Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello gents i recenlty picked up a modded 2003 cbr600rr, my first sportbike

the previous owner had put new sprockets on it, they are 16t in the front 45t in the back

i was looking online at what this does for the bike and its kind of confusing because you need to know the teeth count on the stock sprockets and what not...

so my questions are to you guys if youd be so kind to answer are

what did the change in sprockets actually do to the bike?

high end power gain? low end power gain? better or worse fuel economy?

is it for wheelies? higher max speed?

any help is appreciated thank you

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
stock is usually 16/43 or 16/42, running a 16/45 will make it accelerate quicker but it will have less top speed. yes it will have slightly worse gas mileage as you'll be revving higher for a given speed with lower gearing, if you ride on twisty roads having lower gearing is a plus but if you ride mostly in a straight line (unless you're drag racing) then stick with stock gearing.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
thanks overrev, do you know anything about velocity stacks?

what exactly they do and what is pros/cons
velocity stacks are located at the intake of the engine before the throttle body, they help funnel air into the engine to make more power, the radius of the bell mouth & the length of the stack affects the powerband, the bigger the radius of the bell mouth the smoother the air flow in the engine, the shorter the stacks are the more power the engine makes at high rpm but at the enxpense of power at lower rpm.

if you change the velocity stacks you will need a power commander to tune the fuel/air ratio. i already did the velocity stack mod but i have the stock stacks just in case i need to re-install them for tracks with tight corners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again, i have the power commander in, it came with the bike and im guessing its setup perfect, ill have it checked

1 - 5 of 5 Posts