Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the bulge in the header located right next to the oil pan?

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
if my guess is correct it could be some sort of anti-reversion chamber, some aftermarket pipes for thumpers have them like FMF, they call it the "power bomb" which helps boost power in certain rpm range.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
It may be the Cat you are talking about.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
CBR/LS1 said:
It may be the Cat you are talking about.
yah most probably it is, has anybody had a chance to remove the honeycomb inside?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two humps next to the oil pan...

Looking at the header at this angle you can tell the header is somewhat restrictive. Especially at the 4-2 merge with the cat? right behind it and the 2-1 merge with the slip-on connection right behind it. Those area are very turbulent and a bad place for obstructions.

·
Registered
2003 Honda CBR 600RR
6,790 Posts
the welds inside the header pipe (the one that mates up to the exhaust ports) are quite big & restricting the exhaust flow from the exhaust port so i got my trusty die grinder & grinded the welds flat just enough to be flush with the tubing, take care not to grind too much or you could grind off the welds.

there's also a restriction where the midpipe slips into the end of the header (the part where it bends upward) i'd like to take it out since it's only tack welded at the lips but not until i get a power commander.

by the looks of the header above it's a California model, i have a JDM spec stock header much probably the same as a 49-state header.

·
C.A.H.N founder / President
11,188 Posts
slipper said:
The two humps next to the oil pan...

Looking at the header at this angle you can tell the header is somewhat restrictive. Especially at the 4-2 merge with the cat? right behind it and the 2-1 merge with the slip-on connection right behind it. Those area are very turbulent and a bad place for obstructions.
I've yet to find a oilpan in this picture. jk. OveRReV handled this one it looks like.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bike is a Hawaii bike and it has the same humps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Header Humps...?

My bike is a 04 and purchased in NV. and must be glad to see me too cuz it's got the humps .... I looked in the service manual and they don't make reference to what they are...

I'd like to get rid of the headers on my bike after installing a slip-on and it came to my attention how heavy the old muffler and pipe were...

I'm thinking the headers are most likely junk too... There must be 10LBs. difference between the rs-5 and the stock muffler and pipe... The original looked to be made of stamped boiler plate and welded together and must weight 25LBs....

I'd love to find tube headers that would bolt to the stock position if only to save weight....

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have no Idea. Is there a gasket inbetween the header and the exhaust? I think mine is leaking exhaust i have a slip on Akrapovic that came on my 06 600rr when I bought it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts