Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to riding as I just picked up my brand new '06 black 600rr this past weekend(yes I know it shouldn't be my first bike...but I love it :) and just noticed something last night while riding. After about 20 mins or so of riding, my thumbs start to get real sore near the base. At first I thought maybe my gloves were too tight, but the instant I let go of the handlebars my thumbs feel fine...it's like Im putting too much strain on the muscle when riding. Any suggestions for this? Im keeping my wrist as low as I'm comfortable with and I don't think I have any sort of death grip or anything....

K

·
0 Posts
abs and thighs. you should be loose on the bars with almost zero weight on them.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Johnny Candles said:
+1 Relax your grip and your arms. Don't rest your weight on your arms and wrists as much. Try holding yourself up with your abs and thighs.
+1...take the stress out by putting more weight onto your core and legs...this will help alleviate the pressure on your arms and wrists...

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
RELAX! You don't need a death grip on the handle bars. Figure out where you are putting a lot of your weight. My guess is, you've locked your elbows and most of your weight is on your hands. Not only will this cause numbness in your hands, but it's a sure sign that your arms will not participate in the suspension of the bike, instead force a lot of unnecessary energy back into the bike say, when you hit ripples in the road, or under panic braking.

1. Don't lock your elbows. You should have a nice relaxed kink in your elbows. Think about it: Is it easier to steer a bike putting pressure on the bars from above, or from a more relaxed angle?
2. Don't grip so hard. Gripping hard is just going to prevent you from reacting well in a panic situation. Learn to be relaxed. You can't be smooth if you're muscling.
3. Don't put your weight on the bars. Guaranteed stoppie if you're in a panic braking situation. Furthermore, you won't allow the front suspension to do it's thing if you're overloading the front by putting your weight there.

Support more of your weight in your back and on your legs. You'll find out just how weak your legs are! But just like someone who downhill skiis. He uses his legs to act sort of like a suspension. Don't feed any unnecessary inputs into your bike preventing it from doing what it would normally want to do: Stabilize itself.

·
Registered
484 Posts
sooperman12 said:
RELAX! You don't need a death grip on the handle bars. Figure out where you are putting a lot of your weight. My guess is, you've locked your elbows and most of your weight is on your hands. Not only will this cause numbness in your hands, but it's a sure sign that your arms will not participate in the suspension of the bike, instead force a lot of unnecessary energy back into the bike say, when you hit ripples in the road, or under panic braking.

1. Don't lock your elbows. You should have a nice relaxed kink in your elbows. Think about it: Is it easier to steer a bike putting pressure on the bars from above, or from a more relaxed angle?
2. Don't grip so hard. Gripping hard is just going to prevent you from reacting well in a panic situation. Learn to be relaxed. You can't be smooth if you're muscling.
3. Don't put your weight on the bars. Guaranteed stoppie if you're in a panic braking situation. Furthermore, you won't allow the front suspension to do it's thing if you're overloading the front by putting your weight there.

Support more of your weight in your back and on your legs. You'll find out just how weak your legs are! But just like someone who downhill skiis. He uses his legs to act sort of like a suspension. Don't feed any unnecessary inputs into your bike preventing it from doing what it would normally want to do: Stabilize itself.
+1 relax, enjoy the new ride and be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
sooperman12 said:
haha yeah twisties and riding in general can be a massive leg workout

·
Registered
924 Posts
+1 on what everyone said, most of the weight should be in your legs and core. Use the foot pegs and gas tank (knees) for support rather than the bars. I did notice you said you did not have a deathgrip so your probably putting too much weight on the bars.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There is a pressure point at the base of your thumb, that is what causes the ache. Try sitting more upright so you don't put alot of pressure on your hands. Cause once it starts hurting its to late, even the slightest pressure on the hand will cause alot of pain.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
You can also adjust your controls down so your wrists are not in such a bind. Turn the bars to full lock on each side and adjust your controls to where they barely clear your fairings without touching.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd recommend working on your back and ab muscles, but an easier way would be to get some stompgrips or sport grips from techspec. You can grab the tank a lot easier with your legs and keep your weight off the bars easier.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
relax...float like a butterfly ride like a bee. haha! +1 on the abs and thighs

·
Registered
615 Posts
drop the ps2 controller

1 - 20 of 21 Posts