Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im taking a trip to NYC for spring break with my girl. I am planning on stayin at the Country Inn and suites in Newark, NJ. Heard its a 15-20 minute commute into Byc and we can ride the Path train or something. I have a few ?'s for you guys in Nyc and newark area.

---Is the country inn and suites a descent place to stay (want somewhere witha pool also, they have a heated one)?
---anyone have a hook-up or work at a hotel in the area?
---any descent place/cheaper to stay in nyc (paying 288.76 for tues-thurs ( march 30-april 2nd) on orbitz.
---How safe is this area?
---list of things we should try to do, tips to save some cash/freebies/or must do's
---any good nightclubs/specials?
---good place to take her out to dinner? (not to expensive)
---other advice

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Newark = Ghetto. If you can find something in Brooklyn or Manhattan, way better.

Pacha NYC is an awesome club that i frequent.

212 is a great bar that i also frequent.
The Dead Poet, is also a sick bar.

Depending on what you call "expensive" my favorite local eatery is Café D'Alsace, where i've been known to go a couple times a week when i'm home. Its French bistro food, with a 5 page beer list.

best things on the menu:
Apetiezers:
I forget what its called, but its a bacon and poached Egg salad
French onion soup: top 5 in Manhattan

Steak Fritte: Served with homemade fries and Fresh Bone Marrow.
The fish specials are also rather stunning.
Coque Madame, aka cheese sandiwich with a fried egg on top, though they only serve it for lunch.

Another Option is The Atlantic Grill, which is larger and not as much of a neighborhood feel, but is closer to mid-town and is more touristy. But all the locals hit up the Cafe rather frequently, and for good reason. Also, Taco Taco is a VERY small local mexican joint, usually ranked top 10 for mexican in the city every year.

Hope this helps.

Edit: and Stay away from Times square unless she REALLY wants to go. Its so tacky. Go to Union square and hang out with the locals, we don't bite. There's a Whole Foods there, grab a beer and a sandwich, and sit in the park with all of us in the sun, throw a frisbee or whatever. its what we do!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply man, we havent really mentioned times square but i'll def check out taco-taco if we can find it haha, also by expensive probably under 50-60 tops for dinner for 2, i know its not much but on a budget right now esp since it seems it is going to cost 30 for each of us for a round trip into nyc on the train ive read.

How does the Path trian or one week metro cards work? would i be better off to buy those for travelign around, i figure we will be in ny wed and thursday.

are all thsoe bars/clubs in nyc? know of any in newark, i've heard mixed reviews on the area but it looks like we are staying in the Country Inn b/c of the pool/jacuzzi and about 100.00 per night, can't find that in nyc anywhere so far.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Dude, why would you go to NYC for Spring break? It'll probably be around 50-60F. Go to Miami and stay in the Miami Beach area or close to South Beach.
If you must go to NY/NJ area, staying in Newark won't be a good idea if you're looking into touring NYC. Even if you have to pay more, stay close to the city. I made that mistake when I went to Paris. We stayed at a hotel about 20 minute train ride away from the city. It sucked going back and forth everyday, plus not being close to the city meant not being able to get food late, etc. Times Square is cool, I don't know what GraphiteBear is talking about "tacky". It's good to see all the big bright screens and shi+. Why would you miss Times Square if you're in NYC? Anyway, whatever you do, don't stay in Newark. He was right about Newark being ghetto. You don't want to be out late in NYC, then have to worry about traveling late at night to the hotel in Newark.
Also, think about all the money you'll spend going from Newark to NYC, you might as well put that towards getting a hotel in NYC. Eating there isn't cheap either. There are some exceptions (asian, middle-eastern, etc) but generally NYC is expensive to eat, unless you're eating pizza everyday. BTW, here are my top places to eat in NYC:

Pizza (if you go during the weekend, be prepared for long lines,
but it's worth it! Also, cash only):
1-Lombardi's in Manhattan: 32 Spring St, New York
2-Grimaldi's in Brooklyn: 19 Old Fulton St, Brooklyn

Asian (if you like chinese, you have to go here):
Joe's Shanghai: There are two locations in Manhattan, but the original (and the best IMO) is in Flushing (Queens) which isn't too far from Manhattan. The service isn't always great but the food is the best in town.
13621 37th Avenue, Flushing, NY (you must eat their soup dumplings! it is the main attraction)
9 Pell Street, New York, NY‎ (location in Chinatown in Manhattan)
24 West 56th St, NYC (location in mid-town Manhattan)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I'd agree with the guys above in terms of staying in Newark. I'd rather stay in a hotel located in manhattan. It will cost more but its worth it. You could probably find a hotel for around $120-170/night. I know its a bit out of your price range but you wont have to pay for 2 round trip PATH train tickets each day. Plus if you get tired you can go back to the room to relax and then head out again. I dont know what the train ticket costs but if your going back and forth alot it will add up. You wont get a pool or hot tub but you'll be in a much better location. I did a quick search on hotels.com and found quite a few 3 star hotels in the $140 range. I know your trying to keep it on a budget but keep in mind that aside from the costs of the train tickets (which will most likely be "peak prices) you also have to deal with all the train communters on your way in and out of the city. Try to steer clear of going in or out during rush hour.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Oh, and as for bars/restaurants. NY'ers will tell you to stay away from Times Square but if you've never been there before you should definately go. There are some good places in Union Square. I try to stay away from the "snooty" places with $15 drinks. I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a tourist..
Not sure how old you are but there are some good bars around the corner of Bleeker and Thompson near NYU. Plenty of fun affordable bars but its a younger college crowd.
As for stuff to do...you can go to the museums, Central Park, Empire state building, Statue of Liberty...blah blah.

In terms of Safety, I think manhattan is the safest city that I've ever been to. Funny that most people from outside of NY think it is a dangerous city. Maybe in the 1980's but not anymore. There's never been a point where I felt unsafe walking around manhattan.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
when i went i stayed at a hilton double tree hotel just on the jersey side of the george washington bridge. i forget what the town is called though but it was a nice area and then we just took a taxi into town
Edit: i just looked it up. it was in fort lee, new jersey

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Oh, and as for bars/restaurants. NY'ers will tell you to stay away from Times Square but if you've never been there before you should definately go. There are some good places in Union Square. I try to stay away from the "snooty" places with $15 drinks. I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a tourist..
Not sure how old you are but there are some good bars around the corner of Bleeker and Thompson near NYU. Plenty of fun affordable bars but its a younger college crowd.
As for stuff to do...you can go to the museums, Central Park, Empire state building, Statue of Liberty...blah blah.

In terms of Safety, I think manhattan is the safest city that I've ever been to. Funny that most people from outside of NY think it is a dangerous city. Maybe in the 1980's but not anymore. There's never been a point where I felt unsafe walking around manhattan.
Union Square Cafe is an awesome place right there. If you sit at the Bar, it can be fairly economical.

Its funny when people send friends to visit me in Manhattan, they always ask if they should take a knife, or buy a tazer or some ****. We have, i believe, the second lowest crime rate in the country for major metro areas now.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
We have, i believe, the second lowest crime rate in the country for major metro areas now.

That's what I'm sayin'!!!

Also, for a great (and cheap) burger try either:
Corner Bistro- $331 West 4th St
or
Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridien Hotel 56th street betwen 6th and 7th ave
Both have great burgers and both are cheap.

For a hot dog (wrapped in bacon and fried) that will change your life...
Go to Crif Dog on St Marks and Ave A. You can get a hot dog wrapped in bacon with a fried egg on it! It's like a breakfast sandwich!

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
That's what I'm sayin'!!!

Also, for a great (and cheap) burger try either:
Corner Bistro- $331 West 4th St
or
Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridien Hotel 56th street betwen 6th and 7th ave
Both have great burgers and both are cheap.

For a hot dog (wrapped in bacon and fried) that will change your life...
Go to Crif Dog on St Marks and Ave A. You can get a hot dog wrapped in bacon with a fried egg on it! It's like a breakfast sandwich!

Corner Bistro also has Excellent Coq Au Vin (French Red Wine Chicken Stew)
And Crif Dogs are bomb.

Also, you NEED to visit Atomic Wings or Blondies Sports Bar before you leave!

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
Never heard of Atomic Wings... I'll need to check it out also. I'm getting hungry....
Atomic is a manhattan local wing chain. if you go there during the day, they have great lunch Combo's Waffle Fries+12 wings and a Soda....8 bucks. :crackup:

God i wish i was home....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
How does the Path trian or one week metro cards work? would i be better off to buy those for travelign around, i figure we will be in ny wed and thursday.

My buddy just told me that the PATH train is only $1.75 per person each way. The LIRR costs me $10.75 one way...those Mother effers! You and your girl can get to Newark and Back for $7. Not a bad deal. I hate living in Long Island
Heres a link for the fares:
http://www.panynj.gov/path/fares.html

·
Registered
229 Posts
Newark is not bad and the price for the hotel isn't bad either. You would pay a lot more in the city. Your probably going to spend all your time in manhattan.
Do empire state building 34th st. Free
go to central park 59th broadway
south street seaport have different things happening all the time for free.
Times square 42nd
do a circleline tour
statue of liberty
the intrepid.
Go to the village near nyu
any pizza shop
For the club scene check out clubplanet.com
pacha
qou
element
just to name a few

·
Alcoholic.
1,852 Posts
I can probably get you VIP at Pacha if your really interested, but clubs in NYC are mucho expensive, you can drop a couple grand in a night easy.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Newark is not bad and the price for the hotel isn't bad either. You would pay a lot more in the city. Your probably going to spend all your time in manhattan.
Do empire state building 34th st. Free
go to central park 59th broadway
south street seaport have different things happening all the time for free.
Times square 42nd
do a circleline tour
statue of liberty
the intrepid.
Go to the village near nyu
any pizza shop
For the club scene check out clubplanet.com
pacha
qou
element
just to name a few
Empire State building ain't free if you're going to the top, and that's what everyone wants to do. That's about $35-45 each...but worth it if you've never gone. If you do go, try to go on a clear day. Those circleline tour buses are great too. They can give you a discount deal on the Empire state and Statue of Liberty.

I gotta try Atomic Wings, I've never heard of it til now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
when i went i stayed at a hilton double tree hotel just on the jersey side of the george washington bridge. i forget what the town is called though but it was a nice area and then we just took a taxi into town
Edit: i just looked it up. it was in fort lee, new jersey
I'm pretty sure the cabbies will charge you the fee for crossing the bridge going into NYC, that's $6-8 depending what time you cross.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well I suggest you listen to my input. I have lived around Newark my whole life, and went to school a few towns away.

Spring Break in NYC is interesting, do not understand fully your logic here though. NYC is a big city, and in a couple days you may be able to see some things, but tourists who stay a week claim to not see enough.

This city, I like to think more than others, is very expensive no matter what you do. You can try and cut corners with your spending, but do not be surprised if you end up spending way more than what was planned.
Some examples:
Train ride from Newark (Broad Street) Station to NY (Penn Station) costs $4 per person one way, a little less than double for round trip. The $1.75 cost is for senior/children pricing
Cab Ride - expect to $10 for a ride down a few blocks
Food- there are mcdonalds every so often but do not go there, other foods like pizza are probably double to three times in price where you live. Try to mix the variety up while you are there, a lot of the best tasting foods in the world can be found in NYC. The reccomendations on this thread are good, dont be afraid to google more or simply ask around.
Hotels - a hotel in NYC can easily cost double for what the same hotels costs in New Jersey. Take my word for it, get the hotel in NYC. Not only is the experience better, but much safer. Fort Lee is not a terrible place to stay, but a lot of asian gangsters like to lurk around at night. Newark you DO NOT WANT TO STAY there. Especially if you are not from here, Newark is not the place for you. The area where the hotel you said is not the worst, but if you go down the wrong streets at night good luck, you'll need it.
Also the NJ Transit is a total pain in the ass. I already stated the fares, but that ride one way is about 30 mins, normally longer because either the train will break, there will be a delay, there are a backup of oncoming trains, or anything and everything normally goes wrong. NJ trains blow, so just stay in New York.

The subway in NY will probably confuse the balls out of your brains at first but I assure you naviagation will become easier, also you can just ask anybody.

Enjoy the trip, with whatever decision you make, but I strongly recommend you stay in NYC. If you have any other questions I'll be around haha. Pacha -- amazinggg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I made that mistake when I went to Paris. We stayed at a hotel about 20 minute train ride away from the city. It sucked going back and forth everyday, plus not being close to the city meant not being able to get food late, etc.
When I was in Paris I stayed in an apartment. If ou looked out the living room window, the Eiffel Tower was right there, about a 5 minute ride to the actual tower (including walking down the stairs, swiping the metro card, and waiting for the subway) so I would definitley stay in the city. Like Renato said about the late night food, When i was in paris, I would walk a few blocks at around 10pm and there were street vendors selling crepes or pastries so it was cool to be able to be out at night and have a snack. As for dinner, you could always go to the olive garden or something along those lines, relatively inexpenive. The only downfall is those places are always crowded so plan accordningly. But definitley stay in the city!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts