Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before you read further, I'm not your typical squid rider that does wheelies up and down the street, rides over his limits on the streets, and doesn't appreciate the type of machine a 600 can really be. I've attended California Superbike School several months ago and had a lot of track time on a BMW S1000RR which is a literbike. Ever since then, I've always wanted the S1000RR or an equivalent. I have taken my CBR600RR to the track several times since I've taken that school so I do have track time under my belt. I don't ride around the streets recklessly like you would think a typical rider that wants a literbike does. I have also applied all of the riding techniques that I learned from California Superbike School while canyon riding but at a much, much lower level. I typically ride 50-70% within my riding limits. I was within those limits when I recently crashed my bike and was not pushing my limits. That being said, I appreciate the type of machine a 600 supersport is and in my opinion it's more than enough for anyone to get around on the streets and even have fun on the track. Like I said earlier, ever since I've spent time on the saddle of a S1000RR on the track for 2 days, I've wanted a bike just like it. I hope this changes your squid rider perception about me!

I have GAP insurance to cover the remainder of the amount owed on the totaled bike (thank god).

Just yesterday I crashed my 2014 CBR600RR and will most likely be considered a total loss. The bike is currently at the shop right now getting a repair quote. The owner of the shop said without a question that my bike will be a "totaled" bike. I still have to submit the repair quote to the insurance company and get the final word from them. Here's the link to my crash thread:

http://www.600rr.net/vb/47-crash-boom-bang/537466-crashed-bike.html

Now, I can't help but to start thinking what my next bike will be. I honestly didn't expect for any of this to happen so I haven't been looking at any of the new bikes lately. I'll be 100% honest and tell you that I've always wanted a liter bike. I started off with the 600 because I wanted to work up the ladder and get the feel of a 600 first before hopping onto the liter bike. I just don't know if it's a good idea for me to make the upgrade now rather than later on.

First of all, I can only afford one bike and this "one" bike is going to be the jack of all trades bike. I wouldn't mind getting a 600 again and be content with another one for the time being, but I just don't want to get the liter bike fever in the near future and have to go through the process of selling the bike and looking for a new one again. I'd much rather set myself up for the long term now than settle for the short term. If I could then I would keep my broken 600 and rebuild it to be a track bike, however, I can't do that at the moment.

I've been told to "follow my heart" in which I totally agree with. Before my 600 I owned an FZ6R for a few months. I got totally unsatisfied with it and upgraded to a 600 shortly after. I took a big financial hit and went upside down big time, but IMO it was worth it because my 600 was 100x more fun than the FZ6R. Has anyone been in my shoes before? If so, what decisions did you make? Did you regret those decisions?

As far as what liter bike I'm thinking of getting, I've been semi-shopping around to see the pricing on some of the newer models. I would want my liter bike to be brand new or low miles. I would also prefer a bike with the full "tech" package. One bike that stood out to me while doing some local online shopping is a 2015 R1 (red/white) that was selling for $13k brand new. I was also looking at the Aprilia RSV4 R APRC or the BMW S1000RR. Decisions decisions decisions...

And of course, I still have to get the final word from the insurance company whether I will keep my 600 and repair it (which I'm hoping) or have them cut me a check to go out and start over again!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Going to check out some bikes tomorrow...

Now that I have a clearer picture of what is going to happen to my CBR, I've become dead set on getting a new bike. I'm going to be looking at a brand new 2015 Aprilia RSV4 R priced at 13k, brand new 2016 Aprilia RSV4 RR priced at 15.5k, and a slightly used 2015 BMW S1000RR priced 14k. I'm going to see if I'm able to demo them if it doesn't rain outside, but I will look at them very closely for sure. I might look at the 2015 R1 as well.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
My advice is before you start getting dead set on anything you find out what insurance is going to run you on these dream bikes after a 1 person totaled bike accident is on your record.

I think you'll be quite surprised.

Then reread your accident thread and decide honestly if 50-100 more horsepower is what you need at this point in your riding career with your skills. One of the reasons this thread has sat unresponded to is no one wants to be honest with you; well, until now I guess. If the term "riding above you limits" or "overconfident" can be used to describe how you ride at times you will not fully enjoy a liter bike and may not live to enjoy it, even with the electronic nanny packages.

Imho.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My vote is for the BMW. Every shootout I've seen has it on top over the competition in most aspects (check youtube for some good comparisons). Try to go on some test rides if possible.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,767 Posts
this is all too common. ultimately it's your decision and I don't expect you to take a lick of advice from this thread. but I hear this from inexperienced riders on an almost daily basis

'yeah I used to have a 600, but I crashed that and moved up to the 1000'

does that statement sound reasonable to you?

do you want a 1000 or do you want people to see you on a 1000.

be honest with yourself.

if I had to suggest a bike for you (especially since you said this is going to be your do everything bike), get an fz09. they are a joy to ride, cheap to own, and half the price of the shiny Italian stuff. and given your obvious budget concerns. that ape shouldn't even be on your radar.

·
Registered
903 Posts
+1 to Miweber929 & Wibbly's posts.

The 600 was totalled due to the rider's shortcomings & now that rider wants a 1000 because of some percieved shortcomings of the 600? 🙄

I think you're bike shopping by looking a pictures in magazines. Bike reviews of the latest tech superbikes by riders with infinitely more experience than you on tracks has about zero relevance to your situation & ability to exploit or even notice the relative capabilities being compared. If this sounds like a harsh insult it's not meant to be. You may be following your heart here but your brain is not being put to good use in the decision. A choice in bikes should involve both.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good luck with the $300 / month insurance on any supersport now. If I were you I would be looking for a bike I could either pay cash for or pay off within a year. Then drop to liability only insurance and accept that if this one is wrecked that it will be your loss.

·
Registered
940 Posts
You need a decently priced used bike and track days to become a better rider, not more horsepower.

Insurance quotes I'm sure will help steer you in that direction.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Listen to these guys. You said you were upside down on the 600 so I assume you had little to nothing to put down when you bought it. Bikes are toys and IMHO should be paid for with cash. Some will argue that keeping and investing the cash will earn you better returns than the cost of interest on a loan, but that doesn't sound like your situation.

You're looking at a bike that costs a few more grand that you'll immediately be upside down on again. Insurance will be higher on a 1k and increase that even more since you have an at fault accident on your record now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
803 Posts
I would take a break, and let time be on your side to decide what you really want to do. Drive the car around and sit tight while you gather your thoughts after this incident.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I knew I would get these types of responses because I would do the same to others as well. Ever since I went to California Superbike School I've always wanted a literbike. I'm not trying to buy a literbike just because I think it's cool. Ever since I hopped on that S1000RR that's when I knew that I would eventually upgrade. I'm pretty open to people's criticism. That's the reason why I posted this on the forums. I already knew that I was going to be flamed by the forum gods. But honestly it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My advice is before you start getting dead set on anything you find out what insurance is going to run you on these dream bikes after a 1 person totaled bike accident is on your record.

I think you'll be quite surprised.

Then reread your accident thread and decide honestly if 50-100 more horsepower is what you need at this point in your riding career with your skills. One of the reasons this thread has sat unresponded to is no one wants to be honest with you; well, until now I guess. If the term "riding above you limits" or "overconfident" can be used to describe how you ride at times you will not fully enjoy a liter bike and may not live to enjoy it, even with the electronic nanny packages.

Imho.
You don't really know the whole story of how I crashed. How do you know that I ride "over my limits" or "overconfident" all the time during the streets? How do you know that I go to track days or not? Just because I posted a thread about my accident doesn't mean that I'm your typical young guy that buys a supersport bike for the looks, crashes, and wants more power.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My vote is for the BMW. Every shootout I've seen has it on top over the competition in most aspects (check youtube for some good comparisons). Try to go on some test rides if possible.
I REALLY like the BMW. I fell in love with it when I went to California Superbike School. It's honestly one of my dream bikes and a bike that I can see myself settling for a long time. However, I have never ridden the BMW on the streets before. I'm hoping that I'm able to test ride multiple bikes especially the BMW to see if it's truly a fit for me.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1 to Miweber929 & Wibbly's posts.

The 600 was totalled due to the rider's shortcomings & now that rider wants a 1000 because of some percieved shortcomings of the 600? 🙄

I think you're bike shopping by looking a pictures in magazines. Bike reviews of the latest tech superbikes by riders with infinitely more experience than you on tracks has about zero relevance to your situation & ability to exploit or even notice the relative capabilities being compared. If this sounds like a harsh insult it's not meant to be. You may be following your heart here but your brain is not being put to good use in the decision. A choice in bikes should involve both.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Crazy. Just because I crashed my 600 so now I shouldn't ride a literbike? I know there are a ton of squids out on these forums that posts these kinds of threads so I'm assuming that you think I'm one of those types of riders. Well so be it then. I'll take your criticism.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good luck with the $300 / month insurance on any supersport now. If I were you I would be looking for a bike I could either pay cash for or pay off within a year. Then drop to liability only insurance and accept that if this one is wrecked that it will be your loss.
I was paying $70 for full coverage. It's true that my insurance will jump to $230? I'll speak with my insurance agent to see what my options are. I want a nice bike but not to where I'll be paying $300.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You need a decently priced used bike and track days to become a better rider, not more horsepower.

Insurance quotes I'm sure will help steer you in that direction.
If I could have a dedicated track bike at the moment then I would have already had one. I do go to the track every so often since I've attended California Superbike School. To be honest with you, I never really cared about having more horsepower. That's not primarily the reason why I want a literbike. I absolutely do believe in how a good rider on a 600 can keep up with a mediocre rider on a larger bike. I'll see what insurance quotes give me. I'm pretty open minded.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Listen to these guys. You said you were upside down on the 600 so I assume you had little to nothing to put down when you bought it. Bikes are toys and IMHO should be paid for with cash. Some will argue that keeping and investing the cash will earn you better returns than the cost of interest on a loan, but that doesn't sound like your situation.

You're looking at a bike that costs a few more grand that you'll immediately be upside down on again. Insurance will be higher on a 1k and increase that even more since you have an at fault accident on your record now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How does gap insurance work then? Was that $2,000 extra a waste of money to add it on?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would take a break, and let time be on your side to decide what you really want to do. Drive the car around and sit tight while you gather your thoughts after this incident.
This is the best reply and thanks for not being so quick to criticize me! I won't be buying a bike anytime soon. I was actually hoping that my 600 would be repaired but it doesn't look that way. It probably won't be for a while until I have another motorcycle again, at least for a month or two.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, if you're here to criticize me then that's fine. No one here knows my own situation better than I do, however, I will take your guy's advice anyways. It's just a little irritating that some of you think that I'm your typical squid rider that always rides over his limits on the streets and doesn't go to track days. I didn't have to post this thread if I didn't want to. It's just a bummer that this thread became a lecture of how I should spend my money rather than the actual thread itself. But I'm fine with it...that's how forums always been anyways. Thanks for all of the replies!

1 - 20 of 151 Posts