Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had starting problems on thier RR. I will give you a couple examples of what is going on with mine!

Yesterday I start my bike no problem, and pull it out of the garage. Go inside a minute then go back out start it up again no problem and head off to the gas station. The gas station is about a mile away. Get there fill up and now bike won't start! Guy pushes me off and jump starts it. I go on to work, it is about a 20 mile ride. Bike sits at work all day and I start to go home and it starts right up!

Today I start bike no problem pull it out of the garage. Go inside a minute and go back out and start it up again. This time I set the clock since it got off yesterday when bike wouldn't start. I take off and notice that it is on km/h and not mhp. So I push the button and it A B changes but it won't go on mph. I ride on down the road about a mile and a half and pull over. I kill the bike thinking the by turning the key off it will somehow reset the mph function. It does but now bike won't start. Guy tries to push me to start it, no go. So I park the bike, get a ride home to get on the ZX7R and go on to work. After work I go and jump the bike off with my truck. Jumps right off. Ride it home. Turned the bike off and cranked it several times no problem.

It has done this to me a couple times in the past, but I never gave it much thought because it was has never been a regular thing!

Does anyone have and idea what might be going on? Has anyone else had this problem. My best friend has an 05 F4i and hers does almost the exact same thing. I figure it has to be something to do with Honda's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
428 Posts
almost sounds like your battery is takinga dive, or a loose connection somewhere, but im willing to bet on the battery.....

·
Registered
784 Posts
My bike does this too...it doesn't want to start when it's hot. What has worked for me is cracking the throttle open while I hit the starter. Sometimes it works right away sometimes it takes 2 or 3 twists to WOT before it kicks over. I still have no idea why it does this but it doesn't bother me much because I can always get it started using the aforementioned method.

edit:
Just because your voltmeter reads the battery as being at the proper voltage does not mean that your battery is fully charged. A poorly charged battery can still maintain 12v but it will sharply dive once a load is placed on it. So if my trick above doesn't work try hooking up your voltmeter while you try starting it. If the voltage drops very suddenly then your battery needs charging.

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
are you, by any chance running with the high beams on? believe it or not, it does happen. no matter what people are going to tell you about the 600RR's charging system, it is inadequate below 5,000 rpm's, and will drain the battery running the high beams at all times.

the battery sits above the exhaust, and once the battery gets warm, it won't have enough amperage to start the bike. let it cool and it will start back up again. run low beams only and you will not have a charge issue at all, or keep it reved above 5 k.

·
Administrator
51,143 Posts
You can always take the battery to Auto Zone or PEP boys and get your battery tested the test is free and go from there.

One of the worst enemies for batteries is heat so if you stop to fill up and the bike wont start let it sit for 15 min or so till
the bike cools down and most of the time it will start after it cools off

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ceph said:
are you, by any chance running with the high beams on? believe it or not, it does happen. no matter what people are going to tell you about the 600RR's charging system, it is inadequate below 5,000 rpm's, and will drain the battery running the high beams at all times.

the battery sits above the exhaust, and once the battery gets warm, it won't have enough amperage to start the bike. let it cool and it will start back up again. run low beams only and you will not have a charge issue at all, or keep it reved above 5 k.
Yes I do ride with my high beams on! And now come to think of it, my friend with the the 05 F4i didn't start having this problem until after she started riding with her high beam on too!

Thanks a lot! I will try this and see if it fixes the problem!

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I had 03 in street tirm and always rode with highbeams on and never had a problem since I got her in 03....

I didn't really keep her under 5k though. I heard alot of people having problems with 03-04 charging systems. I never had one with mine...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You know come to think of it I ride with high beams on with my 1000rr and now I have to replace the stator. I wonder if that has something to do with it?? Be careful about it or you might have to replace a stator.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
If you're running around with highbeams on...
Get into the habit of shifting a bit later in the gears 6-7k?
Won't hurt to give it a shot, If you aren't already riding like that.
After I got my RS-5, I waste gas and go up to 10k in the low gears. :rocker:
Love the sound! My bike sits in the sun all day for like 8-12 hours and it'll start up fine.
I like when it's been sitting in the sun for a long time, it starts up
as soon as you push the button and is already at 1300rpm, no warm up!
I've run with highbeams on since day 1 (8200 miles)
never had an issue with not starting from battery/charging issue.
*Knock on Wood*

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
My beams have been on too since I bought it but I have 23k on it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hrmm...I usually ride above 5000rpm but I'm gonna try running with the high beam off and see if I have the same hot start problems.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts
04RRChic said:
The battery is fully charged. Checked it with a volts meter.
What was the voltage reading? Anything below 12.4v and the bike won't crank. Read the battery label.

I've learned a few things about the charging system of the RR over the past 2 years.

1) Running your high beams has nothing to do with it cranking or not. Sorry Ceph. This is one I disagree with you on.

2) The bikes charging system doesn't recharge the battery to full capacity like a car. No matter if you run high beams or not.

3) Repeated cranking is what drains the battery over time. Crank after crank is drawing the voltage out of the battery by the starter and the alternator simply can't recharge it.

4) You NEED to recharge the battery every 3-4 months (or use a trickle charger) regardless of how it cranks. Guys/gals with the 05-06's models can tell a big difference in the sound of the starter when the battery is fully charged. It spins up really quick because you guys have a high torque starter. The 03-04's models don't so it basically sounds the same not matter what.

5) When you charge the battery you need to charge it for 5-8hrs with a 1amp charger. You cannot use the "Quick charge" method as this doesn't fully condition the battery.

6) 12.0v is NOT enough voltage for our bikes. Even though it's a "12v" system, you need 13.0-13.8v on a fully charged battery. Anything below 12.4v will give you problems in cranking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
hey yall

i had the same problem on my bike
after changing the throttle position body
i put new thermostat, new coolant (50/50) mixed with water wetter
after i did that the bike was workin good, except that i had a coolant leak comin from the thermostat thing, so i guess i need to replace the gasket.
i still rode the bike two days, then i went and get gas about 5 miles away, well i got gas, the heading back i raced a charger SRT and i pushed the bike all the way, I won the race, the point is that when i got home my bike temperature was 221 the fan was on so i hit the kill switch and leave the fan on
then i tried to turn the bike back on and the rps where goin up and down
and i tried to go and it wont go fast
what do u think the problem is?
im about to take the fairings off and check if i didnt run out of coolant

·
Registered
501 Posts
get the battery load tested and if it passes then check regulator rectifier with the diode test and check voltage at the battery at 5k rpms should be above 14vdc, check the charging voltage of the stator which should be above 40vac around 5k rpms, also check the coils with an ohm meter across the stator connector should be around .3 ohms if the battery stator and rectifier are good it could be the starter needs replaced

·
Registered
128 Posts
why did you bump a 4 year old thread..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts