Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruled out relay and power issues, connected a car battery directly to the starter.

Removed the starter motor and it works fine out of the bike.

Is the next thing to take off the engine cover and check the starter clutch?

·
Registered
862 Posts
From your tag I'll assume you have an 03. Find a wiring diagram, there are plenty floating around on the web, and trace back the wiring from the starter to the battery. Identify the components and test them one by one. I don't have the diagram in front of me and my memory's a bit hazy on what goes inline except the starter switch and the main fuse. As long as you got the starter to turn, you've eliminated the most expensive part. Be patient and follow the diagram and test the parts. Electrical troubleshooting is a bitch.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Starter clutch is not part of the equation. I just got my CBR, but if this is like any older motorcycle starter system, either starter switch, or starter solenoid. Jumper out the solenoid, if the starter works, bad solenoid.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have tested everything, there is continuity to the starter when you press the switch and I have also connected the battery directly to the starter and it won't turn while connected to the bike, only turns when you take it out.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Pull the end cap off the starter and clean out all the carbon. Make sure the brushes are good as well.

Reassemble and try again. It's probably got a terrible ground fault and isn't producing any torque.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If the starter works, and it bump starts, got to be an electrical problem. Do you get voltage (you only said there is continuity) to the starter when you press the start switch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But I've connected a battery directly to the motor with jumper cables, surely this eliminates everything but the starter (maybe it only works without load?) or something after it inside the engine.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
But I've connected a battery directly to the motor with jumper cables, surely this eliminates everything but the starter (maybe it only works without load?) or something after it inside the engine.
Listen to @wibbly, post #7. He’s telling you what you need to do.

Reactions: dixon cider and RR3

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ordered a new starter motor as my bike isn't where I'm staying at the moment, can only work on it on weekends, I tried the new one and it has exactly the same problem. Now I really can't think of anything it could be this side of the engine. Going to pop the clutch cover off tomorrow and see if I can work out what's going on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I just removed the positive from the starter motor and attached a cable directly to the battery. Big sparks, starter goes clunk as it tries to turn but doesn't. Same result with both starter motors.

My power source is good, new battery that starts other bikes fine, and also tried the battery out of the car.

The electrics are completely out of the equation as I'm just using two cables, a battery and the starter.

and now I've tried a new starter motor incase the old one only worked without load.

I figure it has to be something after the starter motor?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Have you had the clutch cover off recently? The starter is constant mesh so it's not as though the gears are going to magically foul themselves. The starter clutch is clearly working if the starter doesn't spin

Is your main engine ground attached and in good condition? You have only looked at half the electrical.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yeah I had the clutch cover off as the bike got vandalized, that was the last time it started off the button.

They had taken the oil cap off so I had to check they hadn't filled the engine with sand or something. It's possible I put it together wrong.

I still don't understand what you mean by half the electrical though.

If you have a circuit of nothing more than a battery and a motor it should spin regardless of any other electrics on the bike, if it doesn't turn it has to be something physical stopping it inside the engine as that's the only thing that pinion is attached to.

EDIT: as for the main ground is that the one that connects the engine to the negative battery terminal to the engine? If so it's all tight and clean.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,903 Posts
Half the electrical as you only checked the positive.

You not once in this thread mentioned that you removed the clutch cover and it never worked since.

You more than likely have a chowdered idler gear jammed into your engine right now.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yeah I had the clutch cover off as the bike got vandalized, that was the last time it started off the button.
See, information like this when you have people trying to help you troubleshoot long distance is kinda important......

Ok, under the clutch cover is a bunch of small gears all intertwined with each other. If memory serves me towards the front are several small gears, and they mesh together to make the starter work and I think one drives the oil pump. A couple shafts fit into the clutch cover.

It’s not easy but you can possibly put the cover on and not have them all in place and meshing right. A service manual would be a big help.

I’d check there, see if @wibbly chimes in with better info, I’m going by memory.

Edit: looks like he did while I was typing my post.

Reactions: dixon cider
1 - 20 of 27 Posts