Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s not a cowboy. It could be a mommy.
Hello 600RR.net. Long time lurker, first time poster.
I have wanted to post before, but every time I have a question, a quick search reveals it has already been asked and answered, very accurately. However, I think I have a relatively original one.

THE INANE BACKSTORY (feel free to skip to question)
A couple of nights ago I walked outside to see my bike and some crap around it. Turns out the crap around it was parts of the bike. It had been knocked over and picked back up. It was parked in the street and some car had most likely backed into it and they picked it up and drove off, assuming no harm no foul. The only problem was, there is decent damage. Well I thought it was just a case of crappy luck and I would have to consider claiming it or just bite the bullet and pay for it.
Later that night a neighbor came by and let me know he was on his balcony and had seen the car knock my bike over. While he did not bother to approach them he at least took down the license plate and car description. He said when he saw them picking it up, he assumed they would also leave a note, but he took down their info just to be safe, thank god he did.
I do not want to go through filing a hit and run, mainly because I don’t think any malice was involved, it was dark and the unwitting cager probably assumed it was minimal and just left. You would think all the broken parts on the ground would have been a tip off!:rolleyes:
I just thought it would be easier to simply write the person a letter saying, “I have a witness who saw you knock over my bike causing damage, please contact me so we can work this out.” This would avoid them having to have a “hit and run” incident or whatever it would be classified as.

THE QUESTION PART!!
I now have the license plate number of the car. I have searched on-line to find an address with no luck. I was hoping that some member of this board would know how to go about finding an address so I can write this person. I will not post the license number here but if anyone has the ability to help me; please PM me and I will give you the number.
I have no intention of pulling a Hammurabi, and thinking,’ he flipped my bike over, I’ll flip his car over!’ I just want to contact him and settle this in a civil manner.
I know there are quite a few fellow 600RR riders who are Law Enforcement Officers, if you guys have anyway of doing this or know how I could do this, please let me know.
The plate was a Virginia plate. I was wondering if I go to the Virginia DMV, would they give me a mailing address? I was under the impression that this info was public record, easily accessible by the plate. Perhaps I have watched Gone in 60 Seconds one too many times, though the car was a Mazda3, not a 1963 Ferrari 250 GTO, so I am not trying to steal his car.
Let me preemptively thank those who read all this and those who have any ideas that they will share.
The other reason I have not posted is, I don’t stop writing once I begin.

Bottom line:
I have a license plate number, I need a mailing address.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
If noone from here can help you, try the DMV as stated. If they won't give out the info, go give a bail bondsman $20.00 to run that plate number for you. Many of the bondsmen have tracking programs that you have to subscribe to on the internet for tracking down bond skips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! See this is why I love you guys and this site! Quick response and a great idea. Feel free to keep them comming, but I like what I hear.

·
Over the berm, and thru the woods, to grandmothers
1,220 Posts
I say get the police involved so you can at least get his insurance to pay for it. You don't have to press the charges against him. Just let the police know that.

·
Registered
258 Posts
flamedRRider said:
I say get the police involved so you can at least get his insurance to pay for it. You don't have to press the charges against him. Just let the police know that.
I agree. Paper trail and an "official" report is the only way to protect yourself. If you leave it up to the person at fault....well thats a hell of a risk. Filing a report doesn't mean you have to press charges. And it seems to me that you have a good eye witness that gave you a tag number. Your only enemy here is time. After a certain period of time...you have nothing.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Call the police. It's your best bet. They will contact the person, and it will still be up to you whether or not to file charges. If they agree to work it out fine, if not, you'll have the cops to back you up. I've got access to NLETS and NCIC, but they are very strictly controlled. I could lose my job for running them for you.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
screw em, that coulda been anything they hit, like an old lady crossing the road or something. Their obviously un-observant, careless and selfish and desrve to get everythng coming to them. Book em Danno!

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
the guy ran your bike over , picked it up , collected all the damaged parts and piled them then drove away he is not a civil person he is an ass file a report cause if you call him he might deny evreything and by that time it might be to late to do anything about it and you would have bsically shot your self in the foot by trying to be a decent civil person protect your own invesment no body else will

H

·
0 Posts
i would have called the police the instant it happened and then called them back once i got the plate information...

quick story for you.. i was rear-ended (in my cage) a few years back... minimal damage, well that is what i though.. a cop did show up and he took down the report, but i told the oterh driver that i would jsut rather settle and not cause him to have his insurance jacked-up.. so i get the estimate and he tells me that he is not going to pay for it since he thinks the price is too high.. so i get a few more estimates, thinking maybe the repair shop was high-balling me.. well the other estimates were in the same range.. so i call the guy back and he still thinks i am trying to pull one over on him.. so i tell him to meet me and we can get the estimate together.. i wait another day and file the claim with his insurance company.. i was tired of playing with him... having the police report is what enabled me to get my money.. the funny part of this is the estimate was like $500-600 and his deductable was $500.. so he still paid this out of pocket and now his insurance was certainly raised... i tried to be the nice guy on this one.. but it did not work...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sometimes you really do have to beat a dead horse...

File the claim, you don't want to be sorry that you didn't. It won't hurt his record as long as he is willing to work with you and you don't press the charges.

Chances are, it's a drunk driver who backed into your bike, thought he'd pick it up and nobody would notice. No sober idiot would pick up the bike and not see the damage and/or parts on the ground.

Quote by Green Day... "Nice guys finish last..."

·
Registered
74 Posts
But it's so fun!,

You asked for a law enforcement opinion. I'm going to give you one.

Stop, do not pass go. Go to Police Department TODAY, not tomorrow, NOT next week.

In my state, Law says he has 24 hours to report this (non-injury) crash. Some departments in my area gives you, the victim, about 48 hours to report this crash. <-- guideline, not law

If I come to your crash scene and you have VERY minimal damage, and decide not to make a crash report. If you call me later on, like next week and say, "He won't pay my $1400 estimate." I'm going to tell you sorry, I can't help you. You chose to do it without police involvement.

The main reason for this is simple. Once you leave the scene and my sight, I have no idea what else has happened to your vehicle, such as getting knocked over by your dog in your own driveway that evening, wife backing into it parked behind her car, etc.

I have had folks crash, leave my crash scene and get hit again on the way home. This is why police officers don't like folks not calling these things in WHEN they occurred.

I have to be fair to everyone. I can't certify that THAT was the damage caused by him/her on that day.

ALWAYS involve the police, even if you think you may get in some kinda of trouble. Better have them on your side, than have to file a claim on YOUR insurance and have YOUR rates go up for the actions of others!

P.S. Hit and Run (Hit-Skip) doesnt require permission. It's up to the officer. I have a court case next week involving a Hit-Skip, DUS, Car thief. I didnt ask my victim on how to charge the suspect.
About your license plate question, In most states, giving out folks personal info taken from BMV files is a FELONY (for non-official matters). A police report would remedy the official matters thing.

Your BMV would know your privacy laws, call them and ask for guidance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all the help. It seems unanimous, go to the police and do it now! Just so I don’t come across as a total fool, I did call the police. I walked outside, saw the situation and walked right back inside, helmet in hand and called the non-emergency number. An officer came out, this was before I had any information about the car, and we debated making a report. He was more than willing, but our concern at the time was if the insurance company needed it for this situation. He told me some do and some don’t. So I called my insurer and had to mess with their late night phone service for the better part of 30 minutes all to have no idea.

The officer was not averse to filing one, but simply thought for a simple knocked over bike the insurance company would not need one and if they did, I could file it at a later point in time, by either calling him or coming down to the station. Of course shortly after this I get the information about the car.

The plot thickens: The neighbor who gave me the info, is just that, a neighbor, not a friend or even acquaintance and I know he has some fear of dealing with the police, I talked to him about bearing witness. He has unpaid parking tickets or something, I don’t know, did not get into it with him. However, I know his information is good for I failed to mention that the car I remember parking behind was that same Mazda3, I just did not get the plate, or see it hit the car.

With all that said, I agree with all of your posts, I will take my new information and go to the Police, and follow that course of action.

RuthlessOne,
Very helpful, yes I assumed that it would not be up to me as how this was perused by the police as to it being a “hit and run” or not. I found the part about the BMV’s giving out information interesting, granted I guess keeping those things private is a good thing. I will call and check with the Virginia BMV, but it is a moot point now, I will go to the police and have this work out that way.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Now that that's out of the way, stop being a "nice guy" and let the police find the smuck that knocked over your bike. If they were such upstanding people they would have figured out a way to get in touch with YOU and arrange for restitution. But they didn't. They ran like little school girls from a scary movie! Now get on that horse and ride cowboy! Then go buy some frame sliders. Good thing you had a neighbor watching or you'd be SOL.

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
thats nothon, mine got knocked over excatly 7 days apart. sunday and sunday, one time, busted the windscreen when it hit the bike next to it, and he was on a bike, thats the best part, stopped, picked up my **** and took off.
a week later, screen replaced, im chillin with my peeps, my noy drunk off his ass tries to sit on my **** and knocks it over, i come outside and i see all these scrates, needless to say hes paying for it.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
snikwad said:
thats nothon, mine got knocked over excatly 7 days apart. sunday and sunday, one time, busted the windscreen when it hit the bike next to it, and he was on a bike, thats the best part, stopped, picked up my **** and took off.
a week later, screen replaced, im chillin with my peeps, my noy drunk off his ass tries to sit on my **** and knocks it over, i come outside and i see all these scrates, needless to say hes paying for it.
Did you spank that ass for being a drunkin' dipshit?

·
Post Whore Extraordinaire
19,904 Posts
naw i left in a mad heat, cause i didint wanna be around him hearing him apologize over and over, or else i woulda been out of a lid also. i came close to clocking him over his head with my shoei. so i just left, even tho i was drinkin i just rode home and parked it.

Oh did i mention when he dropped it it broke the screen Again. so now im waiting on my 3rd screen that i won on ebay on friday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts