Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When would you say you need to invest in stands? Pros, cons?
Front or rear? Do you need them only if you are going to store your bike without moving it for a month or more? Respectable brands?

Shoot!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i got a pit-bill rear stand and i absolutely love it. i use it all the time, washing the bike, lubing the chain, DYI's, changing tires, etc..

i have no complaints with my pit-bull, but i hear that woodcraft makes really good stands too. i would say get one right now. they are really handy

·
Registered
47 Posts
I built my own rear right after I got my bike a month ago. I might try to build a front or just buy one. They are a bit more tricky than the rear.

After cleaning my chain with one. I would never go back to when I had to clean it by moving it a foot then cleaning the next section.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i got a pit-bill rear stand and i absolutely love it. i use it all the time, washing the bike, lubing the chain, DYI's, changing tires, etc..

i have no complaints with my pit-bull, but i hear that woodcraft makes really good stands too. i would say get one right now. they are really handy

I concur! very handy

·
Registered
48 Posts

I would recommend a set of stands also. washing the bike and lubing the chains alone is worth having the stands for.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
There are no cons about motorcycle stands. I prefer the pin style front stand so you can pull forks. I also prefer the swing arm stand as it will work with many other motorcycles that don't use spools. I use pit bull stands at work, I don't find them any different than many other stands half the cost that I use just as much. If you ever plan on learning how to work on your own motorcycles, stands are a must have.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The first time I tried cleaning/lubing my chain without a rear stand, I finished and immediately went inside and ordered a rear spool stand off of cyclegear.com One of the best investments I've made for my bike. Makes everything much easier.

Cyclegear has a great rear stand that is interchangable from spools to pads to lift the bike. It's still on sale, I believe I paid $50

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The value of stands can't be measured in dollars. They're invaluable for working on your bike or even just washing it.
Some are a bit pricey and claim to be sturdier, more durable, etc etc..
I have a rear stand from harbor freight ($40'ish) and it's been working out just fine.
Whatever stand(s) you get, I recommend getting front and rear.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys, looks like I will be shopping for a pair very soon.
But parking your bike for a long time without the use of stands is alright I take it, right?
last to winter's i've put mine in the shed on its side stand (before i had the rear stand) and i did notice a slight flat spot on my tire. however after couple rides it went away.

·
Registered
931 Posts
As already mentioned, I would defiently buy a set a stands for your bike. They can help with oil changes, taking off forks, pretty much anything. As for the front I would reccoment the pin set-up. Very handy.

·
BOTM Winner 05/15
9,996 Posts
Get a pair of Pitbull stands. They might cost a bit more now, but your grandkid's grandkid will still be using them!

·
Registered
743 Posts
it's all been said...if you are doing your own maintenance(oil change, chain lube/adjustment, tire changes, even washing) they are EXTREMELY helpful and convenient. I would definately use them if you're storing for extended periods of time(over 1 month) to prevent flat spots on your tires.

Here's the ones I have, they are [email protected] solid and well priced.
http://www.gpiindustries.com/shop/category_6/2)---Front-Head-Lift-and-Rear-Race-Stand-Package.html?shop_param=cid=&
$150 for rear, front, and headlift attachment. It comes with attachments to work with just about any bike(spools or no spools). Stands are stands, so I think pitbull is a little over priced and this is a great package that comes with pretty much everything you would ever need.

I tried to save some cash and got the package without the head lift attachment, but I DEFINATELY wish I hadn't. It would have come in handy recently, and I'm gonna be ordering the attachment soon. Get the blemished ones to save $30, they're not gonna be perfect for long and I couldn't even find the blemish on mine...few sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It would have been much more difficult for me to work on my bike for the 6 weeks I spent rebuilding it. It makes the bike level, gives you the clearance you need to wrench underneath it (for oil changes and what not) and allows you to spin the rear wheel for chain services (that you should do every 500 miles). They are well worth every penny.

Pitbull is hands down the BEST quality you can get . But if you are on a budget, like I am at the moment, you should invest in a set of Gorilla Stands. 70 bucks, front and rear, solid set

Here is my review of my set

http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=271599

1 - 20 of 21 Posts