Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this morning on my ride into work i received a speeding ticket. officer said i was going 100+ which wasnt the case, i dont ride that fast in morning traffic. i was probably going about 85. the cop wrote 90-99 on the ticket. i had just gotten on the 57 South from the 60 West. the officer said that i passed him ON the interchange, which is completely impossible since it was a 1 lane carpool interchange. then he said that i didnt see him cause he was on the shoulder. i did not argue with the cop but informed him i was almost certain i was not going as fast as he said i was.

i am aware that most of you wont be able to help with this unless you are familiar with the So-Cal area(Orange County to be specific)
with jurisdiction i was curious to know if anyone had any info on officers writing up citations out of their jurisdiction. i was in the city of Diamond Bar on the 57 freeway when i received this ticket however the officer was a Fullerton Police Officer which Diamond Bar is a PRETTY SOLID distance from Fullerton. any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
I lived there for years. If you want to fight the ticket, lawyer up. You won't win the jurisdiction part, unless the Diamond Bar cops back you up...and they won't.

At least it wasn't Santa Ana.

·
Registered
113 Posts
How is the ticket processed as in terms of fine value? In MA, 10 miles over gets you an initial fine with each additional mile over the original 10 being assessed a standard value. It's been a while, but I believe it was $100 for anything up to the first 10 miles over (so minimum of $100 if you were ticketed for 7 over) and $10 for each additional mile. (With an additional surcharge of $75?? for the head trauma foundation). How does CA issue the citation with a speed value of 90-99? I'm just wondering?

As far as jurisdiction, that would be a hard one to fight as many towns, counties, and states allow cross jurisdiction well outside their local municipalities.

I take it that one does not want to get caught speeding in Santa Ana?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do what you can to get the speed reduced, essentially making you eligible for traffic school (assuming you haven't done traffic school in the last 18 months). If the officer didn't have a radar/laser to show you, you may have a chance at getting the speed down to 80. I may be wrong but I thought you were eligible for traffic school if your speed is 15 mph or less, over the posted speed limit.

As far as fighting it, I can't really help. It's my understanding that even CHP officers can write tickets on the street, and the same goes for police officers on the freeway. In this case, there's probably no chance in winning the jurisdiction argument.

Either way, that's a hefty ticket. I feel your pain. I received an HOV violation in December. No traffic school needed, so no point on my record, but the judge wouldn't even reduce the fine. $525 clams. I could have bought fairings with that money.

·
Registered
66 Posts
If he guesstimated then you can easily have it dismissed as I doubt his mathematical skills are stellar and I also doubt he knows the direct distance between objects you passed and the exact time in which you travelled said distance between objects. So because he can't verify you broke the law, his ticket and opinion are objective and therefore not valid evidence. If he used a laser gun if he can't compare it to other sidearms he has used, then he can't verify accuracy with it and therefore can't be sure he actually hit you despite the fact he targeted you. I could go n and on but you get the idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts