Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got pulled over for going 74mph in a 45mph zone today. The fine for 20-24 mph over the limit is $200. What is the fine for 25-29 mph over? I know it's a 4 point ticket. Is there anything I can do?
I'm in NJ. Would hiring an attorney help? How expensive is it?
This is my first speeding ticket ever.

Thanks for your advice.
Tin

·
Registered
203 Posts
Attorney. Get one.

In KY, for 26 or more over you can lose your license.

·
Registered
156 Posts
attorney is lookin good. check the cops facebook see if he is going on vacation, and schedule your court date while hes gone. a friend of mine did that haha

·
BOTM Winner 07/12
1,714 Posts
Talk to the DA and plead it down. If its your first you wont have an problem doing it. A lawyer will cost you more than the ticket and he cant do anything for you unless the cops really screwed up.

Take it from the guy who has lost his license a few times...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
For first offense the judge should be pretty lenient on you. I would/did get a lawyer though. 59 in a 30 when i first got my license and got out with traffic school.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Talk to the DA and plead it down. If its your first you wont have an problem doing it. A lawyer will cost you more than the ticket and he cant do anything for you unless the cops really screwed up.

Take it from the guy who has lost his license a few times...
I guess that depends on the state. The last ticket I got was 91 in a 60. I was not in my local county so I hired a lawyer who was from that area. I never spoke to the lawyer just the receptionist. She asked the details and I told her I was speeding and got caught. There was a guy who kept riding next to me trying to block me in. When I would speed up he would speed up. So I got pissed and left him like he was sitting still. She said that the lawyer would work to keep my license and try hard to keep points off my license. She asked if I was rude to the cop or if the cop was angry or annoyed with me. I said I was polite and he was nice about it. Months later I got a call saying the lawyer got me out of losing my license and they were reducing the speed to lower the insurance points. The ticket+court cost+insurance rates going up was no where near as cheap as paying the lawyer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here's what you can do.

Slow the **** down!
Word;

We all know the throttle hand beckons us, but you don't have to listen all the way.
But.... you probably don't need/want to hear that.

I wish you good luck in handling your performance award, my friend.:cruising:

·
Registered
621 Posts
I got out of my ticket by doing a "trial by written declaration" here in SoCal. Didn't have to go to court just wrote down what happened (came up with some BS story) and I'm guessing the Cop didn't do his "TBWD" cuz they dropped the ticket.. Slow down and GL bro..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your advices.
I am not a speed freak.
I had to drive 2 hrs to the dept of health and senior services to obtain a vital statistic record. They sent me home cuz I didn't bring my passport. So, I was frustrated and tired. 2nd, the stupid navigation took me around the philly area. I was on 95 n/s for 1 an hr. 3rd, it's pretty hard not to speed in an audi s4.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Get some lube ready, cause your gonna get laid with big, long, hairy, sweaty shaft and bawlz of the laws! Just kidding...but then again it is in NJ

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 on lawyer. One has to remember that it's not only the fine, but your insurance rates will most likely go up. So the cost of a lawyer is usually cheaper than the fine + the increased insurance premiums.

When I moved to Seattle I got three tickets (slowest 15 over) w/in three months. Hired a well known traffic lawyer and all three were dropped for various reasons. Cost me $900 to defend all three, but I was looking at almost $700 in fines, so....YMMV.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I used to live in NJ, got pulled over for 24 over once. I could swear that criminal speeding in NJ was 30 over, that is when it gets really bad. I also thought there was a fine amount on the back of the ticket or online for all the fine amounts up to 29 over. Could be wrong though.
I did get a 31 mph over citation in Maine once, that was worth a lawyer and they got it knocked down to 29 mph over so I was able to keep my license. It cost a grand (yeah, a$$ raping) but it was better than criminal speeding on my record, losing my lisence for 30 or 60 days and paying the new insurance costs.
Just so you know, I was pulled over by a Franklin Lakes officer in NJ. Within 2 weeks I had at least 10 letters at my house advertising traffic lawyers in the area. Great advertising for them, I assume they will do the same thing where you got pulled over.

·
Registered
100 Posts
First I would speak with the DA, remember you dont have to accept what they offer. Second, delay the court appearance, the longer you wait the better the odds of the cop forgetting, not showing up, transfering, being on vacation etc.
Third, consult a lawyer, if youre slick you might be able to get some free advice.

Cant emphasize enough the DA thing, YOU DONT HAVE TO ACCEPT THEIR OFFER.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts