Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to start a bike with a dead battery by rolling down a hill and popping the clutch?

I know I've done this with cars, but didn't know if you could on a bike.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yes, works quite well. MotoGP bikes don't have starters, so they have to be started in this manner.

·
Registered
133 Posts
yeah you can, careful with the clutch and try not to lock the back wheel.

If you want to know how NOT to do it search youtube, I think there's a video called 'How not to pop a clutch'

·
Registered
753 Posts
Second gear would be better.

1. Get to top of a hill.
2. Turn key to on position (kill switch to on position as well).
3. Switch to second gear.
4. Pull clutch in.
5. Start rolling down hill.
6. Gradually start to release the clutch.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Yes, completely possible.

Good information above

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
For possible future reference... how fast does the bike have be going? If I ever had to use this technique I'd probably be on flat ground.

i.e. can it be accomplished via a mild jog? Or is that considerably more difficult (assuming you're already athletically gifted enough to hop on the bike)

·
Registered
48 Posts
For possible future reference... how fast does the bike have be going? If I ever had to use this technique I'd probably be on flat ground.

i.e. can it be accomplished via a mild jog? Or is that considerably more difficult (assuming you're already athletically gifted enough to hop on the bike)
lol a mild jog? You could try it and see...just a thought

·
Registered
753 Posts

It could be done... running next to the bike in neutral can get it going pretty quick, but probably not above 7-8 mph. You can try to have it in first and run with it, then hop on and let the clutch out, but it'll be more difficult.

·
Registered
486 Posts
It could be done... running next to the bike in neutral can get it going pretty quick, but probably not above 7-8 mph. You can try to have it in first and run with it, then hop on and let the clutch out, but it'll be more difficult.
Yes, push the bike with the clutch pulled in and in 2nd gear until speedo says 7-8 mph and pop the clutch. Once it starts, pull the clutch back in and hop on. You can do it "jogging" with the bike easy. Don't use 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
HA! So glad I bought a new battery. I'm the king of push starts! Yea, find a nice downgrade, make sure you are in 2nd it's a whole lot easier. I feathered out my clutch at 12-15 mph if you can get it that fast and push the starter. Should fire up. Now when you are running the bike down hill, watch your calves on the rear sets man. I had bruises for a month lol

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
lol a mild jog? You could try it and see...just a thought
I'm sure someday I might have to... but until then why not take the opportunity to learn from others experience. :)

Yea, I was just curious how much speed you needed... light jog or full out sprint kinda of thing. 7-8mph sounds easy enough.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yes, push the bike with the clutch pulled in and in 2nd gear until speedo says 7-8 mph and pop the clutch. Once it starts, pull the clutch back in and hop on. You can do it "jogging" with the bike easy. Don't use 1st gear.[/quote]

This is exactly right. It can also be done on level ground, easier if someone is pushing it for you obviously. Try to park anywhere that has a slight decline that way you can sit on the bike and let it roll to 7 or 8 mph, you may have to give it a little feet running with it. I had to do this everyday day for three weeks until I finally used my trickle amp charger a friend gave me. This same one from autozone kept me from having to buy a new battery, just hooked it up over night for the first two nights, my battery has been running strong since. here's the link

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Starting+and+Charging&fromType=accessories&fromString=search&parentId=cat30100&filterByKeyWord=trickle+amp+charger&currentPage=1&navValue=101092&categoryNValue=100005&fromWhere=&subPartId=prod62008&itemId=prod62008&displayName=Battery+Charger

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Yes, push the bike with the clutch pulled in and in 2nd gear until speedo says 7-8 mph and pop the clutch. Once it starts, pull the clutch back in and hop on. You can do it "jogging" with the bike easy. Don't use 1st gear.

This is exactly right. It can also be done on level ground, easier if someone is pushing it for you obviously. Try to park anywhere that has a slight decline that way you can sit on the bike and let it roll to 7 or 8 mph, you may have to give it a little feet running with it. I had to do this everyday day for three weeks until I finally used my trickle amp charger a friend gave me. This same one from autozone kept me from having to buy a new battery, just hooked it up over night for the first two nights, my battery has been running strong since. here's the link

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Starting+and+Charging&fromType=accessories&fromString=search&parentId=cat30100&filterByKeyWord=trickle+amp+charger&currentPage=1&navValue=101092&categoryNValue=100005&fromWhere=&subPartId=prod62008&itemId=prod62008&displayName=Battery+Charger[/quote]

Becareful with that!! Last year I had the same exact thing happen. Mine died on me and took it to an autozone for a quick charge, went home put it on the tender for 24hrs and everything was fine for the rest of the year. Now earlier this year I've no lie done about 50 push starts lol. Took it tom my dealership and the battery was shot. Oh yea as for speed, 7-10mph should be fine. You could get up to 8 mph on a flat surface running. You WILL be exhausted though lol. Just try and find some nearby pushers to help you. Tell em you'll give em 5$. Heck once they push you and you get going, don't stop!!

·
Registered
309 Posts

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accessoriesShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Starting+and+Charging&fromType=accessories&fromString=search&parentId=cat30100&filterByKeyWord=trickle+amp+charger&currentPage=1&navValue=101092&categoryNValue=100005&fromWhere=&subPartId=prod62008&itemId=prod62008&displayName=Battery+Charger
Becareful with that!! Last year I had the same exact thing happen. Mine died on me and took it to an autozone for a quick charge, went home put it on the tender for 24hrs and everything was fine for the rest of the year. Now earlier this year I've no lie done about 50 push starts lol. Took it tom my dealership and the battery was shot. Oh yea as for speed, 7-10mph should be fine. You could get up to 8 mph on a flat surface running. You WILL be exhausted though lol. Just try and find some nearby pushers to help you. Tell em you'll give em 5$. Heck once they push you and you get going, don't stop!![/quote]

LOL you quoted me on the wrong part but it's all good. For real I wouldn't stray anyone in the wrong direction at all, it worked for me and I haven't had to push start in about six months and highly doubt I will. Even if he makes the purchase or a similar one (fairly cheap) charge that sh!t for two nights or one, whichever and then put it in the box and take it back to the store. Absolutely no loss at all. The bike it worked for me on is an 08, yours and his may be different as well. Since it worked for me im more than happy to pass the info along is all. :five:

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Is it possible to start a bike with a dead battery by rolling down a hill and popping the clutch?

I know I've done this with cars, but didn't know if you could on a bike.
yeah, had to do it myself a couple times... put it in second and get goin bout 8km/hr.. then drop that sucker and giver gas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts