Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They sometimes ride Harley chopper like things.

About two weeks ago coming home from work I was approaching the big interstate exchange heading west for St. Louis doing about 75mph. I was travelling in the middle lane of three a decent distance behind a large SUV (travelling at the same speed). To my left and ahead of me one car length was a Avalanche SUV/Truck that was overtaking the large SUV. The right lane was filled with a sedan right next to the large SUV ahead of me.

A chopper blows my doors off on the right cutting across into my lane and a moment afterwards two others pass me on the left and crowd in on the bumper of the Avalanche. I caught sight of the first chopper begin to stab the brakes to avoid running into the back of the big SUV ahead of me when he figures he can squeeze through the ever reducing gap between the large SUV and the Avalanche. He got through with maybe one inch of clearance between his rear tire and the front bumper of the Avalanche and not without a few little wobbles as he pulled that hasty maneuver.

Had the Avalanche not hit the brakes the chopper would have been destroyed... had the Avalanche hit the brakes any harder his buddies would have been wiped out (and my safety really compromised).

I thought about this a lot and I think they were so focused on showing me up and how fast they could pass me they didn't look at the road ahead.

Oh, and did I mention that not one of them had helmets on (it was in Illinois) and the most protective gear they each possessed were their cowboy boots and blue jeans.

Just thought I'd share that with the cool folks here. I've seen some other threads on here lately about squids and protective gear and all and thought this would make for some interesting reading.

IMHO - law or no law... wear a frickin' helmet!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Chopper riders define the term bro . . . . . keep wearing what gear you have cuz you never know when it's your turn . . . . . knock on wood ;o)

·
Registered
665 Posts
I have ridden around my gated community with no helmet on at like 30mph and it just feels wrong. I can't imagine hitting the city street and highways with no helmet - pure insanity.

I remember awhile back an article about a kid that crashed while wheeling on the freeway in Illinois I think and died in the guys' arms that wrote to tell about it.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
BH600 said:
I have ridden around my gated community with no helmet on at like 30mph and it just feels wrong. I can't imagine hitting the city street and highways with no helmet - pure insanity.

I remember awhile back an article about a kid that crashed while wheeling on the freeway in Illinois I think and died in the guys' arms that wrote to tell about it.
Yea i can't immagine riding without a helmet. poor kid. even when i sit on the bike to move it around the garage it feels weird.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I ride without a helemt around my small town in 25mph zones but dont dare step foot on the highway without my helemt and gear....not only because of the danger but the bugs in iowa are big:burnout:

·
Registered
153 Posts
i can't imagine riding without my helmet. it is like riding without a seat belt in a cage. i feel naked without it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts