Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to gain some insight into what you guys would say to a friend who doesn't really care about his safety while riding. Here's my story: One of my good friends just bought a 06 Ninja 636 last month but has no experience with bikes at all. He doesn't have his license and doesn't want to spend the money on the MSF course! He even refers to his 636 as "a good beginner bike". He already dropped his bike trying to do a wheelie in a parking lot two weeks ago. I could rant for days about this but I figure I would vent and ask if any of you have had to deal with these kinds of friends and how you might handle it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
First off, if you ride with them I would cease to do so. If they don't care about what happens to themselves, I'm pretty sure they couldn't care less what their actions may end up doing to you.

I'm guessing you have taken the MSF course considering you suggested it to them. If you're up for it maybe you could suggest taking it together. I found it to be a lot more fun when I did it with a friend.

Honestly, I can't think of much you can do. Maybe someone else can chime in and suggest something. I don't want to say ditch them entirely, but when it comes to riding I would refuse to ride with them and state your reasons why. It may or may not get through to them. Hopefully it does, but most likely will not.

It would suck for something bad to happen to them, but reckless actions come with consequences, and it sounds like they're going to learn the hard way. Just look out for yourself.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Seems like a lost cause in my opinion. Tell him what you can, if he listens great. If not, he can join the rest of the 90% of sport bike riders which wear no gear.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
I've learned that some people just won't learn until it gets real ie accident, injury ect ect.

I say cruise behinde him with a gopro and make a viral video.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've learned that some people just won't learn until it gets real ie accident, injury ect ect.

:+1: Hahaha!

But seriously, I know it can be tough when you've got a friend in that situation. I wouldn't necessarily stop riding with him, just make sure his actions don't cause you to do something stupid (i.e., burn through a red light that he's trying to make). If his riding is absolutely horrific then your best bet probably is to just let him ride by himself.

You said in the first post that he doesn't even have his license yet? How is he out on the road riding?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your a good friend for trying to help out, however its damn near impossible to fix stupid :iamwith:. Keep trying though since he is not only gambling his life but the life of everyone else that uses the road.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah he's one of those stubborn kids. I'm surprised going down after that wheelie attempt didn't knock some sense into him. I have taken the MSF course already but might be up for it again since its been awhile? He doesn't have his license but he has his permit. You can get your permit here by just taking a test that basically measures your ability to know what color a stop sign is. Lol. No actual riding involved. I'm almost certain he wouldn't pass if he tried.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hahah I'm getting a Gopro within the next few weeks. Maybe ill share the Ad revenue with you lol. Thanks for the idea! Time to make another squid famous.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Being a friend though I'd like to try to get some sense into him and not see him get hurt or worse. Maybe he will learn by example. But all the other guys we ride with are kinda the same way. God I'm surrounded by squids. Lol

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
All you can do is just show him evidence of what his squiddly **** will someday make him go through. The pain, the agony and torment is not something to be taken lightly. If he refuses to wise up, then he is his own worst enemy. Tell him you will stop riding with him and actually do so until he changes his ways. Good friend you are.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wouldn't ride with him either, I couldn't handle seeing a good friend dead in the middle of the road.

·
I'm a pretty lady!!!
5,859 Posts
Hahah I'm getting a Gopro within the next few weeks. Maybe ill share the Ad revenue with you lol. Thanks for the idea! Time to make another squid famous.

Glad I could help!!! I just ask that we name the videos "squids gone wild" and sell them for $10 a vid.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
unfortunately it takes almost getting your arm ripped off to convince some people that spending the money to take the proper courses and getting the right gear before riding is the right thing to do. I just pray that if your friend goes down because of his stupidity that it only take some skin and pride and not his life. Try and talk with him whenever you guys go out and if he still does not listen, well at least you can have a clear head in knowing you tried...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Survival of the fittest. Educate him on what he should do. The rest is up to him. I don't know about you other guys, but I get tired of trying to force other people to be safe. I'm done with it at this point. If you want to go ride with no gear or training, be prepared for whats coming.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts