Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I have a very simple question to ask. Can anyone hear a distinct difference in sound from a slip-on exhaust system and a full exhaust system? Like the difference in sound from a car that has stock exhaust manifolds vs headers. I've noticed that the stock headers on the CBR look decently shaped so I doubt that the difference in sound is very large. I've only found threads about the power difference but not sound difference.

Thank you for your opinion!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I can tell you for sure the full system is LOUD. I bought my bike with a full Yoshimura RS5 and I eventually had to put in the dB killer insert. Didn't want to be rude to my neighbors, especially as annoyed as I am by other people's loud ass cars and bikes.

The power and throttle response with the full system and fuel controller is fantastic, though. Now that I've experienced it I don't think I could go back to just a slip-on.. which is probably about the same in terms of volume without a dB killer vs the full system with a dB killer. The insert changed the character of the engine a bit, engine braking seems more abrupt. But it's not noticeably down on power.. probably only on the very top end.

The difference, by the way, is that the full system eliminates the catalytic converter.. which restricts exhaust flow and therefore power and sound. It does allow longer primary and secondary runs, but you could achieve most of the gains of a full system by simply cutting/gutting the cat.. and many folks do just that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The California CBR600RR has valves and other emission on the exhaust, It's more restrictive. Other 49 states doesn't. My 2005 only have the catalytic converter. For us, 49 states, we don't hear that much of a difference if we take out the catalytic.

I'm not sure about other countries emission regulations.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeap louder. Just a tad at idle. I'll say 20 percent louder getting on it. There are youtube videos before and after. Yanked my stock headers off, mounted diagos' arrow stainless headers (with the help of Browningbucks thread, bless him) this past winter. Your throttle response will be CRAP, until it gets tuned, and exhauset is considerable louder. You will diffinently notice. But a sweet agressive sound. And a touch more power. Imho

·
Registered
648 Posts
getting a slip on and just removing the cat with stock headers is basically the same thing as a full system. "basically"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts