Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went down the other day avoiding a drunk guy who just ran into the street in front of me. (He literally missed hitting me by a foot and would have if I hadn't tried to swerve).

He ran away before the cops got there.

The police officer labeled it as a Hit and Run.

So now my question is If I try to claim insurance will my insurance go up seeing that I wasn't 'actually' hit by someone else?

I am 24 and pay almost a grand a year for statefarm (with a clean record and one speeding ticket on my car about a year and a half ago) and would really not like it to go up. I will fix the damage out of pocket if it turns out my insurance will go up.

Can any statefarm guys who roam this forum answer this question? Thanks

(I am ok with just a broken collarbone)

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
What's the damage?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
usual damage from a low speed lowside

front cowl, lower, mid, tail, rearset, barend and engine cover - all rashed up.

I havent been able to ride it since I have a broken collarbone so I dont know if anything else is compromised - but I dont think so from a visual inspection.

Definitely past way past my deductible though.

I am more curious about how 'claiming' will affect my insurance. Thats all.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
The variables are too large to answer that question specifically.

It's doubtful that they'll increase your premiums if you have a clean record, but depending on how long ago that speeding ticket was, it's possible that they will.

And what's Maryland's laws? Is it a no-fault state?

·
Bleedin' Honda Red
2,380 Posts
Am an agent for SF, since it was a hit and run you will have to pay your ded for comp but it will not raise your premium rates. Comp claims are not surchargable accidents with SF. Hope that helps. Hope the recovery goes well and you can get back to riding!

·
Street BOTM Winner 10/11
4,320 Posts
good to know. thanks for chiming in fatality. (i too am with statefarm.)

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Am an agent for SF, since it was a hit and run you will have to pay your ded for comp but it will not raise your premium rates. Comp claims are not surchargable accidents with SF. Hope that helps. Hope the recovery goes well and you can get back to riding!
Your information is coming from... where?

·
Registered
882 Posts
state farm

i know this isnt the same as a hit and run, but i have state farm, and i had my 08 stolen last year, they processed the claim and my rates have not gone up, i dont remember even having to pay a deductible. they also re-insured my new bike with no problem. hope this helps. needless to say that the dealer didnt submit my gap insurance so i kind of got screwed on that one.

·
Registered
8,768 Posts

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
you mean other than the fact that HE WORKS FOR STATE FARM?
And? I'm asking where his information is coming from. Where is it written down in stone that premiums do not get surcharged? That may be the case in his state, but is it the same in the OP's state?

·
Registered
8,768 Posts
And? I'm asking where his information is coming from. Where is it written down in stone that premiums do not get surcharged? That may be the case in his state, but is it the same in the OP's state?
because its either state farm as a company's policy to not surchage a hit and run, or perhaps theres other governing bodies?

and, generally speaking, insurance wont go up if the claim is not your fault.

·
Bleedin' Honda Red
2,380 Posts
because its either state farm as a company's policy to not surchage a hit and run, or perhaps theres other governing bodies?

and, generally speaking, insurance wont go up if the claim is not your fault.
Jyn, There are alot of regulations set into place by both State Farm as a company and the states dept of insurance stating what is and isnt a surchargable claim. It is across the board that with SF if a claim is paid out under comp that we cannot surcharge the policy. Alot of technical details and with each case i recommend you talk with your SF agent and get further clarification based on your specific claim.

·
Bleedin' Honda Red
2,380 Posts
i know this isnt the same as a hit and run, but i have state farm, and i had my 08 stolen last year, they processed the claim and my rates have not gone up, i dont remember even having to pay a deductible. they also re-insured my new bike with no problem. hope this helps. needless to say that the dealer didnt submit my gap insurance so i kind of got screwed on that one.
You can turn the rest of the loan amount into the gap insurance company yourself if the dealer didnt do it for you.

·
Registered
882 Posts
well my dumbass has waited too long, i think. i paid it because i was impatient to get underneath 2 wheels again.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
fatality,

thanks for chiming in. Appreciate it.

I guess I should have worded my question better:

Will statefarm still consider it a hit and run since I wasnt really 'hit'? I need to get the full police report but the police officer handed me a 'receipt' of sort that clearly says 'hit and run'

I wanted to know if statefarm had a different definition of hit and run and would reassess the situation from their own perspective based on the full report.

thanks again guy.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Damn that sucks bro, I'm just now starting to heal up from my broken clavicle....been 3 months since it happened, glad to hear you are not that banged up.....sounds like all the exact damage I had to replace when I went down, gl

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
you waited three months before getting back on this bike?? how bad was your break? Doc said to let it rest for 6 weeks, im thinking maybe I can slowly start getting back on the bike at that point or a little bit later.

·
Registered
212 Posts
you waited three months before getting back on this bike?? how bad was your break? Doc said to let it rest for 6 weeks, im thinking maybe I can slowly start getting back on the bike at that point or a little bit later.
Mine was pretty bad and I still have not been able to ride yet. It sucks because I already had quite a bit of track days set and this happened. I was in a sling for 8 weeks, then at my last surgeon appt, he said I was pretty much healed up and can start doing all my normal activites including working out but still "no riding", he said I may be able to get back to riding by July or Oct at the latest, he said he didn't want me to risk it getting broken again since it is still not healed.....Here is x-rays of when it first happened.....

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah yours look far worse then mine.

im at 10 days and can already do casual stuff and stopped wearing the sling after 5 days (doc said it was ok)

Looks like yours actually pierced the skin - OUCH. im guessing you had to do surgery to get it back in and aligned?

So can any one answer my question about the insurance? fatality?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts