Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i got up and decided my stator needs new paint (previous owner droped it) anyways i undo all the bolts pop it off and one of the orange things is burnt, im not sure what that means so i put it back on and start the bike and there was a crunching sound coming from there that faded (when i did mine oil came out and when i put it back on it started grinding at first then mellowed to a stop) a very mild crackleing or wistleing sound in the stator. need help bad.
so im put in more oil to even it out and it helped a bit. should i replace the stator?

also there is like a mild howl type sound out my muffler at about 4500 RPM

07 cbr600rr.

D

·
0 Posts
Did you put everything back in correctly, tightened down and with loctite? Might want to pull the cover off and find out what went wrong.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea idk its sounding ok but my battery did die for the first time today.

D

·
0 Posts
Something either wasn't put in right, or possible the wire from the stator got chewed up from not being in the right place. Hopefully nothing came loose inside.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something either wasn't put in right, or possible the wire from the stator got chewed up from not being in the right place. Hopefully nothing came loose inside.
I never undid anything just poped it off and decided I didn't want to paint. Also a piece of the stator was burnt black.

D

·
0 Posts
I never undid anything just poped it off and decided I didn't want to paint. Also a piece of the stator was burnt black.
Sounds like it shorted out and you need a new stator. A burnt piece should have been a clear indication something was wrong.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like it shorted out and you need a new stator. A burnt piece should have been a clear indication something was wrong.
i took it in today to als honda told them about the burnt black piece and they said it should be fine, as much as i dont trust them i dont really have the money for one, what could happen if i leave it for a few weeks?
do you recomend going aftermarket or stock if i replace it and what brand thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
There's no aftermarket that I know of, other than race kits which will do you no good on the street.

If it is indeed shorted out, it wouldn't be a good thing to continue riding the bike like that as that sound you're hearing could be electrical arcing. Would be worth it for you to remove the stator cover, look around in there, and maybe post up some pictures. I wouldn't put it past the dealership to have not looked at the bike really.
You shouldn't ride or start the bike until you find the issue and fix it.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
i took it in today to als honda told them about the burnt black piece and they said it should be fine, as much as i dont trust them i dont really have the money for one, what could happen if i leave it for a few weeks?
do you recomend going aftermarket or stock if i replace it and what brand thanks.
a burnt stator is not good. it needs to be replaced... this is from ronayers.com. im sure you can find them cheaper some where else though.

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/PartNumber/31120-MFJ-D01/Source/HO

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There's no aftermarket that I know of, other than race kits which will do you no good on the street.

If it is indeed shorted out, it wouldn't be a good thing to continue riding the bike like that as that sound you're hearing could be electrical arcing. Would be worth it for you to remove the stator cover, look around in there, and maybe post up some pictures. I wouldn't put it past the dealership to have not looked at the bike really.
You shouldn't ride or start the bike until you find the issue and fix it.
here is a pic of it. if you think its nessasary i will replace it immediatly because ive been having to bump start it all day.

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
Um, yeah. Don't start or ride the bike until you get that replaced. You can clearly see where things have melted and shorted out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can. Ever see a picture of my fork internals, after fixed, that the dealership said were good?
thanks for all your help how difficult is it to install could i do it myself?
would als honda have one in stock i could buy tomarow?

thanks.

D

·
0 Posts
thanks for all your help how difficult is it to install could i do it myself?
would als honda have one in stock i could buy tomarow?

thanks.
Do you remember what you did to remove the cover in the first place? It's that hard.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
D

·
0 Posts
It's right above the stator. Follow the wire, you'll find it. How did you remove the cover without unplugging it anyway?

·
Super Moderator
6,497 Posts
I might have a stator laying around.... Pm me sometime later this week... i'll have to check the storage...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts