Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mentioned this in my introduction but hope you don't mind me posting here.
Been looking at blue 600rr's for a couple months and came across an 04, 15.5k miles, laid down once, minor scratches on left fairing, crack in front fairing, windshield mount bent, crankcase cover scratched. Inspection shows bike is straight (10-15mph incident).
-valve job not done yet
-rear brakes fairly worn
-otherwise rides straight.
-Only mod is scorpion exhaust
-tires ok
Text me this morning, he'll do 4100 but think this is a bit high and I'd like your highly regarded opinions. Should I wait a month or so or just pick this one up now(has to be blue). I'm afraid prices will keep going up and really need to stick to 4k, maybe a bit more for something really special.
This will be my main commuter and will rack up some miles so I need to consider that for resale in a couple years.
Thanks!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Were there any previous owners? Does the seller have the title in hand? Have you or someone you trust taken the bike for a test ride?

Check the left and right steering heads stops to make sure they are flat and not deformed or indented. This is a good indicator of a tweaked frame.

How does the chain look? How well an owner keeps his chain maintained is normally a good sign of how well the bike has been maintained overall.

Look up the fair blue book value for the bike and subtract the amounts it will cost for you to fix and maintain various things. Minor scratches, rock chips, and normal wear and tear is to be expected but not cracks, gouges, or wear from poor maintenance or abuse.

4100 definitely sounds high for an 04. If he doesn't want to come down on the price then keep looking. You can almost always find a better deal.

I picked up an 07 with 11k that was laid down on both sides for 4800 back in November. Mechanically the bike is fine, I'm just taking my time to fix the cosmetic issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were there any previous owners? Does the seller have the title in hand? Have you or someone you trust taken the bike for a test ride?

Check the left and right steering heads stops to make sure they are flat and not deformed or indented. This is a good indicator of a tweaked frame.

How does the chain look? How well an owner keeps his chain maintained is normally a good sign of how well the bike has been maintained overall.

Look up the fair blue book value for the bike and subtract the amounts it will cost for you to fix and maintain various things. Minor scratches, rock chips, and normal wear and tear is to be expected but not cracks, gouges, or wear from poor maintenance or abuse.

4100 definitely sounds high for an 04. If he doesn't want to come down on the price then keep looking. You can almost always find a better deal.

I picked up an 07 with 11k that was laid down on both sides for 4800 back in November. Mechanically the bike is fine, I'm just taking my time to fix the cosmetic issues.
3 previous owners (which is a lot!), chain was good but this guy was definately not an enthusiast, and he does have a clean title in hand. And rode fine, throttle was a bit loose and that's about it (throttle wasn't razor sharp, nothing that can't be adjusted).

·
Registered
115 Posts
three owners, no title in hand? $4,100. Pass!

ooops misread you post.. Title in hand is better. I still think it is high. but it's your $$

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nah dont go for it...Just be patient in buying a bike...

No title in hand can be a huge issue even if he has the VIN#

Best thing to do is to be patient..I waited about 5 months w/o a bike and then i found my 06 600rr for 3500$ w/ 7k miles on it...Nothing wrong with it either...

Thats just my input..But like gord said its your cash

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had not much more than you to play with. But a supporting wife kept me from jumping on the first thing that came around. I picked up an '07 with 3400 miles on it for just a bit more than your 4100 bucks. The deals are out there, you just have to be patient. Don't be like me and jump on the first thing you see in your price point. I finally fought the urge to buy right away and got a bike that is everything i ever wanted.

·
fast03600rr
9,995 Posts
that seems high to me.. i doubt i would pay over 3500 for a bike like that. theres at least 500 to spent in repairs just to get it looking like it should. so is that bike worth 4600 to you?

·
Registered
444 Posts
yeah i got a friend that's willing to sell his 06 black 600rr for around $5k, with around 5k miles on it... that's usual going rate so I would hold out and find one in that range..

i bought my 06 for 6k with 4k miles, brought from my friend who offered it for 5k, but i told him i'll make payments so i'll pay him an extra thousand for interest.. lol, i got great friends...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn, my friend just bought an 05 gsxr 750 for $1800!!, 30k miles but otherwise in awesome shape and rides beautifully. I missed it on craigslist cause I wasn't looking in that price range, doh! Even though I want the blue honda, still a sweet deal.

oh yeah, it was black, best color on a gsxr imo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts