mess with the geometry so much that I would notice? I don't plan on going to the track. Should the transition from a cruiser to the 600 be easier to handle because of my previous riding experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
My question would be this: have you ridden an RR? Going from a Shadow 750 to an RR for a longer commute may not be what you want in the end. These bikes are not made for comfort.

Make sure it's what you want. They're a ton of fun, I love mine, but buying one specifically for a long commute...? Just make sure it's what you want.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
your cruiser probably gets same mpg as a cbr? (or better...cbr's get about 40 mpg or so)

your cruiser uses a rear tire every 3k miles? (friend on a harley says he gets 8k on a rear)

for commuting and cheap transport a 250 is super efficient.

i am amazed how much $ it takes to keep one of these(cbr) bikes going.

(They're worth it, but it is not a cheap addiction!)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not really concerned with the bike being uncomfortable for the commute. I get to the office pretty early so my ride time will be about 20 minutes. I hadn't thought too much about the maintenance cost. I change the oil myself and do as much in my garage as possible. I guess riding 200 miles a week on average could lend itself to more maintenance. So the cbr is more expensive to ride than the shadow?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I think you have tons of better choices for commuter purposes than the 600RR. The 600RR is okay if your commute isn't that long, but honestly, I think you would enjoy your ride more, if you got something like a naked/standard sport. Oh, and just to let you know, and you probably already know this, but the CBR250 is a standard sport seating position.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honda does have the cb1000r. I thought about it as well given the more upright riding position. I can't find many guys that have ridden both and could help compare them. Again, my commute isn't that bad-only about 20 minutes of riding. The mileage is more but the amount of time it takes it fairly close to my current commute.

·
Super Moderator
6,484 Posts
Yes but the bikes I listed are FUN for all skill levels. Not saying supersport bikes aren't but they are not really intended for the roads, more so the race track.

To be honest, I love my RR but IMHO it's kind of overkill on the street. A more upright bike that has the suspension and brake goodies of it's SS countparts is looking like the way to go. Just a consideration. Also, I wouldn't worry about the seat height. I'm shorter than you and I have no problems on the RR.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Honda does have the cb1000r. I thought about it as well given the more upright riding position. I can't find many guys that have ridden both and could help compare them. Again, my commute isn't that bad-only about 20 minutes of riding. The mileage is more but the amount of time it takes it fairly close to my current commute.

I have both and the CBR1000RR is better for street riding than my 600RR, but only marginally since it's still a supersport.

But the bikes makct04 mentioned are better for street riding...btw, Honda does make the CB599/CB600. Other choices would be the Kawasaki Z1000 (awesome design imo)...you have a lot of options depending on your budget.

Personally, I would get an 07-08 Benelli Cafe Racer and call it a day!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
A CBR600, or any supersport or liter bike for that matter, is a crappy commuter bike. Don't get me wrong, they're fun as hell, but they suck for droning back-and-forth to work. There is a long list of bikes better suited for that purpose. FL-1, FZ-6, SV-650 / 1000, Ninja 650, Versys, Ninja 1K, anything from BMW, etc., etc.

Edit: Personally, I would ride that SHadow into the ground if I were you. that money is already spent.

·
VP of Metal Operations
4,202 Posts
Meh I commute daily an hour each way and I don't have any comfort issues lol Although I have scenic routes I take on my commute. I guess it depends on how your commute is. If its traffic light after light I would say yeah the RR would suck balls for that purpose.

Also I havnt tried it yet but look at the new ninja 300 too.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts