Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 cbr600rr has 28,000 miles on it and started to have trouble starting after a long ride. It would start after i let it cool down however.
Now it just quit on me 100% so I have to push start it every time I want to ride.
-Battery is new and holds charge at 12.8 and 13.4 when its running.
-Starter relay clicks and all fuses are good.
-All connections to battery and ground wires are good and clean.
I've narrowed it down to the starter motor brushes going bad.
Anybody have a video how to take it off? Can't find one anywhere and there's a lot of wires and hoses covering the thing.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,811 Posts
Its almost certainly your brushes.

Pop the starter out, its really easy. Disconnect the positive, pull the two mounting bolts and pull it out.

Take off the end cap and clean it all out. Reassemble and give it a go. If your brushes are damaged you can order new ones from honda

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing I did was apply battery voltage straight across the starter and it turned maybe once or twice but wouldnt start. lots of sparks though.
Do you guys think it's the starter motor or am I completely wrong?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its almost certainly your brushes.

Pop the starter out, its really easy. Disconnect the positive, pull the two mounting bolts and pull it out.

Take off the end cap and clean it all out. Reassemble and give it a go. If your brushes are damaged you can order new ones from honda
Awesome thanks! I will give it a go tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had to drain the coolant (into bucket to reuse since I'm poor) to get the hoses out of the way so I could take the starter off. I finally got it out with a lot of cursing and opened it up. There was a lot of carbon build up inside and i got a strong wiff of burnt smell. The brushes looked fine after I cleaned them and I cleaned all the carbon out with brake cleaner.
I did however notice that the armature insulation is cracked and a copper wire is showing on the side. Anyone know how to fix this so I don't have to buy a whole new starter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is where the starter motor sits and the hoses you have to undo to take the starter off.

And these are the tools I used wouldnt have been able to get to the bolts w/o them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Colby, were you able to resolved the problem? I'm having this issue when the bike gets hot. I'm still trying to figure my charging system issue though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a refurbished starter motor for $30 and it comes in on Saturday. But the starter motor was the issue it was all burnt up. Just hook up a voltmeter when the bike is running to the battery to see if it's charging it. Hot start issue is most likely the brushes inside the starter motor from what I've gathered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts