Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stoner and Lorenzo have said (on 17 July, but I just saw the story today), that they will not participate in the rescheduled Motegi race. They say that this will not help Japan and don't want to participate. The track is about 120km/75 miles from Fukushima.

Have to say I agree with them. There are much more important issues for people in that area to focus their energy on and I highly doubt anyone who has been seriously affected will be able to take in a race. Any economic benefit or profits could just as easily be sent to help the people by using another track somewhere else.

Here's a link to a story on the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motogp/14176692.stm

Meanwhile, Dorna and MotoGP say there are no problems based on a recent report:

http://www.***********/en/news/2011/Grand+Prix+of+Japan+Statement+from+the+FIM

Just type in motogp . com without the spaces to go to the article from their site. I don't know why stars come up here.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
They would be the whiny bitches to say that.

Not a matter of "donating" to make up for it. The economic stimulus would be huge. Hotels, Resturaunts, would all get an Im sure much needed boost.

Then there is the human side of it. A sense of perseverance and normalcy. That things will get better.

No matter what Stoner and Lorenzo say they are doing it cause they are misinformed about the "risk" of radiation exposure. Im sure I could go tanning on my roof for 4 hours and be exposed to more radiation than they will get all race weekend.

Would just be awesome though if they are both putting up a front and then one of them actually ends up showing for the race lol. How that would **** over the championship!

·
T. BOTM Winner 10/11
4,508 Posts
treating japan like a disease isn't going to help. this event would bring revenue, give the people something special to participate in, and would bring the racers to the country and allow them to be a positive presence. the race is whatever they decide to make of it, and if they feel that their absence is more beneficial than their presence than that speaks for itself

Reactions: Renato

·
BOTM Winner 03/13
3,143 Posts
They would be the whiny bitches to say that.

Not a matter of "donating" to make up for it. The economic stimulus would be huge. Hotels, Resturaunts, would all get an Im sure much needed boost.

Then there is the human side of it. A sense of perseverance and normalcy. That things will get better.

No matter what Stoner and Lorenzo say they are doing it cause they are misinformed about the "risk" of radiation exposure. Im sure I could go tanning on my roof for 4 hours and be exposed to more radiation than they will get all race weekend.

Would just be awesome though if they are both putting up a front and then one of them actually ends up showing for the race lol. How that would **** over the championship!
:+1:

Exactly. Think of what this will do for Japanese tourism as a whole. If the place really is safe (and the reports apparently show this), then the MotoGP race is broadcast across the globe. That will present safety and normality to a huge audience and will set people's minds at ease with regards to taking a trip to Japan.

To give you an idea of just how well the Japanese have bounced back from the terrible natural disaster, here's a little comparitive example: In the UK, we get snow almost every year. This year, it was particularly bad, but we knew it was coming. Many of my local roads were impassable for weeks because of poor preparation and then an even more half hearted recovery effort. I was unable to use my car for approximately 1 month. in Japan, they had a full on earthquake and tsunami to deal with. Some of their roads were torn to pieces but the roads authorities had them repaired, back up and running within a matter of days.

I intend to go to Japan at some point within the next 2 years to take in either F1 or MotoGP and have a short holiday. I'm not delaying that because of the nuclear issues; I just can't afford it at the moment.

Don't you find it rather hypocritical that Stoner and Lorenzo both carry slogans of support for Japan, on their Japanese bikes, but are unwilling to visit the country?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This news is OLD...
Stoner made his comments on 17 July, which is a bit old, but the official report was released on 2 August, which is clearly not that old. What will be interesting to see is if they change their minds.

Anyway, who said anything about donating? The race could be moved to Suzuka, which is much further away, and kept in Japan. Filling up roads with traffic for a few days near Motegi isn't going to help repair damage and diverting local resources won't rebuild houses or industry.

But yeah, the radiation argument would be a little weak at this point according to reports. I think they should do it, but move it to Suzuka to keep it in Japan. It doesn't seem appropriate to me to hold the even so close to where the accident happened. It's probably worth noting that the Japanese government itself banned beef from Iwate, which is far away from Fukushima, just last week. It also does not have a good record of reporting nuclear problems honestly.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Stoner made his comments on 17 July, which is a bit old, but the official report was released on 2 August, which is clearly not that old. What will be interesting to see is if they change their minds.

Anyway, who said anything about donating? The race could be moved to Suzuka, which is much further away, and kept in Japan. Filling up roads with traffic for a few days near Motegi isn't going to help repair damage and diverting local resources won't rebuild houses or industry.

But yeah, the radiation argument would be a little weak at this point according to reports. I think they should do it, but move it to Suzuka to keep it in Japan. It doesn't seem appropriate to me to hold the even so close to where the accident happened. It's probably worth noting that the Japanese government itself banned beef from Iwate, which is far away from Fukushima, just last week. It also does not have a good record of reporting nuclear problems honestly.
Still sort of new to the history of GP...but didn't they stop racing at Suzuka due to safety concerns?

·
Registered
389 Posts
For the sake of offering a counter argument

1. Just a calrification Jorge and Casey don't want to race 75km from the nuclear reactor. They have stated that they would be willing to race elsewhere in Japan.

2. VR and Dani have both publicly stated they dont want to go either. Dani has said he will not race there either. The difference is Casey and Jorge have been the most vocal.

3. The entire motoGp grid minus Ayoma signed a petition stating they don't want to go there. The only difference is that Casey and Lorenzo are not going to lose their job due to there talent, where any one outside of alien status would lose theirs. So they can speak out on behalf of the entire grid.

4. The day Dorna released their report this came out link

5. "Their objections are based not so much on the radiation at the Motegi circuit, but more on the situation at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. The Fukushima prefecture continues to be rocked by aftershocks, some as high as magnitude 6.4, and there is a broad concern inside the paddock that the situation at the plant is not under control, and that a large earthquake during the MotoGP weekend could cause the plant to suffer further damage and lead to a large-scale release of radiation." link

6. The fact of the matter is that Dorna want to go there so badly due to contractual obligations not due to raising Japanese moral. There are still 5000 people that are unaccounted for in the earth quake stricken part of Japan. A MotoGP race is not going to make their families "feel" any better.

7. As for the economic influence of a MotoGP race in Japan, in the immediate area it will be a surplus but as for the country it will not even make a dent. for reference please check the stock index of Toyota, Sony, Honda or any large Japanese company prior to the earth quake until now. The dip and upswing you will see in stock values have nothing to do with MotoGP.

This is just a counter argument, I know people tend to get heated on here when counter points are put out there. So don't take any of the above personal.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They be goin to fast to cop any radiation!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Y'all can blow all the hot air you want about the economic value (or lack thereof) of a race in Motegi, but the radiation concerns are, at best, misplaced.

The riders get MRIs and x-rays like it's no big deal and now they are concerned about nuclear radiation? Puh-leeze. They need to shut up and race or start reading more books.

this from motomatters:

For comparison, current levels of radiation at Mito - the town where most of the riders and teams stay during - is 86 nanosieverts or 0.086 microsieverts (µSv) an hour (measured at 1am local time on July 20th, 2011). Over the course of a six-day stay in the region (though teams will often stay for just five days), a person would receive just under 12.4 µSv of radiation, about 60% of the dose of a single chest x-ray. By comparison, radiation levels in Chemnitz, where the teams generally stay during the German Grand Prix at the Sachsenring, were about 100 nanosieverts, or 0.1 µSv an hour. Staying in Chemnitz for 6 days exposed the teams to 14.4 µSv of radiation.

Naturally, the background radiation levels are just one part of the overal risk assessment of going to Motegi for the Japanese MotoGP round. There are other threats: another earthquake in the highly geologically active region and along the now highly active fault could cause further serious damage to damaged Fukushima nuclear plant; the efforts to stabilize the situation at the plant could fail dramatically, release large quantities of radiation into the atmosphere; or another earthquake could cause structural damage in the buildings the teams are staying, potentially endangering those in the building at the time. However, what the above the chart shows is that the background levels alone are not cause for concern.

For a full report on the risk of developing cancer from radiation, see this report by the World Health Organization's International Agency for Research on Cancer. And for a comparison, see the report on the cancer risks of smoking from the same body.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You make a very valid point RAMTARD, but everyone has a choice on what level of 'perceived' risk is acceptable for themselves. Case in point everyone has the option to bypass the scanner at the airport and submit to a physical pat down, even though relatively speaking the radiation received from a flight longer then 2 hours submits you to more radiation. That never makes sense to me but everyone has that option why can't someone 'choose' to sit out of a race due to fears of radiation no matter how illogical it may appear?

On a more quantitative note the radiation left in food affected by radiation is not insignificant. This is particularly true in food grown in the affected area (vegetables, fruit etc) which absorb larger amounts of radiation through osmosis then the average mammal in the same area. No one will fall and die from eating it but the long term affects are not negligible or something to take lightly. Case in point although Chernobyl is relatively safe to walk around in and even spend the night the plant life there is highly radioactive after all these years.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You make a very valid point RAMTARD, but everyone has a choice on what level of 'perceived' risk is acceptable for themselves. Case in point everyone has the option to bypass the scanner at the airport and submit to a physical pat down, even though relatively speaking the radiation received from a flight longer then 2 hours submits you to more radiation. That never makes sense to me but everyone has that option why can't someone 'choose' to sit out of a race due to fears of radiation no matter how illogical it may appear?
Because they're contracted riders and they should get on the bike and do their job?

Going around the airport scanner is not comparable to sitting out a race over paranoia.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That never makes sense to me but everyone has that option why can't someone 'choose' to sit out of a race due to fears of radiation no matter how illogical it may appear?
I'm not saying they can't make a personal choice, I'm suggesting that their personal choice is based on ignorance and misinformation. I think that's a pretty poor way to make your decisions.

Their employers are likely very peeved. If I where HRC or Yamaha I would be getting ready to kick Lorenzo and Stoner right in the balls. The riders are important but so are the guys that sign the checks.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts