Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a speedotuner from hard racing and it just came in the mail. I am going to install it hopefully in the next frw days or on saturday. Reason for posting is I have not seen anyone give any reviews or much info on this new product. The finish of the unit is good it small in size and the part I like best is the fact that its plug and play for the 07-08 models where as speedohealer is not. Please add if you have any experiance and or ask if you are curious. Thanks just trying to be helpfull

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pics of install might be tough my wife has the digital camera all the time and I am going to install very soon i will try. Meaning i have a crappy memory to ask her for it and will install when she is at work and its with her. I will give a review and ease of install/calibration for sure.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok..........Unfortunately I was unable to get pictures cause they were turning out blurry and hard to see and being I am camera retarded I found out I had the setting wrong but I was all done at that point. The speedotuner was an easy install just plug and play. The speedo sensor wire is right above the the main crankcase under the gas tank. Just uninstall the tank plastic and the two bolts hole the gas tank raise the gas tank up. I held the gas tank up with a wrench between the crank and the tank. Next The speedo wire male/female connection is a bit tword the left side of the bike (sitting facing foward) fastend to the top of the main crankcasing. Disconnect the male/female and plug in speedotuner very simple its plug and play. Ok next put everything back together wiring the tuner under the tank so it will sit under your seat. The tuner will need to be out durring calibration so I put it on the tank for time being. Next the process is to calibrate. When ready hold down botton on tuner till fast blinking next go actual speed (60 mph) gps read and press button for 1-2 seconds then change your bike speedometer to show 60 mph and press botton for 1-2seconds and bam corrected speedo. It was fairly easy had to do it a few times to get it where I wanted cause i am picky but all in all the plug and play made up for the sort of pain while riding button pressing. I would recommend straping a gps to your handle bars to get a very acurate adjustment. All in all I would say its worth the money and being speedohealer is not plug and play for 07-8 models I would prefer this tuner over the healer anyday. Any questions feel free to ask. Sorry for the crappy write up not my strong point LOL

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to show the exact area of connections for those in confusion. I took this picture from browningbucks thread he was installing a speedohealer but its the same point of connections of the tuner is plug and play. Circled it the connection you will be using to plug in you tuner,

·
Registered
110 Posts
To clarify, you have to calibrate it with a GPS while you're riding? How accurate are GPS systems? And why calibrate it at 60mph? I guess because that is "normal" riding speeds...

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
To clarify, you have to calibrate it with a GPS while you're riding? How accurate are GPS systems? And why calibrate it at 60mph? I guess because that is "normal" riding speeds...
**** that if that's required.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah eather that or ride next to a car. I just strapted a gps to my triple and went off of that. 60mph was recommended just because at higher speeds is where your speedo really starts getting way off becuase these speedo's are off by a percentage. So 10% is not bad a 20mph but at 70mph its a much bigger difference, 20mph would read 22mph but 70mph would be 77mph. So at a higher speed you tend to get a more acurate calibration. Oh and GPS is about the most acurate reading you can possibly get for speed and mileage so gps is the way to go if you have one or can borrow one.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well you know what the speedohealer requires you to splice and solder, so to me it made more sence to buy the tuner. Cutting and splicing speedo wires was not in my cards. Its not as easy to calibrate IMO as the healer but plug and play made up for that to me. Cutting factory speedo wires while my bike is still under warrenty just seemed dumb and risky. So there are pros and cons to both.

**** that if that's required.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I was making it seem more difficult than what it really is.

I had to calibrate my car speedometer along side of another car. Just seems that there's still margin for error with self-calibration.

·
Macho Office Monkey
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I agree 100% but thats the same with the speedohealer as well when you think about it. You could be reading the numbers incorrectly because of the time between looking at your gps and your speedo you may have bump the gas slightly. Honestly both of them work really well I had the healer on my 600rr 03 and would have went with it again if it were plug and play. Eather way if you have a gps with you to calibrate you can keep trying till you get it as close as you want it. Mine right now is within 1 mph of actual maybe even .75mph.

I was making it seem more difficult than what it really is.

I had to calibrate my car speedometer along side of another car. Just seems that there's still margin for error with self-calibration.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
i think i am going to have to get one of these. Anybody thought of just using a dyno? That way you could calibrate it at well over 100mph and have it extremely accurate.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
i think i am going to have to get one of these. Anybody thought of just using a dyno? That way you could calibrate it at well over 100mph and have it extremely accurate.
That would be a cool idea. As long as the DYNO is accurate, the concept is good.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Why are the stock speedos so crappy?

Good question for Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki.

Probably cause they don't want you to speed.
They are trying to be as politically correct as they can.

You think your awesome cause your speedo showing your doing 150mph, when you really only doing 65 :icon_lol:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I recall someone mentioning that it was illegal for manufacturer's to make a speedo telling you that you're going slower than you really are, so it's ok for them to over-estimate your speed but not under-estimate it. So because of different tire profiles and maybe readily available gearing changes they err on the side of caution.

At least you have a good excuse when pulled over: "Do you know how fast you were going son?" - "Nope."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts