Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So VA tags finally ran out on my CBR and I had to go through the grind of getting my bike setup to pass MD safety inspection before I could apply for local tags.

Not to bore with too many of the details but the bike was missing side reflectors and a license plate light. Somehow VA guys didn't care that those things were gone but not so much MD. In the interest to keep the cost to a minimum (because all else is just dandy), I got the cheapest possible stick-on reflectors for 3 bucks that are held with two sided tape, and ricey license plate screws with built in LEDs for 10 bucks. I wired the plate lights in a way that would make anybody with a hint of electrical know-how, nearly have a heart attack. It's fireworks waiting to happen had it stayed on. Needless to say, the garbage reflectors and fast-and-furious style license plate lighting came off the bike as soon as I was out of the shop's view but not before I got a pass stamp. Luckily the inspection is a one time deal at first registration in MD.

What are you guys' experiences with state inspections? The shop I got mine done at, I'd borderline call them criminals. There's no way they couldn't tell this was a minimum effort slap-job just to pass inspection.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Texas you have to get inspected every year. It's pretty basic though, most shops just make sure the lights and brakes work and that's about it. The computer entry takes longer than the actual inspection.

·
Registered
181 Posts
CT also just does 1 time inspections for OUT OF STATE bikes... Thats right... If I buy a 1985 thats missing half the bike and has a rotted out frame, I'm ok as long as it was previously registered in CT. If I buy a 2016 from another state, full 1 time inspection...

·
Registered
966 Posts
No idea what your talking about, but emissions testing is stupid. Out here you'll fail if your wheel speed sensor on your car is bad setting off the check engine light.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Delaware inspections are brutal

·
Registered
245 Posts
NY - depends on where you go but I go to a spot that has "open" inspections. There's an hour window in the evening you can wait in line and get it done. They do nothing more than look over tire tread, brake pad thickness, horn, lights (heads, brakes, signals, license) and that is really about it. You roll it in their garage, 2 mins later you roll it out with a sticker.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Delaware inspections are brutal
What makes DE so brutal?

No idea what your talking about, but emissions testing is stupid. Out here you'll fail if your wheel speed sensor on your car is bad setting off the check engine light.
Emissions, I'll sort of agree that it's useless. Most of anything with an ICE already has to adhere to strict standards during the design and manufacturing phases so repeated emissions testing is typically a money grab but weeds out those people who bypass emission regulation equipment such as cats for street use.

The average car age in the US is about 11 years and I don't believe that's long enough time for the emission system to fail. Most of who gets turned around is for stupid crap that sets off the CEL like you mentioned. Old ass cars are exempt already and just recently a rule changed that you're also exempt in MD if you have the OBD I port. So the testing stations got rid of the sniffers entirely.

I can't say much about motorcycles because all of mine have always been exempt for some reason and I didn't bother looking into why.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Emissions, I'll sort of agree that it's useless. Most of anything with an ICE already has to adhere to strict standards during the design and manufacturing phases so repeated emissions testing is typically a money grab but weeds out those people who bypass emission regulation equipment such as cats for street use.

The average car age in the US is about 11 years and I don't believe that's long enough time for the emission system to fail. Most of who gets turned around is for stupid crap that sets off the CEL like you mentioned. Old ass cars are exempt already and just recently a rule changed that you're also exempt in MD if you have the OBD I port. So the testing stations got rid of the sniffers entirely.

I can't say much about motorcycles because all of mine have always been exempt for some reason and I didn't bother looking into why.
They just exempted motorcycles last year here in AZ. They still sniff test 95 and older cars, 96 and newer is just a OBD check. People still remove cats and pass, your allowed one emissions system reporting not ready and still pass. Its really dumb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts