Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my bike to work today, started up fine this morning no problem.

I was showing a co-worker my new bike, went to go start it up and the motor kept turning over and over. I didn't hear the fuel pump engage when you turn the kil switch to run. I didn't hear it b/c I was next to an exhaust vent for my work.

So I turned everything off and started from scratch again with starting the bike... Same problem.. Motor kept turning and turning.]

So again I tried. key in to igniton to run, put the kill switch to run and bike started jsut fine....

I shut it off, started over again, this time put my ear up to the gas tank and turn the kill switch to run. I DID hear the fuel pump engage..

So what was this, a fluke??? Everything seems fine now...

·
Registered
227 Posts
It could possibly be a loose or corroded contact on the back side of the kill switch. The switch itself could be getting worn on the inside, especially if you use it on a regular basis. From everything I have ever read before, even in the owners manual, that is NOT supposed to be the sole way of shutting off your bike. Stick to the key.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could possibly be a loose or corroded contact on the back side of the kill switch. The switch itself could be getting worn on the inside, especially if you use it on a regular basis. From everything I have ever read before, even in the owners manual, that is NOT supposed to be the sole way of shutting off your bike. Stick to the key.
Hmmm.. What is then the proper way to shut the bike off?

Without being next to my bike right now, are the wires on the back of the kill switch easily accessiable?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Leave the kill switch in run and just turn the key off. I have never taken mine apart because I haven't had any trouble with mine. I just remembered that others on here with this problem typical go to the kill switch and find something wrong there.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Leave the kill switch in run and just turn the key off. I have never taken mine apart because I haven't had any trouble with mine. I just remembered that others on here with this problem typical go to the kill switch and find something wrong there.
Yeah I found the exerpt in teh manual: "The switch is in intended primarily as a safety or emergency switch and should normally remain in the RUN position."
how was the fuel level at that time. maybe a piece of something went threw the hose blocking of the gas flow.
Full tank, ~26 miles on it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts