Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was with my club last week, and the discussion of speed came up. Now I'm definitely NOT the "fast boy" of the group, be it straight line or twisties. But the fact that I have a RR, I tend to wear proudly the ability to go fast. Well, pretty damned fast for MY taste. Anyways, we were talkin about the top speeds we've done. Our pops has a 9R and a 10R and he says he's been up to 189~ before. Another guy has an R6 and says he's been around the 170s. Well, when asked I admitted that I've seen 165 on my speedometer. After a bit of talk, pops tells me that I'm not going anywhere as fast as I think I am.

Apparently, according to quite a few members, our speedometers are increasingly inaccurate the faster we're going. Pops' estimation is that if it said I was doin 165, I was really only doin 140-145. Now... this doesn't bother me TOO much, but... enough that I wanted to type up this post. Are our speedo's that bad? He says the only ways to almost accurately guage the speed is to either buy a hilo (sp?) guage/meter or have it guaged by GPS.

I don't underatand this. If my bike is not modified by any means, and the tires are stock and balanced, how is my speedo off by anywhere from 5-25 mph, RPMs depending? Just some general chit-chat about this is all I'm lookin for.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Yeah I have heard our speedos can be out by about 5% right off the show room :/

If you ever want to grab a speedohealer let me know :)

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you ever want to grab a speedohealer let me know :)
Rick said he paid $200~ for his. And even tho I just spent $165 on a Shift Octane jacket, and $70~ on various parts for my bike, I just don't have free money like that. For a meter that's gonna tell me how SLOW I'm goin, lol. Maybe in the (years down) future.

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Speedo Tuners are cheaper and easier to install (no splice n dice)
http://shop.speedotuner.com/main.sc;jsessionid=FF738C9714EB0BED2135F140F2CA355A.qscstrfrnt04
What I usually do is take 20% off the speed (past 60mph) then I know how fast I'm going. My max was 150 so I was actually doing around 120 or so. Strap on a GPS and you'll see.
I sell them both.
They are a little cheaper but dont have as many bells and whistles.
And for our 05-06 bikes the speedohealers arnt splice and dice. They are plug and play :)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If you like that, then you'll love this
https://www.motomummy.com/store/product.php?productid=18212&cat=0&page=1

Smaller unit, less expensive, top speed recall, 3 year warranty, less weight (not that any of these weight much though).

Speedo Tuners are cheaper and easier to install (no splice n dice)
http://shop.speedotuner.com/main.sc;jsessionid=FF738C9714EB0BED2135F140F2CA355A.qscstrfrnt04
What I usually do is take 20% off the speed (past 60mph) then I know how fast I'm going. My max was 150 so I was actually doing around 120 or so. Strap on a GPS and you'll see.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
On my Ninja 650R I was able to test it with my GPS on a few occasions. Al the time it read about 10% higher than GPS speed readings.
The two readings I remember the most were to the two normal road speeds I travel for work.
At the gauge 70 mph - GPS 63 mph ( I was wondering why I was being passed doing 5 over the posted limit)
At the gauge 50 mph - GPS 45 mph

I hope to do a similar test on the 600 some time soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts