Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey forum! I'm "new" but have been lurking for some time now. I am a 18 yr old new rider looking for a new bike but have had somewhat minimal experience. (rode a 2001 VTR1000F a few times with guidance) So, I am not about to ask the question "should i get a 600 as a first bike?", I am going to ask the question which should i get and if possible which 1000 would be nice?

So let me explain first...
I am a very self controlled person. i respect rules, decisions and have confidence in what i do. I know a sportsbike from a supersport and yes i know they haul ass. I'm not looking for the talk about how i shouldnt get a supersport as a first. Money is not an issue as this point and neither is insurance. I am looking for a bike i really really would like to keep for years, "learn on" and overall just have a great experience with it.

Now, the options i am leaning towards are:
2016 cbr600rr
2015 GSXR 750
2015 GSXR 1000

So why the 750 and 1000?
I know these bikes dont have abs, at least the 2015 models dont ( 1000 has an option for abs) but they have a power ABC mode along with a slipper clutch and a "Electronic" steering damper which catches my eye for a long term bike. The reason why i am leaning more towards the GSXR is because of the ABC modes. I know that regardless a supersport is fast, and ever the 1000 is ******* mental, but with that c mode, that could give me at least a smaller chance of bliping the throttle and flying off the bike. It would allow me to learn slightly more easy but i would have to learn the weight and feel of the bike.

The reason i and also including the cbr600rr is well, its a great all around bike. Fast and quick, but not too to quick, very small and easy to lean into, amazing breaks and Honda reliability along with abs. The thing from stopping me is that the deals on the 750 and the 1000 make them actually CHEAPER than the 1000!!!! The dealer has a promo for the 750 and 1000 with a 5 year warranty from Suzuki ( pretty much as reliable as honda) and a 1500 rebate on both bikes.

Dont get me wrong i know a 750 and a 1000 is A LOT for the ******* road, but this bike is going to stick with me and i want to be able to turn one of them into a track bike eventually.

SO LASTLY, i guess the question is: what bike would you recommend, (regardless of the starting on a... talk) and why?

·
BOTY 2014 Winner
2,723 Posts
I would not start on a brand new bike. Get a used one atleast for the first year. I started on a 600 and i know ppl that started on a liter it depends on you and how u are as a person..do consider it you will drop it once or twice. Just know this if u start on a smaller bike youll build your confidence quicker and become a better rider..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I was thinking along the lines of that too. a smaller bike would build skill and confidence quicker, but you are always learning new things on a bike. That is true, dropping a new bike would break my heart but money isnt an issue if i drop it, plus im thinking of fitting the bike with as much slide bars as possible lol.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am looking for a bike i really really would like to keep for years, "learn on" and overall just have a great experience with it.
What do you mean by learn on? If you intend to ride curves and mountain roads you will do ******* awesome with a used 300. Think about this. Pro-drifters don't start in a 900 HP drift spec chassis. They start with light weight low power machines. If you start on a 300 you won't feel the pressure of looking like you're going fast since riders will know what you're on about. If you intend to learn how to corner get a 300 and throw that sucker around. You'll get killer gas mileage too and anyone who looks at you will still see you and think "looks fast".

If you live in a fly-over state then your learning will probably be limited to throttle control leaving a stoplight. And wheelies... wheelies to keep you from getting bored. In that case, grab a big engine and have at it.

I started on a 600 and learned in the mountains of Norther California. Yes I learned just fine, but I don't browse Craigslist for 750's or 1000's. I'm dreaming of a supermoto or a cheap 300 that I can really learn to corner and not get upset when the bike goes down a couple times learning how to drop a knee.

Buying a 600+ bike is like buying a Corvette because you want to start auto cross. You really should have gotten the miata instead.

Get what you want. It's your money but conventional wisdom is going against you for good reason.

PS - If you do get a new bike, get some Chinese aftermarket fairings and throw them on and save your OEM ones for when you go down.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
The funny thing is you write this long explaination of how your question is different than any other newbie looking for a first bike and how money isn't a factor, insurance isn't either, blah, blah, blah but actually your thoughts are EXACTLY the same as every other thread asking about a first bike. And your motivation, testosterone, is the same as too.

And the answer is the same as everyone else's question: you will be FAR better off in the long run to start used and small then work your way up in a year or so after your tip overs are done with. If money is no object to you (yeah, right, that's why you are talking about deals and rebates being a deciding factor in your choice) then buy new R3 or KTM 390, beat the hell out it and buy your brand new liter next year when the CBR1000RR comes out all new in 2017.

BTW, how much is insurance per year on that 15 GSXR1000 you're talking about? How about the 750? I'm curious what a newbie 18yo is getting quoted. You know it'll go up or you'll be dropped if you make a claim or total the bike, right?

Good luck :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i guess it is the same as everyone else's. Money isn't really the issue tho, i thought it would be nice to save a few buck so i could throw an exhaust on and add some shorty levers to it. LOL, the insurance is ******* mind blowing with theft and decent coverage (with m2 and no msf) comes to about 9k yearly, but thats with SF. Ill be covered as a second rider and wont have to deal with such BS prices as much but it is still a choice to take.

Honestly the 300/250 route looks pretty fun and obviously the better route to take, but something is just pulling me towards a bigger bike.

·
Registered
14,362 Posts
Just have good insurance and do as you please. I don't care if you wad it up, I just don't want to have to support you when you do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i guess it is the same as everyone else's. Money isn't really the issue tho, i thought it would be nice to save a few buck so i could throw an exhaust on and add some shorty levers to it. LOL, the insurance is ******* mind blowing with theft and decent coverage (with m2 and no msf) comes to about 9k yearly, but thats with SF. Ill be covered as a second rider and wont have to deal with such BS prices as much but it is still a choice to take.

Honestly the 300/250 route looks pretty fun and obviously the better route to take, but something is just pulling me towards a bigger bike.
If money isn't an issue, why couldn't you still put an exhaust and levers on any bike you would buy, regardless of saving a few bucks off of MSRP? I say skip the liter bike and go for a 2016 Panigale R, it's ~20 lbs lighter and ~20 more HP. Oh, and ~20k more dollars too. I don't even want to know what insurance would be on it for an 18 year old.

Seriously though, ego and foolishness is what's "pulling you to the bigger bike". Listen to the advice here (and in a million other threads on every sportbike forum asking the same question) and you'll be much better off in the long run. Even though you think you're responsible and won't do dumb $hit, you will. Trust me...been there, said it, did it, got the t-shirt. As i'm sure others have and will continue to do. You'll do dumb $hit on a 250 too, but it will be more forgiving to your mistakes and lapses in judgement of your own skill level. Also, less costly to fix and insure.

Some people certainly have natural talent and will learn to ride quicker than others. If you're one of them, great. Sell the smaller used bike in a year and upgrade, but spend that year working on riding skills, not worrying about how big the engine is or how fast it goes in a straight line.

In a few years, before you know it, you'll be typing this same answer here or on another forum to another first time buyer asking the same question. God, I feel like parent now. "Someday you'll have kids and you'll be telling them all the same things we try to tell you now."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a GSXR. You definitely sound like a GSXR rider.

You know what you SHOULD get but I think most of the people reading this know what you WILL get.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In case this hasn't been echoed out a lot enough already... Start on a smaller bike. The supersports is likely to eat a new rider alive.
If its ego you are worried about, It's better to be able to outrace someone on a bigger bike with a smaller bike.

Yes I've seen a Yamaha R15 keep up, and even overtake 600cc supersports on twisty roads. It's not the bike though, its the rider.

Aim and become a good rider instead of going just for a good bike and no skill.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
you get what you put into these bikes.

Be impatient, and it MAY be a disaster.....

How's your mechanical skills?

why not a 250 cc dirt bike for a year? (or a 250 SM?), you will learn more in a year riding in dirt, than 10yrs riding on the street.

When you can lap with the good riders, then you would have some background to help make larger cc sportbikes......fun!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
you want something thats cool and fast get a used nninja 300 the girls will never know and its plenty fast and looks cool. ignore all poor comments. It is a bad idea to start on a 1000cc and insurance alone is 9000 you said lol dont get insurance then well get liability. It will pay for it self if you dont crash in the first year and if you do it will still pay for it self at 9k a year lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with 90% of what's been said.

Just get a 250 or 300 man...

You'll be ready to upgrade within 6 months, and thats cool since money isn't an issue.
If only we were all so lucky.

I lost 1,000 bucks going from the 250 to a 600.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL thanks for all the reply's guys! Leaning towards the 1000 also makes me think "yeah i dont wanna be a squid on a gsxr" but also make me realize i dont wanna die on the first 5km of the bike. The 250/300 is looking fine still, but i will keep looking around and keep looking at the thread for opinions :) keep posting up and i will consider everything

1 - 20 of 56 Posts