Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently on a long ride when I noticed that my speedometer latency went to sh*t. Its always been very responsive indicating speed with a high enough frequency to provide essentially an instatanoues speed.

Today, I noticed it would take up to 3-4 seconds for the speedo to update with my new speed. Meaning It would show say, 65 mph for about 4 seconds then all the sudden show 40 mph (which was the speed I was slowing to while the speedo locked on 65) I shut the bike down and it all went back to normal after starting it up again. It was just very strange and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon. I have a gearing change and 520 kit but the gauge cluster is OEM to the bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Negative. I just calibrated it with my gps unit and know that its about 10 mph fast. Regardless, I beleive the speed sensor is on the countershaft and while it obviously will read higher with a gearing change, the update rate for the sensor shouldn't have been affected. The speedo has been operating fine since last year when I installed the kit. The latency was a one time glitch that went away after shutting the bike down. Maybe like any computer, the gauge cluster just needed a re-boot?

D

·
0 Posts
It's quite possible that it was just getting some interference from another wire that moved around if it was just a one time thing.

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
Check the connections as it sounds like you are intermittently dropping the signal, probably caused by a high resistance connection.

Unlikely to be caused by induced voltage on the line as it is around 10Vp-p so would take a hell of a lot to wipe it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts