Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so recently its been raining alot over here. I have took my bike out in the rain couple times and it was fine.
But couple days ago i took it out in heavy rain with heavy traffic.
I smelt something funky and realized that there was smoke/steam coming from my bike. (seemed like from behind the air filter or engine)
I stopped and took a little break and started up and after a couple minutes it started again. I took a little vacation about 2 weeks and came back and rode my bike and it started to do it again...

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong if any?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'd say steam coming from all hot parts of the motor that water seeped into, but after 2 weeks... :confused1 hmm

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
1st time is just water hitting the headers.

2nd time if it was dry would probably be the headers burning off all the crap that got sprayed on them while it was wet.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
yeah if its steaming and your sure its not losing water or oil, idd let it run till it stops steaming else you leave water on the motor.

i get the steam thing a lot if i ride in the rain, but then when i get home i let it idle until it stops steaming, after confirming the water level is still good.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
You didn't mention if it was raining the second time. Was it? If so, don't worry. In heavy rain in the city, people have looked at me like my bike's on fire and I should be about ready to jump off it and run for my life.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh let me clarify, so its not over heating as the temperature is not high.
And yes its still raining but not as hard and the steam/smoke is still coming after like 15 min of riding.

Is it like gunk stuck to headers thats burnning off or something?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Water + heat = steam.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
^about to say that, don't worry just ride man, if you noticed, your bike usually heats uo to around 160-170F while riding and when idle it gets close to 200F, if water gets to any hot part, it vaporizes, nothing to worry about

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
303 Posts
As above, it's just rain hitting the headers and hot parts, also road spray kicking up off the front wheel. Stopping in heavy rain is similar to taking a sauna :D

·
Premium Member
13,137 Posts
It's just the water mate. If it's falling out of the sky or on the ground it will get onto the headers and turn to steam.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright thanks guys.
Its coz it never happened before in the past.
Maybe i shud wipe down my headers once for the main gunk.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I remember the first time that happen to me I freaked the **** out.
In my defence it hardly ever rains in la

Sent from my PG86100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
116 Posts
alright thanks guys.
Its coz it never happened before in the past.
Maybe i shud wipe down my headers once for the main gunk.
ride in the rain more, if you want or have to, you'll find many very interesting and fascinating things about it. But before all, read up on some rain threads here on .net for a safer and 'longer' riding experience.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Water gets in the fins of the radiator and will steam out as well.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what if is still smells like burning and smokes if it hasnt been rainning for the past 2 days? and the bike has been dry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts