Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last couple days of riding I have noticed a squeaking sound coming from somewhere on my bike. Its not the squeal of brakes, I know what that sounds like. This is uniquely different in tone and frequency. In my opinion, it sounds like a wheel bearing but even after long rides (about 100 mi +) the wheel bearings are cool to the touch which makes me look elsewhere. Also Im pretty sure its not the spring/shock for the swingarm b/c is happens on smooth roads as well as rough. Here are some other symptoms.

-audible only up to about 40 mph (could the engine drowning it out at higher speed)
-occurs only when applying power to the rear tire. So if I pull in the clutch and coast to a traffic light, I don't hear it.

Chain was just lubed about 250 miles ago and there is acceptable slack. Other than some bearing, I'm confused at to what could be causing the noise. If you guys/gals have any suggestions on where to look, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 04 does the same thing. I can only hear it when I am leaving a stop sign or stop light. It is barely audible. DOes anybody know what this might be?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm hearing the same thing now. I did a swingarm powdercoat in 2007 and I replaced my bearings and seals. Maybe I messed up the seals?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Family of mice under your hugger? :icon_lol:

·
Registered
133 Posts
See if you can sort of narrow it down in a parking lot. Bring a friend and him look for rubbing moving parts etc.

I found my squeak this way. I hear a terrible squeak when walking my bike backwards while sitting on it. I figured it out it was my legs pushing my footpegs upward when walking... No big deal.

It may not be possible to pinpoint where the noise is coming from while riding, especially with a helmet on. Grab a friend and use process of elimination!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
do you have a front and rear stand? You could put it up and would be able to listen more carefully even put it in gear as well.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
do you have a front and rear stand? You could put it up and would be able to listen more carefully even put it in gear as well.
Thats not the smartest idea.... :tard: ....Im not sayin don't do it, but I would use extreme caution. Think of a good story for why your fairings are smashed.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
what are you talking about?... Put the bike up on both stands then he can have soemoen start/throttle it while he can try and narrow down where the noise could be coming from.
I am not saying redline the bike but putting it in gear and letting it out is fine, he said it mainly happens below 40 anyways so this is a great idea.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i think it could be in the chain area. check it again.i had the same issue and took it to a shop to get serviced. they oiled my chain real good and that eliminated the problem

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Higher pitch noise that alternates with rpm and goes away without load especially on an 03... my guess is CCT if it isn't coming from the rear. Good idea to put it up on stands and see, might not need to start it...could be the chain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts