Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Ive done some preliminary searching and talked to a few other 600rr owners out there about the stock steering dampers on the 07 > models without much success. I am looking at an immaculate 07 600RR from a craigslist post that has very very low miles and has had a few basic mods done to it. I went to see it yesterday and he let me take it around the block. I have to say ive never rode a bike w a steering damper so this was my first. I noticed right away when coming to a stop that it felt like the fork was locking up and had to have excessive force to center it out. It was almost as if it wanted to be turned off center in one direction or the other. Once I was up to about 10 mph or so it would go away. Is this the steering damper doing its normal thing or does it sound like something is wrong? I was always under the impression that steering dampers 'activated' once a minimum speed was reached.. not when you were near stop speed. Can anyone shed any light on what this could be? Thanks for the help and I hope to soon be a 600rr owner!
Steve

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
There may be an issue with the head bearings...

With the bike off, lift the front wheel and move the steering through its full range of motion, you shouldn't feel any lumpiness or notches in the bearings...

·
Ain't Even Excited
1,769 Posts
Hmm.. just throwing this out there but did you check the tire pressures? If it has very low miles he probably hasn't rode much and if it's been sitting for a little bit then the tires definitely lost air. Low tire pressure gives me that "force feedback" feeling that I think you are describing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your right about the tire pressure. thats one thing that crossed my mind. He said he put more air in them 'awhile ago' but that could mean months or more. One would think a bike with less than 400 miles wouldnt have a faulty head bearing but you never know. Whatever the case it isnt a deal breaker but something to be aware of.

·
Administrator
13,137 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it either if the price is right...

Good luck with the purchase mate!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts