Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
speed shifting=clutchless shifting I guess?

I do it all the time but thats because if I'm not on the track I'm in the canyons, and the trip to the canyons is short...around town I clutch.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
i clutch it every shift but upshifting without it shouldnt be a problem for you guys. downshifting, though, is a no no of course

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
potate311 said:
i clutch it every shift but upshifting without it shouldnt be a problem for you guys. downshifting, though, is a no no of course

+1 on NO clutchless downshifting

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya no doubt on clutchless downshifting got to blip that bad boy when killin them canyons i really don't think clutchless shiftin will hurt it feels smooth i do both depends on the situation. i just want to know how many others do it and if they have ne probs. or know of ne that could occur if so i just won't do it. i don't think there is really ne benefit to not using the clutch. but i know i sometimes i do it and many of r fellow riders.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
if there are problems, and opinion varies on that, they wont show up until much later, when your 2nd gear keeps popping out of gear...or something like that...regardless, I continue to clutchless...

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
i do clutchless upshifts but a big no on downshifts.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
caboarder2001 said:
I realize there are different opinions, but if it was to mess up your bike, would it be messing up the clutch, which can be cheaply replaced, or would it mess up the tranny which would be some money?
theory is tranny. dogs on the gear cogs I think. full teardown to repair. or so I've heard-I could be WAY wrong.

Also, I've DOWNshifted clutchless a several times at the track-first time was accidental, just slid down into the next gear...so I tried it a few times and could manage it somewhat smoothly but didnt really allow for blipping so I quit.

·
Registered
275 Posts
may I ask why you guys don't like to use your clutch? It's not really all that much work, what is the benefit to it really? Maybe a 1/4 second faster shifting? If it was at all risky for my bike I certainly wouldn't be messing with it, cause when you're riding a turn and a gear slips, you're toast.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
matt194 said:
may I ask why you guys don't like to use your clutch? It's not really all that much work, what is the benefit to it really? Maybe a 1/4 second faster shifting? If it was at all risky for my bike I certainly wouldn't be messing with it, cause when you're riding a turn and a gear slips, you're toast.
It's not like you think. That .25 seconds adds up in many feet over 6 gears and that can make the difference in winning or losing.

For me, I use the clutch around town because it's just not smooth enough to shift without it at lower rpm's. It gets really jerky when you try to shift in the lower rpm range. Once the rpms get above 8k rpm clutchless shifting becomes smooth and much more advantageous. Especially with GP shifting. All I have to do is hold slight pressure on the shifter and barely blip the throttle. It's extremely smooth and fast. I was told years ago by an old motorcycle mechanic that it won't hurt to upshift on the trany but never downshift clutchless.

·
Registered
275 Posts
That's cool, good to know. I have noticed that the bike doesn't really like to shift at anything lower than about 5K rpms. If I shift before then (using the clutch) I get a pretty hard click when shifting up, but after 5k, its smooth as silk with barely any pressure. I don't race or anything so I'll be using my clutch all of the time, but I see where you're coming from.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I clutchless up *and* down on the track bike.. I *can* do it on the street, but as stated, not as easy to get "right" at lower RPMs so I blip+clutch in all but first where I just clutch..

Trying to keep in muscle memory for blipshifting while not on the track bike :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used to powershift all the time almost until I heard it might be harmful for the Bike but I'm not sure if this is tru so I just don't do it as often now.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
cuz you could lock up your rear tire, or the gear might not go in right, and damage things.

I always thought that was the reason for putting a 6 speed close-ratio gearbox on a bike that revs so high, so clutchless shifting does not hurt anything real bad, since the gear ratios are so close. is there any truth to that?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts