Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 600RR. Battery is good and fully charged. Just put a new rectifier on. There is plenty of power to start. When I turn on the ignition everything is lit up bright, but when I hit the start I lose all power to the bike. Just had the start switch rebuilt and it works fine. The only thing I can think of is either a short in the starter wiring, but I have no idea were to look for the starter or the wires running to the starter. Can anyone help me locate the wires or the starter? Any other suggestions are appreciated. I bought the bike totaled so I could rebuilt it by myself so I have already done a ton of work to it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
718 Posts
Try bump starting it, eliminate it possibly being anything else other then the starter. And then check to make sure when you wired everything to the handle bar they're all in the right place, and then I'd check your starter.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try bump starting it, eliminate it possibly being anything else other then the starter. And then check to make sure when you wired everything to the handle bar they're all in the right place, and then I'd check your starter.

The wiring to the handbags are fine. I went out and tried to start it today when I woke up. It was pushing with everything it had to start (great power to almost no power but she fired up).

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I tried to start it again, it lost almost all power again the second I hit the start button. Held down the start button for a minute and the neutral light came back on but very dim and you could hear the starter trying to turn over.

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
4,827 Posts
I've seen this before.

Pull out your starter and pop off the end cap. Chances are there is a lot of brush material in that housing. Blow out the end cap with compressed air and clean it all up, then reinstall.

If you have carbon deposits in there it will short out your starter and most of your power will bleed to ground instead of going to turning the starter motor.

Its a simple job

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've seen this before.

Pull out your starter and pop off the end cap. Chances are there is a lot of brush material in that housing. Blow out the end cap with compressed air and clean it all up, then reinstall.

If you have carbon deposits in there it will short out your starter and most of your power will bleed to ground instead of going to turning the starter motor.

Its a simple job

Thanks. I was at a lose. Will get it done today

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using Wibbly's advice? Good to know info if it was.

Mike

Well started with that and it didn't work. I started thinking like a man who knew electrical. Lol. I ran the bike without the rectifier working. Without having the rectifier working you will reverse the polarity of your battery. I replaced the battery after my boi called me and brought that up with my old car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts