Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/mcn/2007/july/jul23-29/jul2607benspiessayssuzuki2009motogpdealalreadydone/?R=EPI-93058
Ben Spies says Suzuki 2009 MotoGP deal is already done

By Matthew Birt
MotoGP
26 July 2007 09:49

Reigning American superbike champion Ben Spies reckons he’s already landed a seat in Suzuki’s factory MotoGP squad for 2009.

The 23-year-old told MCN in Laguna Seca that he plans to do as many as four wild card rides next season in preparation for his ’09 switch.

Ideally Spies wants to switch to MotoGP next season, but that seems unlikely with a planned satellite team run by American legend Kevin Schwantz not materialising with the Japanese factory refusing to run a third GSV-R in 2008.

And with Chris Vermeulen signing a new deal in Laguna Seca and Loris Capirossi expected to join him, Spies admits his factory ride hopes would have to be put on hold.

“I’m signed with American Suzuki for next year and if I did anything next year it would have to be with the Rizla team. And I don’t really know what’s happening next year, but worse case scenario I know I’ll be doing a few wild cards and in’09 going there. 2009 is 100% and next year is kind of 50-50 right now,”said Spies.

Spies has previously been reluctant to quit America but now reckons he’s ready to make the switch.

“I definitely do kind of have the GP drive now and I think I can do it, “said Spies, who has an aversion to flying. “There’s no getting around it. I don’t really like it, but I think when I spend about 400 hours in a plane in a year I’m going to get over that pretty quick. If I want to go try to be the rest or race with those guys I’ve got to do it. And I don’t want to be 35-years-old kicking myself in the teeth because I didn’t go do it. If I get the chance, I got to go.”

Spies could even get a wild card ride in Valencia at the end of this season and he added: “I’d like to do one wild card this year and I’d love to do both American rounds next year and Valencia. I’m kind of itching to get on it. If I don’t get to race the thing next year they want me on it as much as possible. They seem really open and really interested. They want to kind of work me into it.”

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Sweet. I don't think he's going to be consistently running at the front of the pack every race but he's sure got the talent.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
That's sweet! Wish him luck!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Glad to see him move one. Unlike Mladin who just stayed in ama so he would have good chance of winning the championship each year.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Glad to see him move one. Unlike Mladin who just stayed in ama so he would have good chance of winning the championship each year.
True. And Spies already accomplished all he could in the States. I mean motogp is serious. It's the best of the best. You can't turn down that opportunity to compete with those guys and ride million dollar machines tailored to you. It must be an incredible life to be a motogp rider.

·
The ULTIMATE 1 Upper
2,506 Posts
Now that's what I'm talking about!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
So true. Mladin talks mad **** about american riders to boot. If I remember correctlly there was a kid from kentucky that could kick his ass as well. Were did he go? Hmm... Mladin needs to win in superbike for me to even consider him great let alone GP.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So true. Mladin talks mad **** about american riders to boot. If I remember correctlly there was a kid from kentucky that could kick his ass as well. Were did he go? Hmm... Mladin needs to win in superbike for me to even consider him great let alone GP.
What about the 3 or 4 years prior to that. And the 2 years after. All he did was just win the Championship those years. As for Moto GP, he said time and time again that he is happy in the States. Family and his business ventures are his top priority. Not proving himself against the world. I consider him as one of the greatest riders of all times.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't think anyone would want to race when they know they couldn't win. Who wouldn't want a good chance to win the championship. He did race in GP anyway, on a 500 Cagiva that was a waste. He would put himself in that position again why?

·
Registered
28,565 Posts
im not a fan of spies. but its nice to have another American there.
id like to see how he does and fairs with the other riders.
should be interesting.

·
Registered
995 Posts
He didn't mentioned whether it is a contract with Suzuki or a contract with Rizla.. I think the wild card rides will determine if he is worthy... Chris did well on a wildcard ride...

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
How can Spies say with any certainty that he's got a ride lined up for 2009. Theres too many good riders that are available who are already familiar with the MotoGP circuits. If he wants to get into MotoGP he's got to have someone talking for him now.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
How can Spies say with any certainty that he's got a ride lined up for 2009. Theres too many good riders that are available who are already familiar with the MotoGP circuits. If he wants to get into MotoGP he's got to have someone talking for him now.
Probably because he is lined up with Suzuki, he has the inside track over other riders. If he is saying it's done, then the odds are it's DONE!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think he will make one hell of a GP rider.................

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
He's a rider for American Suzuki. When corporate Suzuki makes up their mind about expanding the factory team or leasing to a satellite team his name will be in the hat with other riders possibly including Max Biaggi.
So its far from done.
If he wants to go to MotoGP he can't wait for 2009, he's got to go very soon even of that means leaving Suzuki.
Probably because he is lined up with Suzuki, he has the inside track over other riders. If he is saying it's done, then the odds are it's DONE!

1 - 20 of 133 Posts