Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just thought I would post this, saw it in a article on the Sky news website... just wondering what is the posted speed limit on an "A-Road" and what is that exactly like an interstate or something??

A biker who reached some of the highest speeds ever recorded on an A-road has been sentenced to 15 months in jail and told he must serve at least half of that time.

Christopher O'Donovan, who is 44 and from Devizes, was travelling at up to 130 mph on his Kawasaki ZX600.
He led police on a 23-mile high speed chase across the Wiltshire countryside, racing through villages and tracks and along several A-roads.
Witnesses say up to 17 police vehicles pursued O'Donovan before the police helicopter took over the chase.
He was eventually arrested after returning home.
O'Donovan pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and driving while disqualified and has been told to expect a prison sentence.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no doubt, sorry bout that, but I think he is doing time more for running than anything...

·
Registered
810 Posts
The national speed limit on an A road in the UK is either:

60mph - single carriageway

70mph - dual carriageway

& is marked by this road sign

This really only applies out of towns & if there is not this road sign then the speed limit will be posted as normal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The national speed limit on an A road in the UK is either:

60mph - single carriageway

70mph - dual carriageway

& is marked by this road sign

This really only applies out of towns & if there is not this road sign then the speed limit will be posted as normal.

ok, so it is a fairly major road then, i was thinking from the article that he was like buzzing through the heart of the city or something...

·
Registered
810 Posts
and what is that exactly like an interstate or something??

He led police on a 23-mile high speed chase across the Wiltshire countryside, racing through villages and tracks and along several A-roads.
The roads he was driving on were like (best guess) Pacific Highway 1. Single track & double track roads going between small towns - Rural countryside.

Nothing like an INTERSTATE.... This is the UK after all.. lol

·
Registered
810 Posts
yeah I know - I've been done it about 30 times... I was trying to think of a road that would translate across the internet...
Was based at Fort Ord (nr Monterey) for 6 months in the late 80's.

·
Registered
810 Posts
The cops & Judges are anal over here - we have HUGE speed nazis..
anything over 100mph you are looking at a ban.
The guy was done for:

Driving while disqualified which means he is banned from driving anyway,
& with
DANGEROUS DRIVING whilst getting away & you're going to jail.
He already would have known this which is why he ran.

but NOWHERE compares to Switzerland...
DO NOT SPEED THERE.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

but NOWHERE compares to Switzerland...
DO NOT SPEED THERE.[/quote

they must sic the Swiss Military on you? lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts