Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a thread like this already exists, I apologize, but I searched and found nothing.

Question for anyone who rides both a sportbike and cruiser, or anyone who just knows the answer.. what's the difference between sportbikes and cruisers as far as engine size and power?

I've never ridden a cruiser before, but the "entry" size seems to be 750-900cc, whereas with sportbikes, it's ~600. And they top out around 1500cc, whereas most sportbikes top out at 1000. So what's the deal? Yeah, cruisers weigh quite a bit more than sportbikes. But am I going to get a sufficient amount of power out of a 750cc cruiser that weights 550 lbs, as I would from a 600RR? I'm a big guy - 240 lbs - so a good bit above the average sportbike rider.

Reason I ask is I'm considering picking up a cruiser in the future, in exchange for the 600RR. My wife's pregnant, and she's a bit of a spaz to begin with, so I figure I could still get to ride, and hopefully she'll retain some of her sanity if she doesn't picture me turning highways into racetracks. Thanks in advance for any light shed on the topic.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Generally speaking, it takes twice the amount of cc's for a V-twin to match the power of an inline 4, like your 600. If you are comfortable on the 600, you would be looking at a 1200cc cruiser. Also, cruisers have displacements clear past 1700cc(Vstar roadliner) and sportbikes top out at 1400cc(kawasaki zx-14).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, Murph. That's exactly what I wanted to know, I just didn't know how to phrase my question lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Triumph Roadster. Very heavy, but 110lbs of torque at 1100 rpm (off idle) up to 140lbs. 120rwhp. Looks like a seating position similar to my old Road King which was very comfortable.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You might want to point out to her that when looked at objectively the sport bike is the safer bike. They are lighter, better handling, have better brakes, and have the better power to weight ratio. Any bike is inherently more dangerous than a car, but, as far as motorcycles go, on paper a sport bike is actually the safer motorcycle if both are ridden in the same manner. My wife actually prefers that I have a sportbike instead of a cruiser. She can see past the stereotype and she knows that I'm a responsible rider. I'm lucky, I have a sensible other half (and she loves doing yard work as well, I ride while she mows).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sportbikes and cruisers, the main difference is in their names. Sure cruisers have more power to accomodate the extra weight, but they lack the track performance built into sportbikes. Sportbikes are lighter and better handling and does not require as much power.

·
Registered
842 Posts
yeah i used to build custom choppers :)..

i ride both all the time.. ive had 5 gixxer 1000's a ktm 690 supermoto , a zx6r , a zx7, a honda shadow 1100 cruiser and too many to count choppers with 127 cubic inch motors well over 2000 cc's with 140 pounds of torque..

an 1100 cruiser type like the shadow i had gets left in the dust by any 600 so performance wise dont even compare them..

i loved rding the bike for what it was built for.. i spend most of my time on my race type bikes like the 1000 & 600's.. they handle better and i do feel safer on them

i rarely ever go over 70 on the cruisers and choppers mainly beacuse i dont usually have windshield on them and its not much fun

they are made for cruising and they are great for that..

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Word :)

I was actually checking out the 2010 Honda Shadow Phantom, a 750cc cruiser, but I wasn't sure how the 750cc would shape up when compared to a 600RR. I knew it couldn't be too similar considering the cruiser has nearly 200 lbs on the RR. Think I'll be forgetting about a cruiser for now, maybe once I finish school and move out to Cali, I'll start looking into em again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts