Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven’t posted up anything about it because I didn’t want to jinx myself……Towards the end of last year I got a speeding ticket for going 95 MPH. The problem is, is that my speedo never passed 75 MPH. The officer was either falsely accusing me knowing he was full of crap or severely mistaken. I tried to plead my case with the CHP, but both the ticketing officer and his partner weren’t having it. They were both total d!cks. After arguing and signing, they both drove away laughing, which leads me to believe they knew they were full of crap.

I first requested an extension. Then I filed my case via a written Trial By Declaration TR-205. I compiled data on the CHP cruiser. I explained first of all how it was physically impossible for the ticketing officer to catch up to me within a mile if I were indeed going 95MPH. I had speed test of the CHP cruiser and times 0-100 MPH. I attached a graph showing just how far I would travel at 95 MPH and how long and what distance it would take for the CHP to catch me. I also attached another graph showing how it would be possible for him to catch me at 75MPH.

I also explained how he did not use a radar to assess my speed accurately. Long story short, well, not too short…lol. He replied and still…I won!! Case dismissed, refund my $422.00!!!!!

Man, I hope the state of CA can afford my refund??:dontknow:

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Wow, you made graphs and everything. Crazy. How did you request the paperwork? I have two tickets pending as of right now. One that I got in September (in my car for going 98), which I am supposed to be going to court for on March 23. And another (one that I got on my bike, the first day I ever went on freeway). Any tips would help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
any chance you could post up (some?) of the information you collected/demostrated so that others may use it as a reference for building their cases?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Awesome Man! Congrats!

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
any chance you could post up (some?) of the information you collected/demostrated so that others may use it as a reference for building their cases?
First of all you can contact the court for all copies that the ticketing officer filed. Those copies will show whether or not he used a radar. If not, that is already a bonus. If you have that on your side USE IT!! Now, even though they are trained to estimate the rate of speed, an estimate is a guess and not a fool proof way of accurately obtaining information. The fact of the matter is, human error is highly probable when estimating, time, distance and rate of speed. It will also show if he paced you, "eyed" you, was posted up...etc

CHP officers get paid to show up to court. In the past, they did not. They STILL DO NOT get paid to write reports. That must be done on their time. First request an extension. An extension will allow the Officer to "forget" and to also let other reports pile up. By filing the TR-205 Trial by written Declaration, he must have a written response. Most officers won't take the time to do so.

Now, let's say you lose the trial by dec., you still get a 2nd chance to personally show up and argue your case. Basically, by filing the TR-205, you get 2 shots at fighting your case.

CHP uses the Crown Vic., at least the one that pulled me over. So I got the info (and posted the links in the report I filed. I got the testing results and used that info for the graphs. The graphs basically showed, what distanced would be traveled at what speed.
http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger-police-testing.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor

Example: At @ 95MPH Travel time for 1 mile = 37 Seconds. The ticketing officer caught up to me within one mile of where he was posted up at. So I used 1 mile as a reference.

This is an example of what I used for the graph (graph not included):
If Driver A is traveling at 95 MPH, he would travel a full mile in 37 seconds. The police interceptor (3.27) reaches a speed of 0-100 MPH at 21.45 seconds. We will add 2 seconds to that time to allow for reaction time for the CHP to get his vehicle into motion which will bring the time to 23.45 seconds.

In the 23.45 seconds that Driver B accelerates to 100 MPH, Driver A will have traveled .63 miles. Therefore, Driver A will have approximately a .63 mile lead on Driver B.

Since Driver A will travel a full mile in 37 seconds, the remaining time and distance left is .37 miles to be traveled in 13.55 seconds. At the max speed of 130 MPH in 13.55 seconds, Driver B will have traveled .49 miles. Driver A meanwhile would have reached the end of the mile traveled. Driver B still would have been .51 miles behind Driver A at the end of the mile. Therefore Driver B would not have reached Driver A within a 1 mile distance

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Nice work man,,, way to stick it to those piggies,, you basically fed them bacon,,,

Right on man,, right on

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
First of all you can contact the court for all copies that the ticketing officer filed. Those copies will show whether or not he used a radar. If not, that is already a bonus. If you have that on your side USE IT!! Now, even though they are trained to estimate the rate of speed, an estimate is a guess and not a fool proof way of accurately obtaining information. The fact of the matter is, human error is highly probable when estimating, time, distance and rate of speed. It will also show if he paced you, "eyed" you, was posted up...etc

CHP officers get paid to show up to court. In the past, they did not. They STILL DO NOT get paid to write reports. That must be done on their time. First request an extension. An extension will allow the Officer to "forget" and to also let other reports pile up. By filing the TR-205 Trial by written Declaration, he must have a written response. Most officers won't take the time to do so.

Now, let's say you lose the trial by dec., you still get a 2nd chance to personally show up and argue your case. Basically, by filing the TR-205, you get 2 shots at fighting your case.

CHP uses the Crown Vic., at least the one that pulled me over. So I got the info (and posted the links in the report I filed. I got the testing results and used that info for the graphs. The graphs basically showed, what distanced would be traveled at what speed.
http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger-police-testing.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Crown_Victoria_Police_Interceptor

Example: At @ 95MPH Travel time for 1 mile = 37 Seconds. The ticketing officer caught up to me within one mile of where he was posted up at. So I used 1 mile as a reference.

This is an example of what I used for the graph (graph not included):
If Driver A is traveling at 95 MPH, he would travel a full mile in 37 seconds. The police interceptor (3.27) reaches a speed of 0-100 MPH at 21.45 seconds. We will add 2 seconds to that time to allow for reaction time for the CHP to get his vehicle into motion which will bring the time to 23.45 seconds.

In the 23.45 seconds that Driver B accelerates to 100 MPH, Driver A will have traveled .63 miles. Therefore, Driver A will have approximately a .63 mile lead on Driver B.

Since Driver A will travel a full mile in 37 seconds, the remaining time and distance left is .37 miles to be traveled in 13.55 seconds. At the max speed of 130 MPH in 13.55 seconds, Driver B will have traveled .49 miles. Driver A meanwhile would have reached the end of the mile traveled. Driver B still would have been .51 miles behind Driver A at the end of the mile. Therefore Driver B would not have reached Driver A within a 1 mile distance
Maybe you won by confusing the judge.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Werd. Good job.

What if the officer was like, "Well I was able to catch up mad quick because my car is outfitted with a spoon motor and overnight parts from....japan, yo!"

What would your response have been then!?!?!

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Werd. Good job.

What if the officer was like, "Well I was able to catch up mad quick because my car is outfitted with a spoon motor and overnight parts from....japan, yo!"

What would your response have been then!?!?!
Straight from left field.........

·
Registered
305 Posts
Man court dates are so backed up for California, its nuts. I have two ticket pending. One for turning on a red light which im trying to fight because I was turning on a yellow and the officer was being a **** to me. Second one is 55 in a 45. I went to schedule a court date and they schedule for a date 1 year from now. They said hope you remember to go cause they will not send you a notice when its coming up. I'm locating in Fremont CA, is it the same in other places in Cali?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts