Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i read on some of the forums, people are paying roughly 350-400$ a yr if you're automobiles is insured with them. Went to State Farm to get insured, car insured with somewhere else, and was asked 36$/month full coverage. I was pretty stoked when i found out, and took it immediately. Well poor girl, she was a rookie, 1st month working, and i was her first 'motorcyclist'. Got a call from her today saying my premium will go up since i dont have any automobile insured with them..120$ per month. So my question is, theres no loop hole through this? or my only hope to get a good deal is to be insured with them? man...put 2 months down too :cursin: other than that, i got a date with her for dinner :banger:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
lol sweet deal on the date. but i also have my car and bike through them and my insurance for the bike is 90 bucks with no MSF course and i'm 19 :-D. I think having a car with them as well only knocks off about 15 bucks dont quote me though

·
Registered
86 Posts
State Farm absolutely RULES for insuring motorcycles. This is largely due to the fact that they 'look at them' as based on size. So our "little" 600cc motorcycles are not a big deal for them to cover. Most other companies look at them based on type of classification. I.e. it's a Harley vs a Crotch-rocket. Crotch rocket loses.

The downfall of State Farm in this awesome scenario is that they refuse to insure the 'toy' (bike) on it's own without having a car (primary vehicle) along with it. And their auto rates are nothing special....... So it seems like a rose with a really sharp thorn.

The best way to go would be having a really lousy car, just a low-performance, cheap 4-door beat-arounder, and use that as your car (so a fairly decent rate for the car, heck just go for liability) and then have your bike tagged on with it. Perfect situation for the cost-wary individual.

But if you're like me and have a Mustang GT and an 07 RR it's basically a wash going for state farm for good bike rate or progressive for good car rate.

:shrug:

Hope this helps,
Logan

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have my bike and truck through State Farm. My bike is $30 a month. My truck is around $50, but I have 94 4Runner so its pretty cheap.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the input you guys, i will go in and ask for a quote on my car, to see if they could match my car insurance i currently have.

-A

·
Registered
227 Posts
You don't need to have both your car and bike insured with them. I only have my bike with State Farm and it's 410 for a whole year with a 250 deductible. The area I live in is more rural.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The best way to go would be having a really lousy car, just a low-performance, cheap 4-door beat-arounder, and use that as your car (so a fairly decent rate for the car, heck just go for liability) and then have your bike tagged on with it. Perfect situation for the cost-wary individual.

But if you're like me and have a Mustang GT and an 07 RR it's basically a wash going for state farm for good bike rate or progressive for good car rate.
:+1: EXCEPT... Don't get a total piece of s**t car. For me a '94 Ford Tempo is more expensive to insure than almost any '00+ car due to modern safety features. Make sure it's got ABS and air bags and you should be set for a cheap car to insure.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i pay eight dollars and forty cents a month

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it seems to depend on where you live from what i'm seeing.

Having at least one primary vehicle insured with them would give me a low cost to insured the bike. guess we'll find out this week.

and yes street racer, i will have to set her straight; there will be more than just premiums.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts