Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: Got a speeding ticket, 73 in 55 because i passed the undercover cop car and he clocked me at my passing speed. 180$ ticket, he says 4 pnts off lisence, he said if I go to court he will "help me out" and actually looked for real because i was wearing all my gear and im in the military. Am I better off just paying the ticket, or should I go to court, could it actually make it worst going to court?

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
cling said:
Quick question: Got a speeding ticket, 73 in 55 because i passed the undercover cop car and he clocked me at my passing speed. 180$ ticket, he says 4 pnts off lisence, he said if I go to court he will "help me out" and actually looked for real because i was wearing all my gear and im in the military. Am I better off just paying the ticket, or should I go to court, could it actually make it worst going to court?
you're not guilty until you're proven guilty by the judge.

showing up with a lawyer, or at least giving a good story can always help.

Heck, do what i do. I just show up with my MOST RECENT defensive driving course certificate (those 5-hour things) and most of the ones i've ever gotten have been dropped easily by the officer or judge. then i say i'll try my best to never show up in that Judge's court again.

you can go off with a slight ticket, 1 point...or no points...
it can't hurt to go to court. just show up like u actually care.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
you can't make it worse going to court, especially if you don't admit to anything thats not on the ticket. I don't know what the law says about passing, but I don't think you're allowed to break the speed limit to pass. He might not show up at all and they will throw it out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
cling said:
Go to court plead no contest. If you have a really clean driving record the judge has the option to either a.) Drop the charge and just make you pay the court fee. b.) make you pay the ticket and have to attend a driving school (no points). Either way there is no way it will make it worse to go to court. I got a ticket a couple of weeks ago for an illegal use of a lane and only had to pay the $40 court fee and no point on my licence. FYI if you are really worried just get a traffic attorney.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a good traffic ticket lawyer and have him plead your case. If he can't get it eliminated he can at least mitigate the damage and take the points down. If you can't get it wiped, but do manage to get the points reduced, then you can go to traffic school and have that ticket pretty much erased. But I guess it depends on the state. I'm thinking CA laws.... so take that for what it's worth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
yeah, speaking for CA, the cop has no say in anything so he cant "help you out", its all in the judges hands once it gets to court. if its worth your time to go then go, if its not then drop the check in the mail and be done with it.......

·
Not right now chief, im in the f'ing zone
4,495 Posts
Dont get a lawyer. BIG waste of money, and most definatly not worth it. Thats even that big of a ticket. Just go to court, dress nice, speak well and don't give attitude. It should all go well.

·
Registered
659 Posts
He may be saying that "he'll help you out" by not showing up in court; if the issuing officer doesn't show up the ticket is dismissed in most localities. Unfortunately you really don't know what the hell he meant.

if you get a lawyer you shouldn't even have to show up for court; he/she will handle everything with the prosecutor's office without involving a judge. The judge only wants to hear important things not pidley traffic shi*

·
Registered
428 Posts
i went to court one day for a speeding ticket and i for fairly heated when i got this ticket and i decided i was pleaded not guilty. Well my court date came and i stuck to my guns, i pleaded not guilty w/o a lawyer in traffic court. All the not guilty pleas would then wait till the end of traffic court to have there cases heard infront of the judge. So i am sitting down waiting for my case to be called again and while waiting the public prosecuter came to me and said that they had some hard evidence againts me speeding so it was unlikely to be dropped..she then told me if i just plead guilty she will give me only 3 months supervision and it wont go on my record. So naturally i stopped being a hard as$ and took the deal. I would go that route, and if you dont get a similar deal just be polite and tell a good story to the judge. Good Luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts