Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok i've mentioned every now and then my fight with my squared tyres, on the month or 2 i've had this bike I've been fighting the squaredness of previous owner, basically beyond the middle line is full tread and in the middle is like a slick tyre(near enough...) so I've tried but I'm still basically going over niagra falls when i turn in, so i've only been using the tyre out to an inch off the edge, which i reckon is alright considering, but what i didn't realise is what a difference it made, when i test rode the 08 blade with round tyres i could lean that over like a mofo...like a hot knife through butter, what's everyone elses experiences with squared tyres?

it doesn't look like he was doing burnouts, but i think he was more like riding with an inch OF the tyre not an inch leftover haha...im trying get them changed asap don't want to spend my summer with these tyres but the cheque for injury is evading my grubby hands so far, delayed again by a final check to see if i owe anything for the claim which i don't so know they'll get the cheque to me, anyway....

oh and i was pushing the bike this sunday gone, harsh braking caused some fish tailing and it think it was due to being on that ridge(even smaller contact to the road), but im trying, maybe im being a wimp, i've had a ridge on a front tyre inflated wrongly once during a test ride, now that was freaky...they didnt mention it before either so i came out of a roundabout and felt like the bike was climbing up over a mountain and then dropping back in rapidly...not nice on a bike that isn't mine :cruising:

I've got R&G bungs on my bike(sig pic is older) but i've never caused a crash, maybe im being a bit cautious but i'm wanting to go back to riding full tyre especially now i've met some other bikers and we push it along the NW here at a pace, and my cornering is taking a hit playing it safe on these...little bit annoying, don't want to rash my shiny baby :)

·
Registered
991 Posts
First off please try thinking about what you want to say before typing it, people will be much more willing and able to help you. Second, I would definitely replace the tires and get some fresh rubber that is not "squared off" due to prolonged highway use. Having good tires on a bike makes all the difference. Finally, your fishtailing experience could be caused partially by the tire not making good contact with pavement but I would be willing to bet that braking technique is the main culprit. For the average rider, 70% front and 30% rear brake is a good starting point. People will throw out all kinds of percentages and ratios but the truth is as a beginner rider I doubt you can feel the difference between 80% and 70% so just use a lot more front and very little rear. Go practice a bit on a long open straight away and you will find the sweet spot.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Buy yourself some new tars to put on your scooter ........fer ya hurt yourself!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
First off please try thinking about what you want to say before typing it, people will be much more willing and able to help you. Second, I would definitely replace the tires and get some fresh rubber that is not "squared off" due to prolonged highway use. Having good tires on a bike makes all the difference. Finally, your fishtailing experience could be caused partially by the tire not making good contact with pavement but I would be willing to bet that braking technique is the main culprit. For the average rider, 70% front and 30% rear brake is a good starting point. People will throw out all kinds of percentages and ratios but the truth is as a beginner rider I doubt you can feel the difference between 80% and 70% so just use a lot more front and very little rear. Go practice a bit on a long open straight away and you will find the sweet spot.
I'm not sure what the start of your post is about, i think you've misunderstood, I've been riding for years, the fishtailing was not due to my braking, I have been braking the same way into corners in everything from dry to ice for many years and have never been the cause of an accident lol...if you saw the road you'd probably suggest it was that, or the lack of it, and the previous owner did not sqaure it off due to highway, there was also glass embedded in it(alot) i doubt unless somebody busted a window in the highway such things happening to a tyre happened on the highway. I've posted to get peoples experiences, not sit and shout out im not good enough to lean a bike...i am leaning over the 'ridge' i just don't like it, if my bike was just a 'toy' i'd probably be doing things alot different, like i said chucking a fireblade about was easy as pie...with the round tyres...

when my tire was bald i could hammer it just taking off from a stop and kick the whole bick sideways. loved and hated it
lol yea but mine is only starting to bald in the centre inch, it's got like 90% tread on the rest, also in the UK it rains alot so bald tyres wouldn't be so great :)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't know any tyre shops around you, but "bike tyres leeds" offer some nice deals, I got my power pures fitted & balanced to loose wheels for £224, f**king awesome tyre. theres a charge for ride in/ride out. have a look on the website, dunlop qualifier deals also.

or jordan bikes in leeds are offering dunlop qualifiers for £150 a pair & £25 fitting to loose wheels to their members. I'm a member, I live 2 miles from the shop & I've got stands & tools to take wheels off.

so if your interested let me know

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I don't know any tyre shops around you, but "bike tyres leeds" offer some nice deals, I got my power pures fitted & balanced to loose wheels for £224, f**king awesome tyre. theres a charge for ride in/ride out. have a look on the website, dunlop qualifier deals also.

or jordan bikes in leeds are offering dunlop qualifiers for £150 a pair & £25 fitting to loose wheels to their members. I'm a member, I live 2 miles from the shop & I've got stands & tools to take wheels off.

so if your interested let me know
see now if had a front paddock stand i could do loose wheels, save me a fortune, because i can to get rear sprocket and brake disc fitted to rear and brake discs to front myself as well as tyres by honda, BUT i ride everyday and so rims off and back on would have to be same day and being new to that i don't trust myself rushing that, after i get all the work done to my bike i'll look into it, not attempting it without all the tools to hand think I just need a front stand and a laser(the cheap ones you put off the sprockets to align rear)

i did once take a calipre off to check it...so i've done that bit but i've never taken rims off a bike :/ nevermind it'll be brand new discs/pads/sprockets/chain etc all at once don't want to mess them up :D (and as said, all same day) it'll happen someday i learn new things all the time, do most other things even been in engines, i do everything meticulously so i don't like other people touching my bike if i can avoid it as i know they don't see my baby like i do...

yawn pictures please

haha i'll try do some tonight

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
that's what I mean, if your willing to make the trip over here I can have your wheels off, tyres fitted & wheels on in 2 hours tops. I've got the gear to do it, or you can use my gear & do it yourself. I don't mind helping a brother out

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
mine are pretty squared off too... i've come to conclusion that riding street and lots of open roads will flatten out tires bad. oh well, small price we pay for riding street i guess.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i do everything meticulously so i don't like other people touching my bike if i can avoid it as i know they don't see my baby like i do...
all the more reason to do things yourself, a honda dealer wouldn't put a master tech onto a tyre/disc/sprocket change, it would be an apprentice as these things are pretty basic in terms of difficulty. in terms of tools, all the things you want to do to your bike can be done with the bikes tool kit if you have it (with the exception of the stands, which I have & am offering you the use of them).

you may want the receipts/service history/chance for compensation if anything goes wrong & thats fine, but I wouldn't pay dealer labour prices for them to let an apprentice touch my bike.

a friend of mine got his bike serviced at a dealer, apprentice did it, he managed to get oil over the rear tyre. when my friend went to get his bike it was raining & the bike was outside waiting, he didn't get 10 yards before he was down & to make it worse, the shop tried to argue saying it was fine when it left the workshop & they weren't paying damage, took him months to sort it out.

either way it's up to you, the gear is there if you want to use it & I'll help you if you want, all that can be done in a matter of hours

1 - 14 of 14 Posts