Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
51,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The World Champion Casey Stoner completed his work early on the final day of 2008's second MotoGP test, topping the timesheet by nearly a second over his closest rival.

The Ducati Marlboro rider who won at his home circuit in last October's Grand Prix visit, having already clinched the title, had notched a time of 1'28.777 on qualifiers before lunch and went on to enjoy a highly satisfactory race simulation in the afternoon – wrapping up his work for the week by 4pm.

After some minor problems in Sepang last week for Ducati, Stoner will be pleased to have been 0.957s clear at the top of the timesheet here with a lap which is two tenths faster the Nicky Hayden's 2006 official circuit best lap.

Stoner's race simulation saw him produce a flawless string of fast laps, with several under the 1'30.332 circuit record held by his new team-mate Marco Melandri, to end three positive days for the MotoGP title holder on home soil.

Second on the timesheet was Hayden himself, his hot lap coming on the potent Michelin qualifying tyre, but despite doubling the amount of laps put in by Stoner the 2006 World Champion will still feel there is work to do on his race set-up when he compares his overall times with those of the young Australian pace setter.

Meanwhile, continuing his steady but considerable progress as a MotoGP newcomer, rookie James Toseland has again impressed this week ‘Down Under' and he concluded proceedings as the third fastest participant with a qualifying tyre lap just 0.020s slower than Hayden's. The Englishman also demonstrated good pace on race tyres and his diligent work is earning respect within the Yamaha Tech3 team and beyond.

Like Toseland, fellow premier class rookie Andrea Dovizioso has visited Phillip Island several times previously on different machinery, but until this week the Italian has not been a huge fan of the circuit. He has produced decent times over the last three days and ends the week fourth on the timesheet with a similar lap time to Toseland.

Behind JiR Team Scot's ‘Dovi' and new Tech3 colleague Toseland, Colin Edwards completed a top five of riders who went under the 1'30 mark with a best effort of the day on the last of his 56 laps, which had been completed by 2pm, as the experienced Texan rounded off his work early in the afternoon.

Phillip Island MotoGP 2008 winter test – day three – best lap times

1. STONER, DUCATI MARLBORO - 01'28.777 (51)
2. HAYDEN, REPSOL HONDA TEAM - 01'29.734 (102)
3. TOSELAND, YAMAHA TECH3 - 01'29.754 (89)

4. DOVIZIOSO, JiR TEAM SCOT - 01'29.780 (90)
5. EDWARDS, YAMAHA TECH3 - 01'29.795 (56)
6. VERMEULEN, RIZLA SUZUKI - 01'30.216 (73)
7. DE ANGELIS, HONDA GRESINI - 01'30.438 (91)
8. NAKANO, HONDA GRESINI - 01'30.728 (89)
9. ELIAS, ALICE TEAM - 01'30.966 (97)
10. DE PUNIET, LCR HONDA MotoGP - 01'30.978 (115)
11. GUINTOLI, ALICE TEAM - 01'30.983 (58)
12. MELANDRI, DUCATI MARLBORO - 01'31.377 (108)
13. CAPIROSSI, RIZLA SUZUKI - 01'31.508 (75)
14. WEST, KAWASAKI RACING - 01'31.957 (90)

·
Premium Member
13,432 Posts
Stoner is still in the zone. Its great to see the Tech3 team up there though! Hopefully Edwards will have a great season...and maybe his first win!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
yeh Stoner's looking to repeat.
But Honda should have their top speed issues sorted out soon.

I think this new bike plays so well to the recent 250cc GP guys.

I think it'll be Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, and Rossi in the end, with an Honorable mention to Dovizioso.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Yeah, Toseland impressed me as well. But damn Stoner is fast. A second above the rest? Come on, thats moving!

·
Registered
590 Posts
This season gonna be a nail biter.Everybody running a good pace.I'm goin with Pedrosa,Stoner,Hayden,Malandri.

·
Overpaid South Pacific Barista overactive ADHD c
27,367 Posts
just wait for dani onthe new engined honda he will be setting very very fast times this year...

plus looks like the tire crying is over and we have a more equal playing field for both brands this year!!!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
yeh Stoner's looking to repeat.
But Honda should have their top speed issues sorted out soon.

I think this new bike plays so well to the recent 250cc GP guys.

I think it'll be Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, and Rossi in the end, with an Honorable mention to Dovizioso.
Hayden seems to like the new RCV as well tho. he said it fit him more then the older bike did. not that i care, i don't like him anyway.

Was rossi not at this test?

·
MotoGP NEWS Guru
5,051 Posts
Tire crying hasn't begun yet. Michelin didn't have any problems testing last year. It was when the season began that they were off, especially at tracks they HADN'T tested at. But I'm pretty sure they'll have a bunch of data to go off from last season to be better prepared for this one.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Still 1 second ahead of the competition.

Couple of thoughts:

1) Marco Melandri is really struggling with the new bike isn't he?
2) Awesome pace by Toseland
3) Nice showing by Dovizioso

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Melandri can come to terms with the DUC. He showed real promise last year on the honda. And although I don't like him I think Pedrosa will also perform pretty damn well too. I guess we'll just have to wait the 30 something days and see. I can't wait.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts