Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have another question about what you guys do about tires for the track. As I mentioned in a previous thread, I track my bike around 6 times a year and generally use the same time tire on the track as I use on the street. But this is not ideal as the tires wear differently and the streets tires will have a bit of squaring.

Do you guys have a spare set of wheels with race tires that you switch out every track day? Or do you guys use the same wheels and just mount race tires on and off everytime? I would think that would get costly after a while.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
My local shop switches my tires for free. Its too easy to dismount and mount. I don't bother with balancing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How did you land a deal like that? Is it a local motorcycle shop or can any auto tire shop do that for you?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
i have a spare rear wheel to mount my rain tires on but i have no luck finding a good deal on the front wheel with disk rotors but yeah having a spare set helps switching from track to street tires in a jiffy

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
How did you land a deal like that? Is it a local motorcycle shop or can any auto tire shop do that for you?
Its a local shop. I'm just cool with people I meet. I treat people who help others as people not as servants. Idk.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have a spare set of wheels with fresh tires mounted up and balanced before I leave for the track. Number one, you never know when you may have tire issue and have to change one out. Secondly, to me, it is easier to change a tire/wheel combination than to take off the old one, take it to a trackside tire vendor (who may or may not be busy and backed up when you need the tire mounted and balanced) and then go back to your paddock area and put the tire/wheel back on the bike and be ready for your next session. I've changed tires at the lunch break many times and been ready for the first session after lunch. If I would have had to go and purchase, have it changed and then remount it on the bike, I would have lost at least one session. Bottom line is that I go to the track to ride and not to work on my bike. A tire change is sometimes a necessary thing to do, but not my preference.

BTW.......I've got a spare rear wheel for sale in the For Sale section if you are looking for one.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have spare wheels. They are a HUGE convenience. Rears are easy to find. Any year will fit. Fronts are harder to find because they are more rare and models don't crossover.

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
i used to have the tires switched over before a trackday. then as i did less and less riding on the street, i wised up and just switched tires back to track tires and left it like that since i dont ride on the streets/commute.
over time i have acquired a spare set and have had new track tires mounted on them for a ready at hand back up in case i needed to change. now i have 3 sets of wheels. 1 will have street tires, the other 2 will have track tires.

its alot better to have an extra set. so if you can find a deal on a set, snag them. they will eventually pay for themselves with less hassle to keep switching out tires.

·
Banned
2,603 Posts
I have an extra pair of stock tires I'm trying to get rid of. I took them off right away to get good track tires and I always kept them on it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried changing out the tires myself once using the DIY guide here on the forums, and I simply did not have the weight/muscle to get the new tire back onto the wheel. Hours of frustration, bloody knuckles, and paint chips later, I gave up and took it to a shop.

Where can I find a spare set of used front and rear wheels? They seldom show up in the classifieds section and when they do, they're sold within hours. Junk yards maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
I tried changing out the tires myself once using the DIY guide here on the forums, and I simply did not have the weight/muscle to get the new tire back onto the wheel. Hours of frustration, bloody knuckles, and paint chips later, I gave up and took it to a shop.

Where can I find a spare set of used front and rear wheels? They seldom show up in the classifieds section and when they do, they're sold within hours. Junk yards maybe?
Check ebay regularly for the wheels. I only weigh 155 lbs and can barley do 35 pushups in a minute. Some proper tire irons make a world of difference. Here is a great how to video.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check ebay regularly for the wheels. I only weigh 155 lbs and can barley do 35 pushups in a minute. Some proper tire irons make a world of difference. Here is a great how to video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AerHAYs435s
Thanks Slim. I did use that video as well, but still had problems with the rear tire. I'm 130 lbs and felt like I didn't have the weight to kneel on the tires enough to get it center while using my harbor freight tire irons to lever the tire onto the wheel.

I'll definitely start checking out ebay. I understand the front tire is specific to the bike, but is the rear tire/sprocket/rotor interchangeable between the CBR years? I see older 01-06 CBR wheels for sale and I would like confirmation that they work with my 07. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
456 Posts
yeah, 03-06 rear wheels will work on an 07, but will be a little heavier

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a spare set of rims. It was costing me $25 a tyre to have it swapped so by the time I had my street tyre off, track tyre on and then back again after the track it was costing me $100 per track day. I picked up a set of wheels from the US and had them posted to me in Aus all for $550. They will have paid for them selves after 5 track days.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
I have a second set of rims for track now

1 - 17 of 17 Posts