Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this guy i work has a gixxer thats chromed and stretched yet has only ridden it like once since ive known him and his friend and him went to go buy a r-6 this evening i said how are you getting it home he said he was riding it like this "tshirt and shorts" cool guy style. then i said he was a squid he asked whats that nd i said people who dont wear gear his friend says i ride all the time without gear sometimes without a helmet when he was in kentucky then i just shook my head and walked away both of these guys are complete idiots regarless. the one with the gixxer said he would actually rather have rash because you can heal from that than sweat because it gets hot riding around. cry me a freakin river i hate people like them. more idiot squids here in virginia.

·
Registered
857 Posts
it is hard for me to look down on people like that. i wear full gear now (even pants) back in 2000 on my honda 600 f4 i thought gear meant a helmet and high tops. boy was i dumb.

·
Registered
923 Posts
they feel immortal or they are like gods, hate it, i wear my gear even when is hot out there i dont care!! its my life there, and if i have the gear was not to have it on the closet right? so hate that people that ride with shorts and short sleeve shirts i see some on the freeways here in cali and they think that just wearing helmet and gloves all is safe come on!! use your head if you have some!!.

·
Registered
368 Posts
had a guy at work tell me it was too hot for me to were my leather jacket last Saturday i just smiled and told him i was fine wearing it and walked away

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I dont think you need to be fully decked out in gear if you're just riding around town. I wear a full sleeve shirt, jeans, helmet ofcourse, nike's and gloves. I have two jackets and when it gets colder I'll be wearing them.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It was 90 over here last Saturday. I put on 300 miles in textlie jacket and leather armored pants and riding boots. Astar gloves and full helmet . Its fine untill ya stop. then I just stripped at rest stops before you stick to every thing.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I dont think you need to be fully decked out in gear if you're just riding around town. I wear a full sleeve shirt, jeans, helmet ofcourse, nike's and gloves. I have two jackets and when it gets colder I'll be wearing them.
Man, your nutty. long sleeves (useless) Jeans ( still useless) and sneakers just cant wait to fly off. Ride safe Bro.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Being a squid is more than just gear!!!!! My cousin doesn't wear gear half the time, other than helmet and gloves but damn he can ride that bike.....So just because U don't wear gear 110% of the time doesn't make U a squid!!! Its the attitude on the bike that does...

But flip-flops is a automatic SQUID alert!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
all my buddies i ride with prefer not to wear gear and it drives me nuts.. they just wear sunglasses and cruise around but i at least want to wear a helmet, but i feel dumb cuz im the only one doin it.. i think im going to buy a really expensive helmet so i can show it off and i know if i spend alot of money on something im definitely going to use it, and hopefully theyll start wearing one too

·
Registered
191 Posts
Being a squid is more than just gear!!!!! My cousin doesn't wear gear half the time, other than helmet and gloves but damn he can ride that bike.....So just because U don't wear gear 110% of the time doesn't make U a squid!!! Its the attitude on the bike that does...

But flip-flops is a automatic SQUID alert!!!!!!
Even the pros crash, and they're better than 99.9% of us will ever be.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
^^^^ So whats your point!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody cashes once in their life.........Thats not the point I was making........Please read again! LOL

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just don't care anymore I have 2 full leather suites then boots and all but I don't wear it all the time, why? my choice, probably pass half the people that call me a squid in the turns anyday, yes I have been down, yes I have had road rash and been to the ER for accidents, still my choice what I wear when I ride. Smart choice is to gear up as much as possible. I understand this just sometimes don't really give 2 sh*ts about what people think of me when I ride even if I am neglecting my safety by riding in jeans and a T shirt with a helmet.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Hes saying quite being irresponsible and racking up insurance costs by not wearing gear (and killing the statistics which is what insurance premiums are based on) and wear it. Less medical costs paid out by insurance companies the better off we all are. My job is dangerous enough, last thing I need to see is my buddies eating freakin pavement becasue "its to hot" (ie Im a pansy). I have buddies that ride w/o much gear and it freakin kills me, one almost got seriously hurt (miracuously saved it, I was right behind him) recently. I know one of them is going to get seriously injured one of these days, I just hope I dont have to go on a memorial ride (been on one to many).

Just my opinion dude, yes im a gear nazi and I harp as much as I can on the dudes in my unit but most of them are fairly new riders and havent hit pavement yet. Well... they will get a wake up call when they bite pavement in tennis shoes, jeans and a long sleeve tshirt (helmet and gloves of course worn but to me if ur gonna wear a little gear, why not throw on some decent riding boots and jacket, I wear a vented textile jacket in the summer and a leather for spring and fall, and im just fine heat wise.)

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I have a guy here who works with me, I dunno what bike he has (I could go look, but I'm lazy). He's stopped and talked tom me off and on about my bike, offerin to help teach me some things or ride together if I'd like. Seemed like a good guy all around. Lately tho I've been paying attention to more details. I notice he doesn't wear a jacket or gloves, and I've seen shorts a few times. And just the other day I was tellin him how I only had a week to go until I took the MSF course to get schooled, then get my permit and endorsement. He said "man you don't need that [email protected]" I told him I wanted it for knowledge and insurance and it aleviates the riding test of my endorsement. Then he said "man, half the riders here don't even have theirs. Cops don't [email protected] with bikes." I'd have to disagree with both. I've heard about too many people getting pulled over for crap reasons; seems like cops pull over bikes, period. And I'd rather be 100% in the right if I was pulled over.

I wanna say he's kinda squidly, but I just mind my own. I let people ride how they wanna ride. I'll voice an OPINION, but it's their life, their ride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No Gear = SQUID

Therefore, if somebody wears all thir gear one day they are not a squid. If that same person decides not to wear gear the next time they ride, they become squidworthy...

Just my 2c worth...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Living in the Northwest there are a TON of people who are ALWAYS in their gear no matter what the weather so I've never felt stupid. I've seen up close and personal what a rash looks like with gear and what a rash looks like without gear... I think I'll keep my flesh thanks! All the gear, all the time!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts