Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I start my RR when it's cold, I get a real hard crank, loud and quick. Once it's up to temp, it always cranks real slow like it's doesn't want to start. I checked the battery voltage and it was 12.85 and it still didn't crank near as hard as when it's cold.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've had that problem with every bike I've had, carbureted or fuel injected. But quite honestly I only have theories and not facts as to why they are a bit harder to start once they are hot.

Somebody help us out.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the bat voltage when its cranking. Whats the bat fluid level?
I'll have to check. Everything is brand new.

I was thinking it was easier to start when it hot...you don't suppose the computer knows the engine temp and has 2 stages for how hard it pulls on the battery? Hot & cold?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Wouldn`t think so. Heat can do many things to a bat and starting system. You say it cranks slow, are we talking like the "oh crap, I hope this thing starts" kind of slow?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you getting more than 12.85 volts at the bat while its running?
Oh yea, the battery is getting charged I'm just amazed at how slow it cranks. There's never an interruption in the crank, it just feels like like the battery is really low when it's not. It's probably just the nature of 600's.

I guess an F4i that it test rode a bit did the same thing. A buddy of mine said motors with really high compression are hard to start. I guess that's why the YZ's and CR 450's were having big problems getting started.
Imagine the 13.0:1 636

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I cant say I ever noticed mine doing this, but when I go out its usually about 4 hours straight running, I dont shut down until I get home. Might get out tomorrow, I check into it and let you know. Come to think of it, it doesn`t do it when i restart after fueling.

·
Registered
326 Posts
On some cars (especially V8s) the starter suffers from the extreme heat coming from the exhaust manifold. It eventually kills the starter motor.

Probably a good idea to go take a look at your starter motor the next time this problem happens. Do you ride your bike very hard? It is probably getting too hot. How's the engine temp?

·
Mad Chemist
5,798 Posts
I still have a theory that some dealerships are not using the honda specific battery and saving a few bucks with a cheap knock off. A few people on here were having charging problems and thier batteries being killed by the high beam. The actual Honda battery that goes with this bike is $110, you may have a $30 dollar walmart equivelent.

I'll take a picture and post it for the battery that came in mine. The honda dealership I went with is overpriced but very reputable.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably a good idea to go take a look at your starter motor the next time this problem happens. Do you ride your bike very hard? It is probably getting too hot. How's the engine temp?
My bike's brand new and it's been freezing lately. Only 70 miles Temp's never been above 180

1 - 11 of 11 Posts