Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a knocking/clunking noise coming from my steering head whenever I hit a bump. About three weeks ago a buddy who works in service at a bike dealership tightened up the steering head nut.

Hit up a somewhat aggressive road today and on my way back home the noise started up again. Came into a turn-around, and unfortunately, lowsided the bike. Whether or not it was in any relation to the steering head, I can't say. But, I do know that my bars pulled to the inside and my front end washed out from under me.

The bike (05) only has 3500 miles on it, so I can't even see why the steering head bearings would be bad. In any case, would this be covered under warranty? If not, how much am I looking at to get them replaced? More importantly, does this sound like it could even be the issue?

D

·
0 Posts
If it's clunking, it more then likely is the bearings, or maybe you're just hearing your chain on the bumps. Since it's an '05, the warranty expired over 2 years ago unless you bought it from a dealership and got the extended warranty.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's undoubtedly coming from the steering head. When it was tightened, the noise was gone.

And yeah, I've got an extended warranty. Pisses me off that something like this could fail so early on and put my safety at risk.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, no wheelies.

I'm torn between what to do. I can have them checked out and tightened for around 60 bucks or buy the bearing kit and do the replacement with the help of some tech buddies.

buy the kit and find out they're good, get them checked and find out they're bad.

lose/lose situation. i simply don't see how they came loose again, or how they went bad in the first place with such little mileage.

D

·
0 Posts
Why not just check them yourself? Check to see if they wobble around inside of the races at all. If so, they're bad, if not, it's another problem.

·
What ever its supposed to be....
907 Posts
Hold the front brake on and bounce the front end. Do you feel or hear it moving back and forth? Or, just turn the front left to right without moving it up and down. Can you feel or hear anything? Could be loose again, maybe it was not tightened correctly. Could be a cracked bearing race or something if it was overtightened.

Either way, chit happens, Honda is good, but it's still a mass produced item. If you have an extended warranty and follow the proper procedure, seems like they should take care of it. Before you go you and buy new bearings, I'd at least remove the lower triple and inspect the bearings and races.

The steering head on my '03 kept going loose until I cleaned up the threads real good, torqued everthing just a bit extra and put locktight on the locknut.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hold the front brake on and bounce the front end. Do you feel or hear it moving back and forth? Or, just turn the front left to right without moving it up and down. Can you feel or hear anything? Could be loose again, maybe it was not tightened correctly. Could be a cracked bearing race or something if it was overtightened.
Pushing down with as much force as I can (sore arm from the lowside) and letting up with no pause, I can hear something.

Not easy explaining noises, lol. Basically, a deep "click click"

What's that a sign of?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Might be a fork spring on the shims - mine does that on one side pretty regularly - freaky as hell

To check the head bearings - support the front end of the bike in the air (bike jack and strap works good) and turn the bars left to right, if you feel anything bind or it feels lumpy they are shot and it's time for a new set of bearings and races. One other thing to check if you are so inclined - take the top tripple off and see if the stem nut and or lock nut turn freely and make sure the lock washer has all 4 tabs on it, and if you are going that far might want to see if the stem moves up and down at all - it shouldn't, had one guy put the top race on mine down in the neck instead of on top the bearings like it's supposta be

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, all fixed up. I somehow was missing a washer/spacer in the steering head.

Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
770 Posts
i have a similar problem...happened after i crashed tho. it feels like the front end clicks and nudges forward a little bit(could just be a twitch from the clicking) i thought my left fork was messed up but wut does it sounds like?

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'm having a simular problem. If I push down on the forks there is a clunking sound on rebound at the top of the stroke.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull the bearing and check it out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
the clicking bit mine does isn't accompanied by any motion, just the noise - pretty sure it's the spring in the forktapping a spacer slightly - just noisy no real issue

·
Registered
440 Posts
my 07 shudders when I hit the frt brakes I do a lot of wheelies and I heard that that can damage the triple tree bearings so I think thats what my problem is

·
What ever its supposed to be....
907 Posts
I could swear that my brake pads have made a clicking noise a few times in the past. With the front brakes on I would bounce the front end and hear a clicking noise. Only thing I came up with was that the brakepads were sliding just a bit and would hit the inside of the caliper. I had removed the metal clips that sort of hold the pads in place though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts